Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 06:30 AM

1,356 posts, read 3,915,827 times

Advertisements

Of course. I will join a forum and read about the vehicle on the internet. I will make sure I know more about the vehicle than the dealer does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 07:07 AM

232 posts, read 632,728 times
I pick out the coolest looking car and then come up with reasons why it's the best choice ever!

Actually, I thought about all the cars I have owned and stuff I wish they were able to do. Always had used, cheap cars and always picked from my local area what was available for the little money I had. This time I'm buying new and I am gonna get what I want ....for under 30K

I have to like how it looks, otherwise I will never be happy with it.

It has to be small on the outside, but I need space on the inside to haul stuff and I don't like trucks. I don't know how many times I went through a ton of trouble tring to move stuff I buy at stores which weren't even really big.

It needs to be good for road trips for 2, maybe a cramped 3rd. I plan on doing extended road trips on it driving everywhere and living out of it.

It has to have decent fuel economy, but I realize that it's not going to be a hybrd.....wish it could be a TDI, but that won't really be happening in the US for a while other then large trucks and a few small cars. Most seem to have a problem with emissions.

It has to be all wheel drive. Not really 4x4, I'd just like to not have to put on snow chains when I go snowboarding.

What do you want to be able to do with your car? I mean, besides checking out pro reviews, reliability, resale, cost to own, warranties...what are you looking for in a car?

I know what I'm getting:

except mine won't have the black panels and I am still debating on the top pop-up tent.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:48 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,702,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Whenever I buy a vehicle , which is rare, I always do my research to find a vehicle that meets my criteria for function,reliability, comfort, and long term use value.

I alway also make it a habit never to fall "in love" with any vehicle.

How do you select the vehicles you buy?

I make it a habit to research the vehicles that I love.

No point in buying something thats boring or that I won't enjoy. Also, stupid to drop $10k, $30k, $80k, etc on anything without knowing what you're getting.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:32 AM

2,715 posts, read 11,906,525 times
I find the more I research vehicles the more confused I wind up. There are negative comments no matter how good a car that makes me think twice.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:22 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,951,486 times
Research is important but I have found back to back test drives to be very valuable. I may narrow the field to three or four cars but dedicating a day to driving can really open your eyes. It is difficult to schedule but for me it is the only way to truly compare models.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:59 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,476,584 times
I usually just stick with Honda, Ford or Toyota (not as much lately on the Toy though).
I don't have to research it if it has the "H" on the front and back. Already know it will most likely serve me well for years.
Yeah, pretty dull, but I'm never let down

Still burning for that GT stang though

Old 02-17-2010, 06:35 PM

143 posts, read 762,204 times
Of course you should research.

But you should also leave a bit of room for cars that you "just like" as well.

Hyundai/Kia are in the sweet spot for best value for money, top reliability, safety, features, and warranty, etc.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:38 PM

4,666 posts, read 3,861,741 times
My last car search was 8 months. Started in April & bought in Dec.

Started with Mazda 3, Vibe, Versa, Spectra. -> Elantra, Accent, Civic, Rio, -> Prius, Fit, Insight & back and forth x 30.
I took an entire month just debating between gray or blue once I finally picked a car.

I mainly used websites to compare specs, car forums, consumer reports. With the internet research is easy!

Old 02-18-2010, 01:49 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,476,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
My last car search was 8 months. Started in April & bought in Dec.

Started with Mazda 3, Vibe, Versa, Spectra. -> Elantra, Accent, Civic, Rio, -> Prius, Fit, Insight & back and forth x 30.
I took an entire month just debating between gray or blue once I finally picked a car.

I mainly used websites to compare specs, car forums, consumer reports. With the internet research is easy!
Your leaving me hangin here! Which one did you pick?!

Old 02-18-2010, 04:35 PM

4,666 posts, read 3,861,741 times
The last one mentioned. The Insight & I love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive