U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 02:55 AM

38,704 posts, read 93,744,204 times

Advertisements

OK, does anyone have this on their car? I know a lot of Mazdas have it for instance. For those of you who do have it -- am I missing something here? Is there really some benefit to it other than you don't have to move your fingers two inches from the steering wheel to a stalk to turn on the wipers in inclement weather?

Have we really gotten that lazy? I mean, I already have built-in rain sensors, it's called MY EYEBALLS. So if anyone has it and finds it indispensable, please explain to me what I'm missing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 03:09 AM

2,685 posts, read 5,812,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
OK, does anyone have this on their car? I know a lot of Mazdas have it for instance. For those of you who do have it -- am I missing something here? Is there really some benefit to it other than you don't have to move your fingers two inches from the steering wheel to a stalk to turn on the wipers in inclement weather?

Have we really gotten that lazy? I mean, I already have built-in rain sensors, it's called MY EYEBALLS. So if anyone has it and finds it indispensable, please explain to me what I'm missing.

Agreed. Another senseless, useless device/option that I wish would go away in a few years.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:09 AM

10,494 posts, read 24,529,065 times
It is just as dumb as the cars that have automatic headlights that come on when it is dark.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:11 AM

38,704 posts, read 93,744,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
It is just as dumb as the cars that have automatic headlights that come on when it is dark.
Unfortunately, I see some value in this. I wish they weren't necessary, but after seeing the number of idiots who drive in the dark without their headlights on (and are presumably baffled that they can't see their instrument cluster), I'm glad cars will do it for them these days.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:32 AM

4,500 posts, read 10,744,560 times
They're not indispensable, but I do like it on cars that have good ones. (Driven a Corolla with it a few times and it's not refined enough, the BMW rain sensor is perfect)

On my everyday car I don't have it, and it's not like I'm crying myself to sleep, but it is actually quite nice if you get used to it. You don't have to fiddle around with the settings of the wiper, they just do it themselves, I guess you could argue it gives you more focus to put into actually driving, but it mainly is a luxury.

If you want to get into silly details, I suppose it creates slightly less wear on the window and wipers as it'll only actually go at the pace that's needed.

It is a luxury, personally I like them because you flick them on, and don't think about it anymore, focusing entirely on the traffic and driving.

Why anyone would wish for it to go away, I don't understand though. I understand not seeing the need or wanting to use it, but it's not like it hurts that it's available for those who want it?

Old 02-12-2010, 05:44 AM

1,297 posts, read 4,361,587 times
Well then PS,PW,P/seats, PB, P/door locks, auto transmission, P/mirrors, self canceling signals, etc. makes everyone pretty lazy, so why buy a car with these dopey gadgets?

Old 02-12-2010, 05:49 AM

2,177 posts, read 8,534,747 times
Just another gadget to let more people get lazy and not have to be in control of what they should be controlling.
They won't have to put down their cell phones or stop texting to turn on the wipers.
And they won't have to use common sense or their own brain to make an intelligent decision.
They have a technological device to do that for them.
Sometime in the future our brains will be the size of peanuts because we don't have to use them anymore.
Technology is great. But when it's gets to the point of replacing human thought responsibility, it is a very bad thing that will eventualy be the downfall of the ability to think for ourselves and respond to something that actualy requires an act of thought to correct the situation without the aid of a built in mechanical or electronic device.
I'm glad I have a 1949 Plymouth that requires me to make it do what needs done instead of having a rolling robot or theater that takes all the fun and responsiblilty out of ACTUALY DRIVING a car by my control.
If we had todays safety features as far as how cars are built, combined with how cars were made 50 yrs ago which required total control of all systems by a thinking, responsible driver, we would be much better off.
And more people would actualy know how to DRIVE instead of just being a passenger sitting behind the steering wheel expecting the car to drive itself.
A car has one purpose. To get you from where you are to where you want to go.
Npw people want them to be rolling entertainment centers with the least amount of input and skill to operate them.
That sucks.
Sorry for the long post. But all these new bells and whistles that take away driver responsibilty just rubs me the wrong way.
But I'm an old guy. And I know when to turn on the w/shield wipers and dim my lights or turn on the lights so other drivers can see me in rainy, snowy, foggy, conditions.
I don't need technology to replace my common sense.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:18 AM

8,292 posts, read 24,423,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

That saying applies to both children and auto makers.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:35 AM

2,698 posts, read 10,766,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Mann View Post
Well then PS,PW,P/seats, PB, P/door locks, auto transmission, P/mirrors, self canceling signals, etc. makes everyone pretty lazy, so why buy a car with these dopey gadgets?
agreed.

Mike

Old 02-12-2010, 06:54 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,878,272 times
I have rain-sensing wipers and find the feature quite appealing when there is a lot of variation in the rain intensity. It's annoying to constantly adjust the speed of my wipers to match changing rain conditions and the rain-sensing wipers do a pretty good job of handling that issue for me. The feature can also be turned off any time I want.

I have no idea why someone would get upset about having this option available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive