Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 02:44 AM

404 posts, read 1,548,766 times

Advertisements

i don't like it or the idea of it. i just wish GM would stick to one name for a model. and stop bringing them back and passing them out like they never meant anything. remember when a Malibu was a cool two door? nah, me neither

GM lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 05:38 AM

1,333 posts, read 3,211,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
dumbass
Wow, what a little b***h.

You said the DOMESTIC MANUFACTURERS have made junk in the last 40 years. Does that not mean all of them? I guess by domestic manufactures, you only mean GM? That makes a lot of sense.

Quit being a retard and explain yourself better.

Last edited by Chadro77; 04-12-2010 at 05:47 AM..

Old 04-12-2010, 05:58 AM

1,000 posts, read 2,341,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploopy View Post
i don't like it or the idea of it. i just wish GM would stick to one name for a model. and stop bringing them back and passing them out like they never meant anything. remember when a Malibu was a cool two door? nah, me neither

GM lol
Agreed...that's why I want to see them eliminate the Cavalier/Cobalt strategy and keep the Cruze as a sedan only at least in name. At present, you have the Cobalt base, LS, 1LT, 2LT...plus Cobalt Coupe, LS, 1LT, 2LT, and SS. That's not including all the offshoots throughout the production cycle like the XFE, RS, and who only knows what I'm probably forgetting about. Why can't they just have a base model, the RS package, and then an SS performance version? Is adding air conditioning really worth calling something the "LS" as opposed to just making it an option for the base model or even tossing it in as standard? They're ridiculous.

As far as the Cruze goes, I don't see why they couldn't just make the "Eco" model the standard base model Cruze, slot the RS as a slightly more powerful middle car, and then make a 4 door SS model with a big engine...then do as I said before in my other post and introduce another 2 door econo-sport coupe with a completely different name so that things stay civilized as opposed to having 20-some different Cruze variations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
This pisses me off. I cannot for the life of me understand what the hell they were thinking when they put that big stupid goofy grin on that car. They finally make some needed dynamic changes to the Speed3, and then they do this to it... This is worse than Acura putting a Transformers logo on the front of its cars.

I bet someone could make a little bit of extra money designing and selling replacement front fascias for this car.
TRANSFORMERS!!! ACURAS IN DISGUISE!!!!!!!

Yeah the front 100% kills that car for me. It just screams Japanese cartoons, "I've had too much sugar", laughing gas, and potential devil worship. Fantastic little car, but wow...just wow. I'd never rag on anybody for owning it, that's for sure, but it's just not right at all. But in other news..I'm really excited about Hyundai's "Veloster", it looks like it'll be a great addition to the Speed3/Scirocco class...probably leading in fuel efficiency and possibly power/weight ratios, all while avoiding the use of Mazda smileys: Hyundai Veloster Coupe spy shots | Hyundai-Blog

Last edited by TelecasterBlues; 04-12-2010 at 06:26 AM..

Old 04-12-2010, 07:19 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,409,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TelecasterBlues View Post
I actually think that would make a good deal of sense...turbo 4s are going to become more common and it'd probably be a good advertising/selling point. Something like that would probably put Chevy inline with Hyundai's engine options...never in a million years did I ever think that Hyundai would emerge as an industry leader in engine technology, but they're about to do big things with the next gen Elantra/Accent considering where they are with the Sonata. Ford is still a bit of a mystery, but the Fiesta gives a good sign of things to come.

I wish they would....but they'll never do that since it would canibalize Camaro sales, as would reintroducing the original roadster Solstice to go along with the new Camaro drop-top. I just don't think they'd be able to use the Kappa platform to make a vehicle cheap enough, that's why I figured that an small 160-200ish turbo 4cyl FWD sports car that had the looks of a modern GM muscle car but using the basic framework of the Cruze would make the most sense. They could use it to fight FWD pocket rockets like the Mini Cooper S, Mazda Speed3, upcoming Hyundai "Veloster", Volkswagen's Scirocco and Ford's Focus RS which need to come stateside, etc and bring a variation of the American muscle car into a different class.
I'm wondering if GM is going to go after the cars you list using the upcoming Aveo platform. The car show Aveo RS physically looks like a competitor for those cars. We'd all have to wait and see how well it's built, it's suspension handling, and engine choices. I don't think of the Cruze as a performance car worthy of an SS label but drop GM's 2.4 engine and call it an LS would be nice. In the world market, RS stands for Rally Sport and the Cruze is not a world rally race car so it does not really deserve the RS label. Such an engine would provide more power and torque for this small car without a massive gain in vehicle weight. Remember all those years of the V6 cavaliers? They weren't really fast, especially when compared to their 4 banger Japanese and German competitors. I really wish GM engineers would reverse engineer their successful competitors to find out how they can take a small engine and make it produce so much horsepower while still being smooth and quiet without using turbos, superchargers, or direct injection.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:36 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,024,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
Wow, what a little b***h.

You said the DOMESTIC MANUFACTURERS have made junk in the last 40 years. Does that not mean all of them? I guess by domestic manufactures, you only mean GM? That makes a lot of sense.

Quit being a retard and explain yourself better.
If you would learn to read you would see that I was referring to smalll cars.

Why should I explain myself to someone that cannot, or refuses to see the point. What I said is on record and is obvious to someone that actually comprehends the written language.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:25 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,211,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
If you would learn to read you would see that I was referring to smalll cars.

Why should I explain myself to someone that cannot, or refuses to see the point. What I said is on record and is obvious to someone that actually comprehends the written language.
I know you said small cars, my mistake for not clarifying. Domestic companies have made junk small cars for 40 years. Better?

No matter, I see what kind of person I'm dealing with. Paint a broad picture of something your not really knowledgeable about and criticize anyone for challenging it.

40 years of junk SMALL cars, yeah yeah whatever. Got it.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:40 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,024,797 times
Quote:
I know you said small cars, my mistake for not clarifying. Domestic companies have made junk small cars for 40 years. Better?

No matter, I see what kind of person I'm dealing with. Paint a broad picture of something your not really knowledgeable about and criticize anyone for challenging it.

40 years of junk SMALL cars, yeah yeah whatever. Got it.
Yup, now you got it. Sure took long enough...

You are the one that said you did not have much experience with them.

Quote:
Thats right. I've don't really have much experience with Domestics from the 60's 70's 80's and 90's. I have owned them in this decade so I guess I can give my opinion. Seeing that we are talking about a car for 2011. I guess I could be like you and say that all domestics suck because they made bad cars in 1981 .

I buy trucks, the wife buys everything else.
I have been driving small cars (and midsize, big and trucks) for over 35 years pretty much equally among domestics, German, Asian, even French and Italian, so I think I have some knowledge on the subject. You made some pretty wild assumptions about what I think of Asian cars that where unfounded, so...

yeah yeah whatever.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:30 AM

well i made a big post decrying GM for doing the Cruze while the Saturn Astra seemed like something they could never do. and of course they didn't, as Opel does the Astra

anyway, i then saw this

//www.city-data.com/forum/autom...pel-astra.html

is this true? is the Cruze simply a rebadged Astra inside and out? how will they sell it for less then $20,000? and how will they explain the huge leap in quality? are the cars coming from Belgium like the Astra did?

seems a wacky idea if so. yet if not and the Cruze just "borrows" certain mechanicals from the Astra, i don't expect much

just bring the Saturn Astra back. the best small car GM never built

Old 04-13-2010, 09:29 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,348,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploopy View Post
l

is this true? is the Cruze simply a rebadged Astra inside and out? how will they sell it for less then $20,000? and how will they explain the huge leap in quality? are the cars coming from Belgium like the Astra did?
The Cruze is another Korean product. If you have to compete with Hyundai, well it kind of makes sense to use a directly competing company.
2011 Chevrolet Cruze - First Drive Review - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver

Old 04-15-2010, 07:31 PM

^ well this frustrates me to no end. is it just that Americans don't want better cars to drive?

i was aware Saturn had started taking things from Opel, but not entire cars! its sort of a shame GM couldn't come up with product of its own to sell as Saturns, but if you OWN a car company (Opel) which builds better cars then its parent company (GM) and you can literally take cars and sell them however you want and call them whatever you want, i would think you could build cars based on the better ones, too

why would you build a "new" Chevy based on a Korean brand when you have the ability to build, import, and / or sell an even better small car based on sound European engineering?

Saturn Astra's have been compared to premium small Volvo's, Audi's, Benz's, and BMW's. not in performance or luxury, but in build quality, ride, practicality, and driving dynamics. yet in some reviews i have read i've seen "do americans want a european driving experience?

well yes, we do. especially if it comes with a thrifty engine and a double sized sunroof!. do we want a hatchback?

maybe not, but just throw a trunk on the sucker and call it a day. these cars can be had with 15000m on the odo for around 13 grand. trouble is they are scarce. but i tell you what, if i were in the market a for a small used car today, i would drive cross country to get one. look at this car! its gotta be the best small car value on the used market by far. why but a Cruze when you can have this

i think i want one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive