Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 07:25 PM

1,022 posts, read 2,536,832 times

Advertisements

Has got to be the Mitsubishi Galant. I don't know what to think about this car. Mitsubishi is not known for the solid reliability of its Japanese peers, and lately the company has been putting most of it's attention towards marketing its smaller cars. You almost never hear anything about the Galant, and in comparisons of similar cars, it rarely gets mentioned or even considered competition.

I was actually a fan of the Galant styling throughout the 90s (loved the stereo with the equalizers) and up until the current model came out in 2004. I drove my cousin's 2000 Galant back when it was new, and it reminded me of my Mother's '97 Altima, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'm assuming the driving characteristics haven't changed much. I mean, can anything be more boring than the current Camry? Don't know much about its reliability but I'd guess it's hit or miss.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 07:34 PM

9,522 posts, read 30,354,736 times
At least here in CA it's a ghetto ride

Old 02-16-2010, 07:51 PM

5,994 posts, read 19,893,215 times
It's also outdated and looks the part. No compelling features or price advantage don't help either.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:40 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,759,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Griff View Post
Has got to be the Mitsubishi Galant.

Any thoughts?
Honorable mention for the Avenger/Sebring.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:36 PM

874 posts, read 2,865,397 times
I do not know much about the newer Galants but I do know that the late nineties early two thousands are known to have a lot of problems. I do a lot of side work on cars and have worked on a number of these. The same problems occur in the Sebring of the same years that use the Mitsubishi engines.

Common problems are with the cooling system. One of these problems are water pumps that cause these vehicles to overheat. The water pumps often go without making any noise. The impellers inside the pumps actually rot to the point where the fins get to small to circulate the coolant through the engine. Due to the fact that they normally do not make noise such as a water pump on which the bearing goes bad, you have no warning until the engine actually overheats. This happened to my brother with his 1999 Galant.

These same year vehicles are known for the radiators clogging as well. Also, the water neck that the radiator cap goes on also corrodes which leads to the cooling system not holding its pressure. I used to work on the cars electrical system quite often as well. He often had problems with his power windows, locks, radio, etc.

I also have changed a number of timing belts on these vehicles and they are a pain in the butt due to the incorporation of a balancing shaft. I would recommend doing these timing belts every 60,000 since I have done a few of them on vehicles between 65,000 and 75,000 miles on them. All of the vehicles I had to change them on had the car run out of time which bent the valves in the heads since these are interference motors meaning that when the vehicle goes out of time the valves hit the top of the pistons causing the valves to bend which becomes expensive head work.

I have worked on Chrysler Sebrings which also suffer from many of the same issues with the Mitsubihi motors in them. It is my belief that one of the biggest problems with Chrysler through the nineties and two thousands had a lot to do with their joint ventures with Mitsubishi.

As I have already stated, I am not familiar with Mitsubishi vehicles that are around six years old or newer so perhaps they have changed for the better.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:54 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,635,595 times
Mitsubishi is an also ran these days - not really competitive on quality, price, warranty, or cachet. The styling is nice, but its still pulling back from almost dropping out of the US market, so its not really endearing to me.

The Lancer is the one car it really has.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:31 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,586,321 times
The Galant is outdated and a marginal sedan at best. For 2010 Mitsubishi gave it standard stability control. They dropped the 6 cyl. version. It does crash well, though. There isn't anything I can see about it that would make me pick it ahead of other much better sedans available.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:15 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,722,835 times
I used to have a Galant. There's a reason why it's the least mentioned mid-sized sedan around: it's also the most middling. It was better than any domestic sedan I've owned, but still basically just an appliance -- and not even a particularly compelling one like the Accord or Camry. Even my Protege spanked it in the "fun to drive" factor.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:09 PM

9,131 posts, read 19,876,803 times
It takes a lot to stand out in such a crowded segment as the midsize sedan, and the Galant does not stand out anywhere.

It is way down the list of family midsizers behind the Accord, Camry, Fusion, Altima, Malibu, Mazda6, Legacy, Sonata, Optima, and Passsat for one reason or another be it price, build quality, ride/drive quality, features, warranty, etc.

The Galant seems to have become an afterthought for Mistsu since they intro'd the current generation Lancer.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:23 PM

1,693 posts, read 4,093,877 times
I would buy a Galant over any Detroit vehicle, but there are too many better cars than the Galant in the price range. Hyundai quality is better, and they are priced right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive