Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 09:18 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,675,888 times

Advertisements

I'm putting gas in my '98 Corolla today and this fool is plowing the gas station lot...he starts backing up towards me...when he got to close for comfort, I started yelling....too late...BOOM...he took out my left headlight and the turn signal next to it.

Anyway, looking around on the 'net, I see replacement headlights...ranging from $80, on up to $160. Are they all the same, or are the higher dollar ones better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 09:27 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
when come to the bezel best bet is to go with oem IMO aftermarket is just not as good when it comes body parts

Old 01-31-2010, 09:31 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I'm putting gas in my '98 Corolla today and this fool is plowing the gas station lot...he starts backing up towards me...when he got to close for comfort, I started yelling....too late...BOOM...he took out my left headlight and the turn signal next to it.

Anyway, looking around on the 'net, I see replacement headlights...ranging from $80, on up to $160. Are they all the same, or are the higher dollar ones better?
With only 80 bucks difference, Car . . . go for the best possible since good night vision is important.

Besides, the "plowing fool" is paying, isn't he?

Old 01-31-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
...Besides, the "plowing fool" is paying, isn't he?

Well, I hope so, but the station owner (plow fool is his employee) wasn't there, but is supposed to be tomorrow. I don't want to hassle with estimates and all that crap, so I'm just going to tell him to buy the parts and I'll fix it.

The trouble is, if he's slimy...this isn't worth suing him over.

OEM would mean dealer or junkyard, right? Both are ripoffs and a hassle. I was just wondering why the big price spread on the 'net. I'll pay more for a better part, but I hate to pay more for the same thing...

Old 01-31-2010, 10:02 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Well, I hope so, but the station owner (plow fool is his employee) wasn't there, but is supposed to be tomorrow. I don't want to hassle with estimates and all that crap, so I'm just going to tell him to buy the parts and I'll fix it.

The trouble is, if he's slimy...this isn't worth suing him over.

OEM would mean dealer or junkyard, right? Both are ripoffs and a hassle. I was just wondering why the big price spread on the 'net. I'll pay more for a better part, but I hate to pay more for the same thing...
One word: eBay. I just checked and there are several 1998-2000 Carolla headlight assemblies available for between $25-$35; someone's got a front turn signal assembly for $32. Figure about $25 total shipping costs and you should be able to get both for well under $100, including shipping. Installation should be pretty easy too; usually it's just a couple of screws.

Heck, someone else is selling a pair of turn signal assemblies for $28. You could probably turn around and put the one you don't need right back up on eBay for about that much.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:01 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Only buy original equipment not "OEM Chinese fit" as most of the cheap new parts on ebay are. I would get it from a junkyard, I just bought a turn signal/running light for my car from a junkyard for $25.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Only buy original equipment not "OEM Chinese fit" as most of the cheap new parts on ebay are. I would get it from a junkyard, I just bought a turn signal/running light for my car from a junkyard for $25.

That's what I ended up doing...lucked out and found both lights at the only junkyard that is reasonably close to me. A bit pricey at $125 for both...but they are OEM....and I already installed them, so it's a done deal. Went by the gas station and told the boss to give me $200...$125 for the parts and $75 for my trouble. He whipped his wallet out immediately and gave me $200...I think he knew he was getting off easy. If I had taken it to a body shop and sent him the bill, it probably would have been 2 or 3 times that.

One thing though...how do you know a junkyard part is OEM? Before the junkyard car was wrecked, somebody could have put an aftermarket part on it! I'm pretty sure the headlight assy I bought is OEM beacuse all the numbers on it matched the old one that I know was OEM because I bought the car new...but neither of them say Toyota or have the Toyota logo on it.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:45 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,174,224 times
Quote:
One thing though...how do you know a junkyard part is OEM? Before the junkyard car was wrecked, somebody could have put an aftermarket part on it! I'm pretty sure the headlight assy I bought is OEM beacuse all the numbers on it matched the old one that I know was OEM because I bought the car new...but neither of them say Toyota or have the Toyota logo on it.
you basically nailed it. match the PNs.

Mike

Old 02-01-2010, 07:23 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Dude, you're talking about a car that's 12 model years old. I wouldn't worry much about whether the headlight and side marker assemblies are OEM. It's not like they're critical parts. Do they aim and disperse the light in the right direction? If yes, then you're good to go.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Dude, you're talking about a car that's 12 model years old. I wouldn't worry much about whether the headlight and side marker assemblies are OEM. It's not like they're critical parts. Do they aim and disperse the light in the right direction? If yes, then you're good to go.

I didn't particularly care about OEM or not. But when I started browsing the aftermarket sites...a few bragged that their lights "fit like OEM"...leading me to wonder if maybe the cheaper lights DON'T fit like OEM...

But it's moot...I'm legal again.

PS: Whoever made the headlight bulbs in that Corolla did a great job. After 12 years and 160,000 miles, both bulbs are the original. And the car has DRLs...so they're on ALL the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive