Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 06:03 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,704,794 times

Advertisements

I think speed limits in the NE are so low that nobody pays attention to them anymore. Plus, everyone deals better with traffic because congestion has taught them how to be decisive and work with other drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 06:32 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,174,224 times
i don't know if it's so much a 'East vs West' thing as it is a 'Metro vs Rural' thing when it comes to lane discipline. i've found that, outside of metro areas, people are generally good at staying to the right unless passing. get close to a metro area, though, and all bets are off.

Mike

Old 02-08-2010, 07:07 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Try driving I95 between DC and FL. The route# is the average speed. All lanes are passing lanes and nobody signals. Probably why most accidents I've passed have been one car.

And when I've driven on the west coast and passed signs that say "End Speed Limit" I've watched cars pass me as if I were standing still, but hey they do signal.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:35 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,225,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
It's somewhat dependent on the general I.Q. of your fellow motorists.

Whenever i hear people trot out the sorry line about how "speed kills", i immediately think, yes it does. And if you hadn't done so much of it, your brain would be able to comprehend that the argument is flawed!
I disagree. The Md/DC/Va area is supposed to have some of the best public education and some of the smartest people in the U.S.. Yet 60% of all vehicle accident fatalities from the last 5 years have occurred there.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:14 AM

874 posts, read 2,875,416 times
I agree with someone who had earlier stated that it is more of an urban/rural thing rather than having anything to do with the general intelligence of people within a given area or east coast/west coast. I reside on Long Island in New York and the way I see it, the fast paced lifestyle is what keeps the speeds high. Everyone here tends to be in a constant rush to get to work, get home, or get wherever else they are trying to go. People here tend to work within the five boroughs of New York City which is an hour away when there is no traffic. I believe people are so used to sitting in that traffic that when there is none, they try to take advantage of the situation and drive as fast as they can.

I disagree with those that say this is a good thing. Most of the time there is traffic on the highways here it is due to accidents which occur when the traffic is moving quicker while people are in the "oh good, I can fly" mode. The accident then causes everyone to sit in bumper to bumper traffic again. If people would just do the speed limit and concentrate on driving rather than making up ten minutes when the traffic lets up there would be less accidents resulting in less traffic problems.

People also tend to ignore the fact that something unexpected can happen such as a blowout, mechanical failure, etc. These things are much worse while traveling at speeds above the posted speed limit. A blowout at 85 miles per hour definitely makes it harder to control the vehicle than a blowout at 55 miles per hour.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:52 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
I've driven in 40 states, and Massachusetts is by far the worst I've ever driven in...local roads are pot-holed and winding, drivers are rude and rarely use their turn signals. Highways are dark and there is always construction going on.

California has the best highway system and local roads, even if they don't know how to drive in the rain out there. Well maintained and clean. Wide lanes, and local roads are not beaten up by harsh winters, nor are they old horse trails that have been paved over. My only gripe is the use of speed dips instead of bumps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive