Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 11:43 AM

42 posts, read 167,734 times

Advertisements

I am considering two vehicles and would like any feedback regarding the 2012 Hyundai Sonata turbo and the 2012 Mazda 3s hatchback. These would be my top two choices for cars if I did not get an SUV. I need the space because we travel frequently with two dog crates and luggage in the back. Thank you in advance for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 12:37 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,533,746 times
Go with the 3...better built, more fun, has the versatility of the hatch..

Old 11-09-2011, 12:57 PM

21,875 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Well, take your dog crates and luggage to the dealership and try it out. I've got bigger dogs. I just drop the back seat and throw the dogs in the back of the car. They pretty much take up the entirety of the backseat and hatch area by themselves leaving little room for luggage. Then again, we're talking dogs that are 80 and 60 pounds respectively. You may well be able to crate the dogs in either the hatch or back seat leaving the other section for luggage.

There's always the Mazdapeed3 as well if you want more power. The rider will be better in the Sonata, but if you enjoy driving I'd definitely say get the Mazda. The hatch makes loading a lot easier. I'm usually traveling light with a carry-on sized luggage only, but if you're running around with large suitcases that's another benefit to the Mazda. As versatile as the Mazda3 is, it's still a small car. If you find you can't quite fit everything take a look at the Fit as well. Smaller, but better at swallowing up tons of stuff than the Mazda is.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:20 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,464,792 times
We happen to own both of those cars, a 2011 Sonata and a 2008 Mazdaspeed3. I've actually owned two Mazda 3's now. If I were you I'd take your crates to the dealership and see which one fits best for you as suggested above. The 3 obviously has the hatch which is nice in your case, but the backseat of the Sonata is quite spacious and might work.

Assuming both cars work in terms of your crate it comes down to which ride you prefer. I personally prefer the Sonata over my 3 when we take trips anywhere. It has a lot of nice amenities and the ride is just better. Of course we do have the Limited Edition Sonata so it's setup to ride smoother. We tried the Sonata GLS, Sport and Limited (turbo wasn't out then) and the difference between the ride quality of those three vehicles was pretty significant.

The 3 is obviously a car we like in the family since it's our second one. I traded in my '04 3s for a '08 Speed3 as I really loved the quality of the 3 but wanted a little more zoom-zoom which the Speed3 definitely delivers. The ride is much harsher, as you'd expect on a sporty car, but it handles very well and the torque is definitely there. Blast to drive.

Good luck!

Old 11-09-2011, 11:22 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
If you're going to be carting stuff about including a pair of dog crates, it seems the hatchback would be the easy winner.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:29 AM

42 posts, read 167,734 times
Default Thanks

Thank you for all your responses. I definitely would like the Mazdaspeed3, but it takes premium, whereas the regular 3 does not and I am limiting myself to non-premium only. If the back seat of the Sonata is really that big that would be good. It’s funny that I had not thought about taking the crates to the dealership – that’s why I appreciate this interaction. Thanks again.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:14 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,953,484 times
We shopped both and although the driving dynamics of the Mazda is better we liked the overall package of the Sonata. We bought a Limited turbo and after over ten months are quite happy with it. (BTW we have found the Hyundai warranty and dealership experience to be excellent).

Old 11-10-2011, 05:10 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,464,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsideoffifty View Post
Thank you for all your responses. I definitely would like the Mazdaspeed3, but it takes premium, whereas the regular 3 does not and I am limiting myself to non-premium only. If the back seat of the Sonata is really that big that would be good. It’s funny that I had not thought about taking the crates to the dealership – that’s why I appreciate this interaction. Thanks again.
This is very true. The Speed3 does require it as it's not a "for best performance do it" type situation, it's a must do it. haha

Interesting, the Sonata turbo doesn't require premium fuel?

Old 11-10-2011, 07:08 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,953,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
This is very true. The Speed3 does require it as it's not a "for best performance do it" type situation, it's a must do it. haha

Interesting, the Sonata turbo doesn't require premium fuel?
No, the Sonata turbo requires a minimum 87 octane although it is said to produce approximately 10 hp more on 93.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:21 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsideoffifty View Post
I would not dismiss the speed 3 because it burns premium - it may get enough better mileage that the relatively small extra cost of premium fuel - about 20 cents a gallon around here - may be offset and then some by better MPG. Check the MPG sticker on the window as a first step.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive