Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 04:18 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,960,110 times

Advertisements

My every day driver is a 1985 245 Volvo wagon with 2.1 cc's and TURBO, and it gets a oil change each 3,500 like clock work. it has the original engine not rebuilt and the original turbo not replaced. It has apx 275,000+ miles. Original cluth too....

I agree 100% to avoid Frame filters at all costs.... Fram was bought out long ago and who ever make these filters makes junk. I preosnall bought 2 and installed on and went 2 miles before if packed it self up inside the can and my GAUGE read 0 BAR (1 bar = 14 psi) I walked back and got the other filteer and drove back to where I started and read 0 BAR again. I cut the cans open and the paper was nashed against the out flow holes up hard...

No more of that for me! One time is all the trust all a big company gets..

You can run WIX filters, which are what all the others are measured by. NAPA gold is a brand name from WIX.

Turbo Volo filters are a bit different since they hold oil at the turbo, and wix has these and in NAPA gold...

There is no such thing as changing the oil too much really, but get some use, but I wouldn't pass 5,500 unless you run amsoil and i never have.

That old volvo is far to old for syn oils, and I run that in my 1600 cc Kawii Nomad V twin, and WIX filters. Since the tranny shares engine oil and the clutch is wet i run Moble 1 for car with no EC lable (EC=energy conserving which are additives very bad for a wet clutch)

This engine is part water cooled, bit only 2.5 QUARTS, and the tranny gears slice oil molecules and crush them, so the oil has to do a lot more than it does in a auto engine.

Some where between 3000 and 5,500 is where you want to start a base point. Stop and go city driving is harder on oil than hi highway driving.

Some habits are hard on oil like reving engine in neutral at shut down, something some people do and I have no idea why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 04:59 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,676,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Can you please cite some references or data to back this up?

Engine parts are not dry when the engine is started. Gravity will cause oil to flow "down" but camshafts, pistons, etc all have some oil on them.
If only it were this simple. The engine can get no lubrication at all unless it is being pressurized by a pump. Then engine oil pump is not working until the engine is running so for that few brief seconds the engine is being started there is no lubrications possible.....the engine is running dry.

This is called boundary lubrication.
"Lubrication is the process, or technique employed to reduce wear of one or both surfaces in relative motion to one another by interposing a substance called lubricant between the surfaces to carry or to help carry the load (pressure generated) between the opposing surfaces.

Boundary lubrication - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-03-2010, 06:00 PM

335 posts, read 1,311,103 times
With todays oils it is a waste of money and oil. The "3 month/3000 mile" rule is a myth perpetrated by the quick change places. Only in the US a lot of people still believe and follow it.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:24 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,676,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach.guy View Post
The "3 month/3000 mile" rule is a not a myth perpetrated by the quick change places. Only in the US a lot of people still convinced to believe and follow it.
Believe it...........

Old 02-03-2010, 07:30 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,905,478 times
If you don't change your oil every 3K miles you are asking for serious trouble--even with Mobile One or Royal Purple.

Change your oil tightwads!

Old 02-04-2010, 01:11 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,236,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
If you don't change your oil every 3K miles you are asking for serious trouble--even with Mobile One or Royal Purple.

Didn't you read the oil change where people were driving their cars 200,000 miles without ever changing the oil?

Old 02-04-2010, 10:28 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,341,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach.guy View Post
The "3 month/3000 mile" rule is a not a myth perpetrated by the quick change places. Only in the US a lot of people still convinced to believe and follow it.
Believe it...........
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post

Could you fine gents care to explain to me how my car is running perfectly on 9.000 mile oil/filter changes then?

Or how pretty much all Toyotas in the whole of Norway can survive the same treatment for 200.000 miles and more?

Or how 9000 is the lowest changing cycle on a new BMW 3 series, but it can last up to 15000 miles between changes?

By both your rationality all of Europe should be filled with cars that doesn't run, yet some how, quite magically, they do!

Old 02-04-2010, 10:57 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
It will not ruin the engine but with modern additive packages in oil 'it is a waste of moeny. The manufauturers and oil companies do alot of testing on their recommeded maintanance schedules . The problems i see is too many change oil at 3000 and lets other things go undone really.One fot eh thibgs testing has shown is that it really doesn't matter if its synthis oil or crude absed the change schedule is the same because of teh additive packages. Also the only real advanatge in synthic is when the engine overheats.I have friends who work in the reaserch labs of local oil companies where they do testing all the time.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:05 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,875,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Could you fine gents care to explain to me how my car is running perfectly on 9.000 mile oil/filter changes then?

Or how pretty much all Toyotas in the whole of Norway can survive the same treatment for 200.000 miles and more?

Or how 9000 is the lowest changing cycle on a new BMW 3 series, but it can last up to 15000 miles between changes?

By both your rationality all of Europe should be filled with cars that doesn't run, yet some how, quite magically, they do!
I guess you have never taken apart an engine with 10k oil changes have you? In Europe where $$ is more scarce and everything including oil is more expensive they recommend overdue oil changes simply to keep owners happy that they don't have to spend $$ on their cars. Over here in the US oil changes are so cheap its makes NO sense NOT to change it regularly.. Take it from an engine builder and an SAE member on that..

Old 02-04-2010, 11:12 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,341,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
I guess you have never taken apart an engine with 10k oil changes have you? In Europe where $$ is more scarce and everything including oil is more expensive they recommend overdue oil changes simply to keep owners happy that they don't have to spend $$ on their cars. Over here in the US oil changes are so cheap its makes NO sense NOT to change it regularly.. Take it from an engine builder and an SAE member on that..
I have seen 10K engines picked apart actually, and they looked absolutely flawless.

The fact that the oil still has it's viscosity at that change cycle is also a good sign that it works.

Of course, it's part of the story that no ones in their right mind over here would use anything other than full synthetic on a 1996 or newer. My own is a 98 and has always had full synthetic. Engine runs smooth as silk, even now, when it's technically overdue for a change.

And $$ is more scarce? I live in the second richest country (per capita) in the world. You'll make $70-90K a year working a warehouse, so I'd say we're good on money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive