Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 08:03 PM

141 posts, read 504,799 times

Advertisements

Cops good drivers, ha. I've seen my share of their screw ups where I live. I work for the city I live in, and work out of the building that maintains their vehicles. I've seen the wrecked cars they've driven, and while not all their fault, they are at fault more often than you think, and often times while not even in pursuit. Our police force here seems to have quite a few under 25 yr. olds as cops, they all think they're Richard Petty. lol We've got a pile of bent rims laying in our scrap heap from their over zealous driving. Yes, they do get stuck, they do wreck, and most here aren't any better than the average Joe, when it comes to winter driving. As others have said, you just don't hear about it very often as they tend to cover each other's backs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 02:06 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingit View Post
Cops good drivers, ha. I've seen my share of their screw ups where I live. I work for the city I live in, and work out of the building that maintains their vehicles. I've seen the wrecked cars they've driven, and while not all their fault, they are at fault more often than you think, and often times while not even in pursuit. Our police force here seems to have quite a few under 25 yr. olds as cops, they all think they're Richard Petty. lol We've got a pile of bent rims laying in our scrap heap from their over zealous driving. Yes, they do get stuck, they do wreck, and most here aren't any better than the average Joe, when it comes to winter driving. As others have said, you just don't hear about it very often as they tend to cover each other's backs.

There is that too. But at least *some* cops get actual training on track and on skid pans, while "Joe Sixpack" typically gets Driver's Ed from some Bozo the Football Coach (that's what I got back in the day) who at best does no harm, and at worst teaches all sorts of bad habits.

But cops are people and run the gamut, some are good at this, some at that, some are pretty well-rounded good performers, some are just there for the paycheck and the donuts. Only cops who are car guys (gals) or become such during training really drive well. You can't train someone to excellence if they are not interested in the topic.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:39 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
I saw a cop try to cross the medium once to catch a speeder, he got stuck in the mud.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:36 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,910,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I saw a cop try to cross the medium once to catch a speeder, he got stuck in the mud.
I wish I could see that

Old 03-10-2010, 09:18 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,191,210 times
How come I never see cop cars stuck, sliding or slipping in the snow?

Because you either haven't lived very long or haven't been in the right place at the right time.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:16 PM

749 posts, read 2,439,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
LOL, what a load of horse poo.

The reason the cops don't have as hard of a time as most people is because they have training for driving on snow and ice. Plus if the department is in snow country, they don't run all-season tires, they switch over to dedicated snow tires on all 4 corners of the vehicle.

Most ignorant post I've read since I've been on CD. So what your saying is a 23-30 year old rookie state trooper with some snow and ice training can outwheel a 50 year old who has been driving on snow and ice all his life? So cops are only ones who switch over to snow tires in winter?

Fact, especially in rural areas in Michigan, certain roads that lead to hospitals especially with good trauma centers are plowed far more than others just winding around out off the beaten path, cops know this, they respond to accident scenes, frequent hospitals all the time.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:07 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Cops eat a lot of doughnuts, so they have extra weight in their trunk and that helps them avaoi getting stuck.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:18 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,201,566 times
A cop died here in Chicago because of driving in snow responding to a call last month.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:25 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolcustomer View Post
Most ignorant post I've read since I've been on CD. So what your saying is a 23-30 year old rookie state trooper with some snow and ice training can outwheel a 50 year old who has been driving on snow and ice all his life? So cops are only ones who switch over to snow tires in winter?
Where did I say any of this? Your reading comprehension is quite low isn't it?

Quote:
Fact, especially in rural areas in Michigan, certain roads that lead to hospitals especially with good trauma centers are plowed far more than others just winding around out off the beaten path, cops know this, they respond to accident scenes, frequent hospitals all the time.
Fact, you didn't say a thing about roads leading to hospitals. you said the roads 10 miles on either side of State Police posts were plowed and salted heavily. If you passed more than one on your commute, you must have had a LONG commute in Michigan, they are spaced far apart. That is what I was calling a load of BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive