Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 02:23 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,979,128 times

Advertisements

2WD can alright on less-than-perfect roads, but the issue is that you don't have as much leeway should one lose traction. With AWD/4WD, you still have the other set of drive wheels to keep you going.

With that in mind, how off-road will these places be anyways? If it's smooth dirt trails, I don't foresee much of an issue with FWD. If it's not so smooth, with some ruts and bumps, then AWD + additional ground clearance at the minimum. If it's rockier than that, nothing less than a 4WD with a low-range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 05:02 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
My Mother has had a Chrysler mini van in her driveway since about 6 months after they first came out. I have driven many of hers in all types of weather, I have owned mini-vans from Chrysler, Ford, and Chevy as well. I also owned a GMC Safari (Chevy Astro) in AWD and can assure you they do MUCH better in every kind of driving except dry pavement than a regular front-wheel drive mini van. Put the right tires on it and they will astound you where they will go... LIMITED mainly by their low clearance. You will never win a mud-run using an Astro even with the best tires, but you sure can be a LOT further off road than you could be using a 2 wheel drive version. Don't expect to crawl over huge rocks, or plow through deep mud or water, but they will get you into (and out of) places that will turn heads of the 4X4 crowd. I used to run mine out through the back woods and remote areas in the North Maine Woods all the time. Camping, rock climbing, hunting, fishing, etc... used it to get back wherever I needed to go.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:31 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
^^ Thanks.

So it sounds like AWD might be a good feature for a minivan, depending on who made the AWD system.

Sounds similar to the "4x4" claim; many different kinds of systems available varying vastly in terms of reliability and strength.
For example I think the newer Honda's offered with "4x4" don't have a two-speed transfer case,
making me wonder what's the difference between it and AWD. Part-time 4x4 with no Lo-Range?
But almost every other car company that offers 4x4 makes them with a two-speed t-case.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:17 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Yesterday driving home it struck me that you might want to consider something like a Jeep Cherokee, if you get one of those with a 4.0 6-pot and a 5-speed, either full time 4WD or part-time as suits your tastes and what you can find and get a deal on, they are a pretty satisfying vehicle and would have off-road capability way beyond any kind of mini-van. You could trade off some size and off-road ability for better fuel economy and probably better build quality as well by going to a Subaru Outback or even Tribeca.

Beyond that, with the possible exception of the Honda Odyssey, mini-vans are cars for "non-car-people", they are aimed squarely at a soccer-mom buyer, so it's not surprising that we in the enthusiast community generally don't like them.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:38 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Beyond that, with the possible exception of the Honda Odyssey, mini-vans are cars for "non-car-people", they are aimed squarely at a soccer-mom buyer, so it's not surprising that we in the enthusiast community generally don't like them.
Agreed! If I were going for more off-road than utility or cargo capacity, I always took my tricked out Jeep CJ-5. If I needed to haul more than a thimble full of stuff, or more than 2 people, the Safari was a very good alternative.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:26 PM

55 posts, read 245,174 times
My father brought 1998 Mitsubishi Chariot Grandis (European Space Wagon) week ago, 4X4. It is for Japanese domestic market. We had Mazda Premacy before that. Mazda was FWD.
I drove Mitsubishi in snow. It is new to me, so I have not tested its capabilities thoroughly, but it is very good in snow. Mazda had problems even with 3 passengers on board and was very hard to drive in 180 degree corners on a snow roads in mountains, Mitsubishi had no problems with that even with 5 passengers on board. Ground clearance is the same, so I don't think it will be handful on off-road, but it will give big difference in muddy weather for sure.

PS It seems 4X4 versions are less comfortable than 2WD versions.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:24 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
go for a ford E-series full size van it is pretty much a 3/4 ton truck with real 4x4 capabilities
4x4? You must mean after market conversions...no?

Old 02-03-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
4x4? You must mean after market conversions...no?
I've heard of a few years that Ford offered factory 4x4 in their full-size vans. Pretty-rare though.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:11 PM

One of the reasons I might like a minivan is the ability to carry long, light objects inside the vehicle; say 7-9 feet long?

A minivan seems to be the most fuel efficient way to do this,
and I find their higher seating more comfy than lower car seats for long drives...
but when it comes to off-pavement capabilities it seems to run into this grey area.

Though it would be a lot more fun,
for me to have a "tricked-out" 4x4 large enough to safely carry gear like this,
I would expect double the intial costs, as well as double
(or more if I don't "behave" ) the operating costs.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:07 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Yesterday driving home it struck me that you might want to consider something like a Jeep Cherokee, if you get one of those with a 4.0 6-pot and a 5-speed, either full time 4WD or part-time as suits your tastes and what you can find and get a deal on, they are a pretty satisfying vehicle and would have off-road capability way beyond any kind of mini-van.
Unfortunately, you could only ever get the dual Full-Time/Part-Time (NP242) transfer case from the factory with an automatic transmission. There is nothing that mechanically prevents the Full-Time 4WD system from being used behind a manual transmission, Jeep just never sold them that way. I have come across a few people online who have swapped manual transmissions into their factory automatic Cherokees and Grand Cherokees in front of the NP242 with no problems to speak of. It isn't that common of a swap, even though it's fairly simple and doesn't require any custom fabrication, but automatics are generally preferable for hardcore off-roading. Vehicles with this transfer case are usually badged "Selec-Trac".

Newer Jeep Full-Time 4WD systems were only found in the Grand Cherokee and Commander, always behind an automatic....and they were total junk, IMO. No 2WD option and in some cases, no low range. The only benefit I see is that you get superior traction at all times with less potential of some moron binding the axles. This system is usually badged "QuadraTrac", "QuadraDrive" or something similar.

5-speed Cherokees, Libertys and all Wranglers have always used the NP231 transfer case, which is Part-Time 4WD only with high range and low range. It's essentially an NP242 minus the vicious coupling to facilitate AWD usage. They stuck this transfer case behind automatic transmissions in several models as well....even in V8 Grand Cherokees. It's generally considered the strongest factory unit available. If you're gonna get a 5-speed Cherokee, this isn't a bad option at all....you will just be limited to 4WD usage in strictly off-road situations.

I'm somewhat biased, but I'd recommend a Cherokee over an AWD minivan any day. With the rear seat folded flat they've got tons of storage capacity. Length-wise, probably about the same as most minivans....though top-to-bottom they are at a disadvantage. In any case, a 4.0l powered XJ is just a lot more fun to drive than any minivan I've ever been behind the wheel of....plus they're dirt cheap and bulletproof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian
Sounds similar to the "4x4" claim; many different kinds of systems available varying vastly in terms of reliability and strength.
For example I think the newer Honda's offered with "4x4" don't have a two-speed transfer case,
making me wonder what's the difference between it and AWD. Part-time 4x4 with no Lo-Range?
It's purely semantic, there is no "official", proper usage of all these terms. AWD usually refers to all four wheels being driven 100% of the time, and intended for on-road usage to improve stability in slippery conditions. 4WD or 4x4 usually refers to part time systems that cannot be used on-road.....however, I suppose it is still technically correct to label ANY vehicle where all four wheels are driven (either full-time or part-time) as a "Four Wheel Drive".

Even within these definitions, there are many different types of AWD and 4WD systems. Mercedes-Benz' 4MATIC is much different from Audi's Quattro system...and both are entirely different from the aforementioned Jeep "Selec-Trac" implementation of "AWD". I've also seen many Japanese and European AWD cars with model designation that includes "4x4". No clue about Honda's current AWD/4WD system (in the Pilot, I'm guessing?) but no matter what car/truck it is you would have to do your own research to see how it works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive