Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 08:51 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,999,039 times

Advertisements

With about 25 inches in the past day, I still wonder why idiots are stranded on the interstate. Duhh, the State said... stay off the road because we're struggling to keep just one lane open on the intertstate...yet some fool has got to get a Big Mac.

But it does beg the question. So if the State can barely keep one lane open, how come it is that this fool could figure out how to drive on the secondary roads but lost all whit when driving on the one lane that the State just plowed??

I'm just wondering how long it'll be until the State declares an emergency making it illegal to be out and about now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 09:02 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,676,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checking out View Post
With about 25 inches in the past day, I still wonder why idiots are stranded on the interstate. Duhh, the State said... stay off the road because we're struggling to keep just one lane open on the intertstate...yet some fool has got to get a Big Mac.

But it does beg the question. So if the State can barely keep one lane open, how come it is that this fool could figure out how to drive on the secondary roads but lost all whit when driving on the one lane that the State just plowed??

I'm just wondering how long it'll be until the State declares an emergency making it illegal to be out and about now.
25 inches in one day? Holy buckets - where do you live? This sounds like the Buffalo, NY area.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:53 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Damn, everyone else is getting all the good snow this year but us. Jeez, even part of Texas got over a foot last week.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:17 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
I don't know how to drive in snow so I avoid driving in places that have snow. The one time I had to drive through snow, I drove as if there was standing water on the road. I drove below the posted speed limit, braked very early, accelerated softly, and sometimes shifted to low 1 or 2 depending on the grade and road conditions. Yep, I may have upset some other drivers, but I did not hit any of them with my car. Did enjoy the A-hole who was in such a rush that he honked his horn and flashed his brights at me. Then when he got a chance, he hit the gas and passed me in his 4x4 truck. As he swerved to get back in the lane, he slid in a circle and hit the ditch. I gave him a one finger wave as I passed him by.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:26 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
25 inches in one day? Holy buckets - where do you live? This sounds like the Buffalo, NY area.
Must be DC or Baltimore. Check the news. We got hammered with almost two feet of snow for the last 24 hours and it is still snowing.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:35 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,676,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Must be DC or Baltimore. Check the news. We got hammered with almost two feet of snow for the last 24 hours and it is still snowing.
Wow. I heard that the East Coast was supposed to get hammered, but hadn't paid a lot of attention.

Good luck with that!

Old 02-06-2010, 01:05 PM

For those who live in snow country, do you use this type of snow shovel?
Wovel :: World's Safest Snow Shovel!
I've never shoveled snow in my life but I thought this was a fantastic idea

Old 02-06-2010, 01:29 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
For those who live in snow country, do you use this type of snow shovel?
Wovel :: World's Safest Snow Shovel!
I've never shoveled snow in my life but I thought this was a fantastic idea
Nope, this is what I use Troy Bilt

Actually that snow "shovel" in your link looks like it would be a giant pain in the ass to use after a real snow storm. Might be nice for a couple of inches on a flat, smooth driveway though... if you could ignore the neighbors hysterical laughter.

Old 02-06-2010, 01:35 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,190,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Actually that's not true.

Take two cities: Minneapolis & Memphis.
Add 2" of snow.
What happens in each city? In Minneapolis life goes on without a hitch. In Memphis the entire city goes ballistic.

Also, there is more to driving in snow than just the driving. It involves having the right vehicle, having the right tires, adding weight to your vehicle.

As a former Minnesotan, I can definitely say there's a LOT more to driving in snow than a couple minutes' practice.
Sorry,Omaha, but this Minnesotan has to disagree about Minnesota drivers being superior.

Many times this week, a light snow fall fell at morning and evening rush hours in the Minneapolis metro area. The Mpls TV station showed the metro freeways--------some resembled parking lots.

Why ?-----cuz of all the flashing lights of cop cars and wreckers responding to cars in the ditch.

Yup, an inch of snow at rush hour causes pure havoc on the metro freeways.

Even around St Cloud there are wrecks galore when as litle as 1 inch of snow falls at rush hour.

Old 02-06-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Nope, this is what I use Troy Bilt

Actually that snow "shovel" in your link looks like it would be a giant pain in the ass to use after a real snow storm. Might be nice for a couple of inches on a flat, smooth driveway though... if you could ignore the neighbors hysterical laughter.
Damn, that's expensive. Around here, at those prices I'd rather buy an electric generator. I still slap my head when I think about my cousin. He and his wife had a home built and included a built in automatic natural gas powered electric generator with enough power to light up the whole home. Few years later they moved. Oh, forgot to mention that they were receiving monthly checks from the oil company that was sucking oil out from under the ground of the home they had built. Bye-bye generator and bye-bye checks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive