Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 09:31 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,145,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxonLLC View Post
Watch Robert Lutz GM Vice Chairman: Electric power system is the same system as the Toyota Corolla and the parts come from a Toyota owned supplier.

GM Recalling 1.3 Million Vehicles Over Same Steering Problems Affecting the Toyota Corolla | Reviews & Ratings

My question: If they are the same problem from the same supplier, why did it take GM so long to start what Toyota already had done weeks ago?
huh. interesting. you raise a good question.

not to push the blame off GM, but you would think some system (NHTSA?) would have rolled into place once Toyota stated their recall and the problem was traced back to this vendor.

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 09:45 AM

2,544 posts, read 4,273,130 times
Electric steering is an electric assist pump rather than the traditional belt driven type. It is not fully electric like a drive-by-wire throttle. You still have a mechanical connection.

Didn't Toyota's steering recall involve the vehicle suddenly lurching in one direction? I may have that wrong. This recall didn't say anything about that, just the loss of assist.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:47 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,190,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
The reason GM vehicles have such low sudden acceleration issues is that no one could even start the car in the first place.
*crickets*

Old 03-02-2010, 12:08 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,675,147 times
I thnik there is goign to be great pressure to recall and in fact quite selling any vehciel with any safety defect ;no matter how minor.I was surprised that teh Ford trie probelm didn;t halt sales but things are changing it seems how.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:47 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,951,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
I had a 1980's Honda Civic that didn't come with power steering. Didn't seem to make any difference unless stopped. Not sure how accidents are caused by this.
Your 1980s Honda Civic also weighed nearly 1,000 pounds less than a Cobalt. Furthermore, if you've ever had a power steering unit fail, you might understand how it's possible to get into an accident. The problem is not driving without power steering consistently as you did. The problem is when you have a sudden change in steering effort mid-turn. Under the right (wong?) circumstances, that can get a little hairy.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:54 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,737,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Furthermore, if you've ever had a power steering unit fail, you might understand how it's possible to get into an accident. The problem is not driving without power steering consistently as you did. The problem is when you have a sudden change in steering effort mid-turn. Under the right (wong?) circumstances, that can get a little hairy.
Also I believe it's more of a ***** to drive a power steering equipped vehicle when the power steering has gone out as opposed to a manual steering vehicle.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:51 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,273,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Also I believe it's more of a ***** to drive a power steering equipped vehicle when the power steering has gone out as opposed to a manual steering vehicle.
Yes, usually the gear ratios are different. Manual steering will be easier to turn than power steering without assist. Still do-able, though.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:59 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,647,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post

it's WAY more of a ***** to drive power steering equipped when the power steering has gone out...there's no comparison.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:34 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,570,442 times
I have a 2008 Cobalt that's almost two years old. Never experienced steering problems at any speed. Luckily I only have 10,000 miles on my car and the majority of those have been at < 40 mph.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:10 PM

941 posts, read 3,902,499 times
Power and manual steering systems are two entirely different things!

I don't know how electric power steering works, as I still drive ancient cars. What I will speak of is the traditional hydraulic power steering.

Disabling power steering won't magically turn a car into manual steering.

Manual steering operate entirely on gears, which makes the wheel turn easily.

Power steering has a more complicated system, adding pistons and rotaries. When there is no hydraulic action pumping through the assembly, the system can't move efficiently. Thus it's a hell harder to steer a car with power steering disabled than a car that has true manual steering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive