Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 05:05 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,955,870 times

Advertisements

Looks like the Miata and the Civic Si are running neck and neck so to speak. And, i know they are both very reliable.

I will also check out the Genesis. Haven't seen that one. As for the Bimmer, my neighbor has 2, one for the shop and one to drive. Well that is kinda of an exaggeration but it is in the shop alot.

Yeah, the Mazda joker face is a little hard to take!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 08:32 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,072,505 times
I'd go with the genesis coupe, mazdaspeed3 or gti as top picks.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:42 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
The Miata is the most pure of the bunch, but its just too doggone impractical. Its teeny-tiny, the trunk is useless, and it sucks royal nuts to drive in inclement weather (mainly snow).

Id look into a Mazdaspeed3. Theyre more practical, sharp looking (maybe not the 2010 though), and haul major balls, easily the fastest out of the group you listed.

Steer clear of the Si unless you like squishy handling, high price, and laughable, spaceship-like interior.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:13 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,232,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
The Miata is the most pure of the bunch, but its just too doggone impractical. Its teeny-tiny, the trunk is useless, and it sucks royal nuts to drive in inclement weather (mainly snow).
Just because it is impractical for you doesn't mean it is impractical for everyone else. I never have any passengers in my car. There is no snow out here. As a single guy, the trunk is more than sufficient for me. In other words the Miata would be completely practical. I have even considered buy one as I really like them.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:32 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,304,991 times
yeah and the miata is a 100% sports car not an economy car with sporty features and add ons I would call the maita a mini corvette that get's good mpg's and them being a convertible with a optional hard top it makes it even more fun to cruise with in the summer time.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:48 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
Which small sporty/ economy car do you like?
BTW what is your definition of "sporty"? And what do you intend to do with a "sporty car"?

Do you want it to look sporty? Is it that you need it to have a manual transmission? Are you planning some performance modifications? Will you autocross it?

Old 01-31-2010, 07:29 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,169,054 times
all depends on what you want to use it for and what style driving you prefer.

if i could fit, i would have a Miata in the garage right now. from all i see and all i am told, they're everything i could want out of a fun, sporty car. go to any SCCA auto-x or road racing event. they're everywhere, and for good reason. but, when it comes to a day-to-day car to live with, it would probably get real old real quick. there's no storage space and no spots for friends. still, as a 2nd vehicle, perfect.

i REALLY like the Si sedan a lot. one of my co-workers has one, and it impresses me everytime we ride in it. the car feels VERY tight and VERY solid. the engine seems so happy and eager to just be wound all the way out, and the gearing keeps it in the sweet spot through all 6 gears. it's just an amazing little car, and by being a 4-door sedan, it's actually a very practical vehicle. it's my co-worker's family car and does just fine by them.

no experience with the others on your list so i can't say anything. however, aside from the Genesis coupe, i would also throw out the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky. again, i have no experience driving them, but i know several who do and seem to like it a lot. compared to the Miata, the Miata seems to get the nod, but obviously the big factor for these GM models right now is their price. GM is handing out tons of money for people to buy off the remaining Pontiacs and Saturns, so now would be a good time to take advantage.

Mike

Old 01-31-2010, 11:42 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,304,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
all depends on what you want to use it for and what style driving you prefer.

if i could fit, i would have a Miata in the garage right now. from all i see and all i am told, they're everything i could want out of a fun, sporty car. go to any SCCA auto-x or road racing event. they're everywhere, and for good reason. but, when it comes to a day-to-day car to live with, it would probably get real old real quick. there's no storage space and no spots for friends. still, as a 2nd vehicle, perfect.

i REALLY like the Si sedan a lot. one of my co-workers has one, and it impresses me everytime we ride in it. the car feels VERY tight and VERY solid. the engine seems so happy and eager to just be wound all the way out, and the gearing keeps it in the sweet spot through all 6 gears. it's just an amazing little car, and by being a 4-door sedan, it's actually a very practical vehicle. it's my co-worker's family car and does just fine by them.

no experience with the others on your list so i can't say anything. however, aside from the Genesis coupe, i would also throw out the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky. again, i have no experience driving them, but i know several who do and seem to like it a lot. compared to the Miata, the Miata seems to get the nod, but obviously the big factor for these GM models right now is their price. GM is handing out tons of money for people to buy off the remaining Pontiacs and Saturns, so now would be a good time to take advantage.

Mike
I almost for got the solstice and sky not a bad idea with the massive rebatea and 260HP turbocharged ecotec motor they are easy to mod and pretty good looking
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBCt6tsvvGo
the soltice coupe is pretty darn good looking IMO

Last edited by GTOlover; 01-31-2010 at 12:09 PM..

Old 01-31-2010, 11:50 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
^^ pwnd

Old 01-31-2010, 02:07 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
Peugeot 205 - sold in Mexico.
Fiat Nuevo 500 - several private collections have them in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive