Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 01:18 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,167,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asian18 View Post
fiats suck... dont you guys watch top gear? lol
and i way prefer a japanese car company to any american one for many reasons

build quality
interior quality
exterior quality

japanese engineers are just more determined to build a better car than americans... cant say the same for the koreans though... kia needs beter cars, the genesis is nice though

and you guys cant argue the fact that the GTR is one of the best cars ever built (again top gear)
and the Z cars have been my in my favs for years now

but i will agree that those little 4 cylinder rice burners are gay, and that before like 95 american sports cars were better looking, but thats mainly cuz japan didnt have any

but BMW and Mercedes are way better
1) I'm going to guess the '18' portion of your screenname is your age? Just sounds like it.

2) There's a difference between watching Top Gear and preying at the church of Clarkson. Drive the cars yourself and form your own opinions. But, for reference, of the few reviews I've seen Top Gear do on FIATs, they're mostly positive. May liked the FIAT 500 when he drove one in Budapest, and Clarkson liked his when got to test the Abarth edition.

3) Japan had no sports cars before '95? When do you think they started making your beloved Fairladies? The Supra? The NSX? The RX-7s?

4) What exactly do you know about engineering that would make you draw the conclusion that American engineers are lazy?

Mike

Last edited by whiteboyslo; 02-24-2010 at 01:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 01:23 PM

1,895 posts, read 3,414,676 times
my favorite is the Chevrolet Silverado half ton 4x4. vroom-vroom.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:54 PM

27 posts, read 48,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
1) I'm going to guess the '18' portion of your screenname is your age? Just sounds like it.

2) There's a difference between watching Top Gear and preying at the church of Clarkson. Drive the cars yourself and form your own opinions. But, for reference, of the few reviews I've seen Top Gear do on FIATs, they're mostly positive. May liked the FIAT 500 when he drove one in Budapest, and Clarkson liked his when got to test the Abarth edition.

3) Japan had no sports cars before '95? When do you think they started making your beloved Fairladies? The Supra? The NSX? The RX-7s?

4) What exactly do you know about engineering that would make you draw the conclusion that American engineers are lazy?

Mike

read my last post lol

and ya i know fiats are an alright car but nothing special about them... just like a honda car, toyoto, chevy all under 20k there just there to get you somewhere reliably lol

Old 02-24-2010, 04:09 PM

2,224 posts, read 3,612,226 times
Quote:

build quality
interior quality
exterior quality

japanese engineers are just more determined to build a better car than americans... cant say the same for the koreans though... kia needs beter cars, the genesis is nice though

and you guys cant argue the fact that the GTR is one of the best cars ever built (again top gear)

but i will agree that those little 4 cylinder rice burners are gay, and that before like 95 american sports cars were better looking, but thats mainly cuz japan didnt have any

Oh yeah, Toyota is a PERFECT EXAMPLE of that.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedaddicted View Post
Oh yeah, Toyota is a PERFECT EXAMPLE of that.
toyotas arent really a rice burning company... except corola and celica, but they had sporty features before transformed

supras not a rice burner... its just a beast

Old 02-25-2010, 01:08 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herc130 View Post
Fords doing the "One Ford" thing and alot of the Euro Fords will be making its way to the US.....two or three are already here. Too bad it will be 2012 or later before you see one that comes with diesel.
I actually like the Ford Transit Connect, just wish they offerred it with diesel, manual and the larger size cargo hold that Europeans get. I guess in under 5 years they will, but I was kinda ready to buy within this year.
That's what's helping Ford do well. Their European models, and Engineering. I have to give it to Ford (for certain models).

(I'm not trying to poke at US Engineers, but it says something about them, and not looking too good, if you ask me. If Ford and GM have to look to Europe for cars to compete with the Japanese and Europeans, they might as well send their designers and Engineers to school there, or shut down US branches. ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I don't see much that appeals in the mass market other than some of the Fords. But they will have to prove themselves for some years to come for me to buy. Otherwsie I will stick to the hondas and toyotas that have given me such great service.The malibu to me just looks cheap and too mcuh like a five to ten year old janaese car. Ford definitely has gone more thier own way stylewise to be less of a look alike. I will watch Ford but the last one I had was just not relaible enough (89) and some of the newer brands seem to be imporving pretty quickly.
I agree. I think Ford got things right. GM, to me; same crap, different cover. There's no big difference driving the recent Malibu to the older ones. The interior may have improved design-wise, but the feel is still crappy by most standards. I'm not having it with GM. They need to try harder. They're full of ****.

Quote:
supras not a rice burner... its just a beast
Indeed they are BEASTS.

To get back to the topic at hand, I'd say:

Ford Fusion
Lincoln MKZ/MKS
I like the Taurus SHO EcoBoost, but will not pay $37k for any Ford. Hell No!!
The Ford Transit Connect is a nice little car. Great for small business, but I wish they would follow through with a TDI motor. Great savings on fuel consumption for the already cash strapped small business owner .

I've seen them in Europe for a while. Ford's finally getting the message here. About damn time.

The Focus and Fiesta are also getting better, design-wise.

I don't care for the Corvette, mainly due to its cheap interior (although they have vastly improved), but still impressive on the road and tracks. It's still a good buy for the domestic conscious or all around enthusiast.

The Cadillac CTS is nice. A bit too padded. It had a claustrophobic feel to it, when I drove it. Otherwise, it's nice, but the competition in its segment is stiff. I'm not sure I'd pick the Caddy over its competitors. Too old man'ish for me. I'd have to be like 65+ before I get into one, even with the Supercharged motor. Still an old man's car, just with more balls.

The Lacross is nice, but a dozer. The car has no life. Perfect for a rental for a long trip. Nice car, but again boring.

The Regal is supposed to come with a 250-260 hp, 2.0 EcoTech motor. Nice power plant, but it doesn't go with the car's design. As much as I like forced induction engines, this car should just go V6 for the masses.

It looks nice, but still for the 40-50 year old crowd.

The new Camaro. It's a step in the right direction, design-wise. The powerplants are pretty interesting too. Still, the Chevy stigma. I can't shake it off, yet. They look nice for the first 9 months, then look like crap for the rest of their lives. I just can see myself putting a dime into a Chevy, but I give the car its due credit.

Jeep Commander. (If you want a nice domestic truck, I'd say the Commander is nicer and seemingly better built than the Ford, Chevy and Dodge counterparts. That's the only automobile Chrysler seems to have right in my opinion.)

Everything else domestic is just not interesting, and some down right ugly, or uninspiring to drive and look at.

And, yes, I said it. (and so have others) Dodge/Chrysler is junk, across the board. (Well with the exception of the Jeep Commander and the Cherokee SRT-8. It's got balls, but falls short in some areas.)

I'm just waiting for the next Jeep Cherokee. I always liked them, but they need to step it up a bit. They've been slacking for quite some time with their basic and mid-range models.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:04 PM

so pretty much what im getting is, fords are ok, chevy.... alright dodges and stuff just suck
and ya cady, but thats not going to hapen

so go ford

Old 02-25-2010, 09:14 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,140 times
Quote:
so pretty much what im getting is, fords are ok, chevy.... alright dodges and stuff just suck
and ya cady, but thats not going to hapen

so go ford
So far, Ford is leading on the domestic end, in just about every segment.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:58 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,285,627 times
Quote:

build quality
interior quality
exterior quality

You must have had your head in the sand and still have yet to pull it out. Build quality? We have been kicking the far east behinds for years in quality, just wasn't given the appreciations for it.
Interiors have been better looking, better seating, more comfortable,and none of any type car has been better in interior real quality. As for outside quality, you kidding right? The ugliest cars on the road are from Japanese car makers. Goes for the super ugly trucks they build too. Ford has had smaller fender/door/hood/trunk/gap spaces in it's vehicles for years than the japan brand vehicles. There again, not given credit for it.
As for which engineers want to build a better product, It isn't the ones in the Japanese companies. But what did happen is lowlife bean counters has kept American car designers from showing how good they are. The engineers in the US companies are second to none!!! BTW, What has teh far east companies invented new to the automotive world? NOTHING!!!! They have however taken the ideas from the American companies and copied them while CLAIMING to be first. Like the ligt by the key switch ad toyota had years ago. Next time after seeing that ad, I went out to my 61 Catalinas (I had 3 at the time, still have 1) and yep, the light around the key switch still worked. So did the one in my 74 Dodge.

As for bmw and mercedes, they are not as good as you wish they were. Work in their plants and see the real side of them.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
You must have had your head in the sand and still have yet to pull it out. Build quality? We have been kicking the far east behinds for years in quality, just wasn't given the appreciations for it.
Interiors have been better looking, better seating, more comfortable,and none of any type car has been better in interior real quality. As for outside quality, you kidding right? The ugliest cars on the road are from Japanese car makers. Goes for the super ugly trucks they build too. Ford has had smaller fender/door/hood/trunk/gap spaces in it's vehicles for years than the japan brand vehicles. There again, not given credit for it.
As for which engineers want to build a better product, It isn't the ones in the Japanese companies. But what did happen is lowlife bean counters has kept American car designers from showing how good they are. The engineers in the US companies are second to none!!! BTW, What has teh far east companies invented new to the automotive world? NOTHING!!!! They have however taken the ideas from the American companies and copied them while CLAIMING to be first. Like the ligt by the key switch ad toyota had years ago. Next time after seeing that ad, I went out to my 61 Catalinas (I had 3 at the time, still have 1) and yep, the light around the key switch still worked. So did the one in my 74 Dodge.

As for bmw and mercedes, they are not as good as you wish they were. Work in their plants and see the real side of them.

build quality in america is better??? tell that to my accord (everyday car... boring car) which has 300,000 miles (bought it with 230k lol), and my maxima (the beast of a car!) 190k miles with turbo, new headers, exhaust kit. had them on for about 3 years now, my grandmas 1986 acura integra, 250k miles

against

my dads new pontiac G8... maybe 40k miles on it, and hes had to take that thing in so many times... my families old pontiac grand am... broke at 120k, old dodge truck, 130k lol

an my old ass honda has a nicer interior then my dads G8 lol

and toyota has come up with so many new inovations, but most of the new inventions for cars now days is probly mostly VW (including all companies they own) then toyota, then honda.

and what american car can beat the GTR around a track? lol

and idc how they make BMWs... i still want an M3 haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive