Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2010, 08:48 PM

415 posts, read 1,779,582 times

Advertisements

I just rode in my friend's civic. I don't know why, but a lot of honda owners are not very attentive to their exterior: they seem to rarely wash these things or take pride in how their cars look. That aside...

Riding in a honda is like riding inside a vault. This one had about 50K miles on it. But I've ridden in honda's with closer to 200K miles and they're still remarkably squeak, creak, and rattle free.

My question: what cars remain quiet and solid well beyond their warranty years? My vote is Honda, what's yours?

Last edited by guy1; 02-18-2010 at 09:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 09:08 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I thnik both honda and Toytoa. I really don't consider the civic or carolla as really mid sze cars. to me they are compacts. The camry and accord are mid size to me. They really don't make full isze sedan and never have IMO. That in many cases is why so mnay wanting more room go to mini vans or suvs.I now have my first honda since julky 08 and love it. My wife had a 1993 accord that was as solid when she sold it in 04 as it was when new. Her present 04 camry is just the same. I never drove a vehicle that reamined that way for eleven years before her accord. It alos was easily sold for a good resle value to a individual who still loves it she says.On your second point i see all kind of two to three years old cars that are beat to death or have liitle shine left from neglect . I never really get over hoe some let their vehciles go to pot so quickly now days.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:33 PM

Thanks, I meant to write mid priced, not mid sized. I changed the title now.

I just wanted to limit the discussion to more affordable cars, since I assume a Mercedes S class, or BMW 7 will remain rock solid for many years.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:39 PM

404 posts, read 1,557,194 times
lots of solid cars out when you think about it

VW Jetta and Rabbit come to mind, although a bit pricier then a Civic. at least in the case of the Jetta, i believe

and i will vouch for the new Elantra, also. i drove one before i bought mine with around 80,000m on it, and a couple of years old. it was nice and solid, nothing falling off the inside like older Hyundai models. it felt like mine at 12,000m and 30,000m. the car was stable and drove "like new"

Old 02-18-2010, 09:49 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
It's hard to argue against a Subaru Impreza. I put 60K on one with nary a squeak or rattle. And to top it off, boxer engines are naturally balanced, and even the best-engineered V6s and I4s with balance shafts are no match. That said, the Subaru boxer 4 isn't absolutely, completely perfectly balanced so it is pretty lumpy at idle. But once it gets up to about 2K RPM, it smooths out considerably. Makes me wish more manufacturers would switch from I4s to boxer 4s.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:22 PM

404 posts, read 1,557,194 times
i drove a '98 Nissan SE-R for awhile that was tight

so that one. and maybe still idk?

Old 02-19-2010, 08:04 AM

143 posts, read 762,560 times
Hyundai is how Honda/Toyota was in the 90's.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:57 AM

1,022 posts, read 2,551,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epik151 View Post
Hyundai is how Honda/Toyota was in the 90's.
Gosh, can we get through one thread without someone raving about Hyundai, LOL

I wish my '05 Accord was rattle-free. I also wish the suspension wasn't as harsh. Granted, I'm driving the coupe, but still. It's not like there's a tradeoff between the harsh suspension and it's handling. I can't say I'm impressed with how it handles; I'm sure there's a huge aftermarket to help in that department, plus there's always the Acura TL rear swaybar upgrade. But I'm not impressed with this Honda. Not like my old 88 Accord LX-i.

While I dont doubt that I can get a lot out of this engine, I think that companies like Mazda and Subaru are dishing out vehicles that look and feel a bit more refined.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:24 PM

2,168 posts, read 3,388,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy1 View Post
I just rode in my friend's civic. I don't know why, but a lot of honda owners are not very attentive to their exterior: they seem to rarely wash these things or take pride in how their cars look. That aside...

Riding in a honda is like riding inside a vault. This one had about 50K miles on it. But I've ridden in honda's with closer to 200K miles and they're still remarkably squeak, creak, and rattle free.

My question: what cars remain quiet and solid well beyond their warranty years? My vote is Honda, what's yours?
It depends on the year. For 90's vehicles, I would generally say Honda and Toyota. I have been in a friend's 1994 Camry and it was surprisingly well put-together. My 1994 Chevy Lumina never rattled or squeaked, but it let in a lot of highway noise.

My current car is a Lincoln LS with 90,000 miles and is still vault quiet inside. Many newer Fords, Lincolns, and Mercurys have best-in-class quiet ratings, even when compared to higher-end makes like Lexus, Audi, and BMW. Ford has a sound simulator and other software that can pinpoint where outside sound is leaking in, and they also engineered items such as mirror shapes to reduce drag, which also reduces noise.

YouTube - 2010 Ford Taurus - Interior Sound Check

YouTube - 2009 Ford Sound Simulator

Old 02-19-2010, 10:11 PM

I've known of Honda's reputation for sport: a bit tighter suspension, a bit more noise in the cabin, low slung silhouette/profile, but it's a bit of a disappointment to hear that their more recent revisions are not leaders in solidity.

I would think that coupes in particular, with two less doors, would be even stiffer and therefore quieter in design as well.

As far as Hyundai, I have high hopes for the Sonata '11 and the Genesis as well, but I'm waiting for those press reviews to start rolling in.

My intuition tells me they've turned the corner and are a bull about to run through the market...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Griff View Post
Gosh, can we get through one thread without someone raving about Hyundai, LOL

I wish my '05 Accord was rattle-free. I also wish the suspension wasn't as harsh. Granted, I'm driving the coupe, but still. It's not like there's a tradeoff between the harsh suspension and it's handling. I can't say I'm impressed with how it handles; I'm sure there's a huge aftermarket to help in that department, plus there's always the Acura TL rear swaybar upgrade. But I'm not impressed with this Honda. Not like my old 88 Accord LX-i.

While I dont doubt that I can get a lot out of this engine, I think that companies like Mazda and Subaru are dishing out vehicles that look and feel a bit more refined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive