Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 11:17 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times

Advertisements

Actually, you should get more mpg from cold gas than from hot. let's say you have 20 gallons of gas at room temperature. Due to the coefficient of expansion, if you cool that to 30 degrees, it will contract to 19 gallons, and you can get one more gallon into your 20-gallon tank, which will increase the distance you can drive on a tankful by 5%. So 19 gallons of cold gas will take you as far as 20 gallons of hot gas. Because it has exactly the same amount of potential energy, but takes up less space, and we calculate mileage by the volume of the gas, which varies by temperature. (I have no idea what the actual coefficient of expansion is, but it is significant enough to expand quite a bit out onto the ground if you fill up to the brim with cold gas on a hot day.)

I just checked on that, and found this interesting observation:
http://www.consumerwatchdog.org/reso...lUSAJune07.pdf
Wholesale gasoline prices are adjusted to 60 degrees, so during the summer, motorists will pay $1.5 billion too much for expanded gas.

Gasoline expands about 4.5 times as much as water does.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-07-2010 at 11:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 11:58 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,221,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Actually, you should get more mpg from cold gas than from hot. let's say you have 20 gallons of gas at room temperature. Due to the coefficient of expansion, if you cool that to 30 degrees, it will contract to 19 gallons, and you can get one more gallon into your 20-gallon tank, which will increase the distance you can drive on a tankful by 5%. So 19 gallons of cold gas will take you as far as 20 gallons of hot gas. Because it has exactly the same amount of potential energy, but takes up less space, and we calculate mileage by the volume of the gas, which varies by temperature. (I have no idea what the actual coefficient of expansion is, but it is significant enough to expand quite a bit out onto the ground if you fill up to the brim with cold gas on a hot day.)

Wholesale gasoline prices are adjusted to 60 degrees, so during the summer, motorists will pay $1.5 billion too much for expanded gas.

Yes.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:11 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

This is true, but the gasoline temperature is going to be about the same as ground temperature unless you buy gas right after a truck fills the storage tanks and it's quite cold outside. This might explain Cat's situation for one tank full's worth of anomalous improved MPG.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:36 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,335,218 times
A week later and still the same results. I filled up last sunday and as of now there is a little more than a 1/4 gas.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:44 AM

It is hard to get a grasp of your improvements since you are not posting precise numbers/calculations. However glad to see your saving some $$$ on fuel costs.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:48 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,335,218 times
OK, will do on my next fill up.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:29 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,413,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
new air filter = better mpg. Also, maybe the dealership put the correct psi in the tires. Also = better mpg.
This is very true. I get 19.6 MPG on my car that is supposed to average 17. I have found that I gain 1 MPG per every .25 PSI over the recommended pressure for the car's tires. Using thinner engine oil also helps, as does changing the air filter every 6000 miles.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:46 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,413,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
It is hard to get a grasp of your improvements since you are not posting precise numbers/calculations. However glad to see your saving some $$$ on fuel costs.
Well, since the cost of gasoline is beginning to rise pretty rapidly, he may not be saving any money.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
Well, since the cost of gasoline is beginning to rise pretty rapidly, he may not be saving any money.
I have been on a diesel-only diet for the past 5 months or so, getting ready to roll out the gassers. However I have not noticed any consistently risen prices, they have all hovered around the same values for quite some time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive