Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 06:02 PM

404 posts, read 1,547,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
2011 Sonata actually looks really nice, I am going to test drive one. However looking at resale values on Hyundai for previous model years it is the pits! This car looks like a big step up for them... but if resale is going to be as poor as Ford or GM I might take a pass.
i think Hyundai is hoping if people like the car, they'll buy the car. unlike before, when you went to Hyundai as a compromise, now they say "good car, very well equipped, and reasonably priced." for what you get

so, people now have to choose Hyundai because they want a Hyundai. its gonna be some people and not others, obviously. resale value will have to come in time, although already improved

if you're gonna keep the car several years and have it paid off in 4-5, meh. but if you'll be trading it in in 3 or 4 years i can understand

early word on the new Sonata from owners has been very good. i think you might actually like it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 06:05 PM

9,521 posts, read 30,349,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploopy View Post
early word on the new Sonata from owners has been very good. i think you might actually like it!
Love the styling. There is no significant cost diff on the Legacy, the only difference being a premium wheel package (and AWD of course)

Old 02-16-2010, 06:12 PM

hmm

two very different kinds of cars

i checked out a Legacy with a friend last year who was car shopping. didn't end up getting it, didn't like the interior (female driver)

but the car was nice. and resale is good, too. 3 and 4 year old cars with 40,000m+ still going for $15,000

Old 02-16-2010, 06:15 PM

What I like about both, compared to Camry or Accord, they are not so ubiquitous.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:22 PM

i like that about my Hyundai. i mean its the compact Elantra but when i pulled into a parking lot to get food it was the only one there among two Corollas and one Civic. and an Accord

i noticed because my car looked sort of...different. i was parked next to a 2008 Corolla, same year as mine. looking inside both cars i am so glad i got my Hyundai. and looking at the outside, too

its plain, but not "just another Corolla"

so thats a little something for me

Old 02-16-2010, 07:13 PM

4,260 posts, read 8,120,902 times
I had a Sonata as a rental about two years ago, and really liked it then. So, if its improved, that is a really good option. The rental I had was equipped with tons of options, including the V6, and it drove very nice.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:00 PM

13,256 posts, read 22,657,287 times
Subarus tend to be buy-and-hold cars. As you've discovered, they can be scarce on the resale market, and that scarcity along with a decent recent years (ie after the late 90s head gasket issues were resolved) reliability helps keep resale prices relatively high.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:17 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,094,085 times
I know this. 9k to replace a tranny is 100% OUT OF LINE AND UNREALISTIC.. I bet they dont sell many of those. I know now that I would never consider that car now,,,never.. A tranny for a high buck mercedes most likely wouldnt cost that much......gezzzzzzzz

Old 02-16-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
I know this. 9k to replace a tranny is 100% OUT OF LINE AND UNREALISTIC.. I bet they dont sell many of those. I know now that I would never consider that car now,,,never.. A tranny for a high buck mercedes most likely wouldnt cost that much......gezzzzzzzz

Don't even get me started on BMW and Mini Cooper. Short story, the 02-03 CVT is failure-prone and was discontinued and replaced with a normal tranny. BMW will not service the transmission, only replace it. The tranny is 5k just for the parts. I got a second opinion from my mechanic and he said 7500. At least my car made it to 100k, there are horror stories on the internet of CVT's failing at 30,50,60k miles. Not to mention there was only one Mini dealer in San Diego county and it was an hour away from the city. Never again.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:38 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,221,976 times
I have a Camry, which I love even with all the problems lately. I won't get another one, because of the issues though. So, I am looking in this category too when my lease is up. If you don't want another Mini, I guess like others have said the Subaru's would be right up there with "fun" cars. For me personally though, the new Malibu is getting great reviews and looks nice. Altimas are nice, as are Accords,Civics, but everyone has those. I would look into the Malibu if you want a bigger car, if you want something more compact, I would go with the VW Golf. I know you say you don't want to deal with the repair costs, but the Golf just got the number one spot from Consumer Reports for smaller cars. Hyundai is getting great reviews, but I'm not quite on board just yet, give it a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive