Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 05:00 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,925,526 times

Advertisements

Because we've all been led to believe we need cars.

Traditionally, when cars weren't available to the masses, we worked closer to home, we took a job because of it's convenience.
Now, we can take a job 100 miles away, but we can't get there without a car.
Simple answer, work closer to home.
If you choose to work far away from where you live, then it's exactly that.

A choice.

You chose to do a job which "needed" a car.
You could have chosen another job.

Cars have been around for, what, 120 years ?

Humans have been around for how long ?
Little longer perhaps.

The fact that there hasn't been a mass extinction due to lack of automobiles, pretty much proves we don't need them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Oh really? Your statement is totally incorrect. Years ago, I was a delivery driver who drove my own car for work. If the car broke down I could not go to work. Now, I work far away from any form of public transportation. I need a car to get to work. With no car I starve and am homeless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 07:33 AM

2,544 posts, read 4,282,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
A choice.

Right, because there are unfilled jobs everywhere in this economy, one can just pick and choose.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:48 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,577,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I am a veteran and need no lecture from you ;bud. You just a whiner is what I have come to realise.Momma;my rights are being violate because I was caught with my hnad i the cookie jar.Fighter1 indeedLOL.
My comments were not intended to be a lecture by any means only info. I felt was need to be a knowledgeable citizen? I can only add that your Government starts telling you what color you can paint your house, or what food you can buy don't say i didn't tell you. Please read the site i suggested you will find out that the so called "cookie jar was Mine" and the "hand in that jar was the hand of the Government"!

Old 03-06-2010, 08:09 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,577,844 times
Quote:
I wonder how all the children managed to get to school in the days before the car was invented ?

Maybe you could research it, then try it. Then you won't get a ticket.

Trouble is, we are constantly undermining the authority of the police, by giving it all the "civil liberties" crap.
Consequently, the police now have no powers.
If your car was stolen, and recovered two blocks from your house, undamaged, then I'm sure you'd have a different opinion of these cameras.
If someone was to commit a crime against you, your property, or your family, and the perp was caught within minutes due to plate recognition, you might think differently.

Don't break the law, you won't get caught, you have nothing to worry about.

Are people on here suggesting there are laws it's acceptable to break ? Speeding ? Jumping red lights ? No insurance ? No licence ?

The law is the law.
Politicians make it, and the police are paid to enforce it.
As we find different ways to break it, they are forced to find different ways to catch us.

And, yes, of course it's about the money.
But, the police would be a lot quieter, and the city's coffers a lot lighter if we didn't break the law.

In my 20 years of driving, I have never had a parking ticket. Simply because I do what I'm told !
I have never been fined for running a light.

I have, however been pinged for speeding. I chose to speed, therefore it's my fault. It's not the camera operator's fault, or whoever set the limit ? It's the donkey behind the wheel who makes it go faster.
I sucked it up, and paid up. i took the gamble, and lost.

Now, I don't gamble so much.

Automatic plate recognization has been in use in Britain for years now. I never have to worry about my car flashing up on it, because I abide by the law. (Mostly)
As I have repeatedly stated weather you agree with my statement or not every one here need to read that site. then tell me why you need to have a "license to drive or why you give up "Your Title" ( It is yours, you paid for it ?)to a vehicle to the DMV in exchange for their's, additionally as to breaking any "LAWS" there is a difference between a Law and a code, rules and regulations of the "corporation called DMV).and by the way my last ticket was back in 1963, but that doesn't mean I am or should not be a concerned citizen.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:35 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,925,526 times
There are actually many jobs which could be done by "native" British, or US people, but, we have aspirations, and see these menial jobs as "beneath us" that's why immigrant labour is filling these roles.

Also, "this economy" has only been like this for a couple of years.
Previous to that, we were in a boom cycle. Everyone pinned their jobs, their mortgages, loans etc around these standards.
These times are now gone, and we have to make do and mend. This is the true test of a country's people.

So far, they're being tested, and the verdict is "whiner"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
Right, because there are unfilled jobs everywhere in this economy, one can just pick and choose.
Fighter1, I'm not sure you are on the same planet ?
You do not need a licence to drive "your" vehicle, you need a licence to show you are capable, and competent to drive "a" vehicle.
The theory behind this is to ensure that all drivers are educated to the same standard, and are not a danger to themselves, and others.
Your vehicle need to be insured, in case your negligence causes someone else financial loss, and you are unable to compensate them.
It requires to be kept in good order, as a safety issue. Not a PITA for the owner, or a money generating exercise.

Why don't some of you people who are moaning about it get off your asses and do something about it ?
Why don't you rebel against the current administration, start a revolution, and overthrow them !
Then, you can scrap all red lights, speed limits, and various other things which impinge on "your rights"

Let anarchy reign.
Why not do away with taxes, and courts, the police !
Yeah, and lets see how long it lasts...................................

You just can't fix stupid.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
There are actually many jobs which could be done by "native" British, or US people, but, we have aspirations, and see these menial jobs as "beneath us" that's why immigrant labour is filling these roles.

Also, "this economy" has only been like this for a couple of years.
Previous to that, we were in a boom cycle. Everyone pinned their jobs, their mortgages, loans etc around these standards.
These times are now gone, and we have to make do and mend. This is the true test of a country's people.

So far, they're being tested, and the verdict is "whiner"

Fighter1, I'm not sure you are on the same planet ?
You do not need a licence to drive "your" vehicle, you need a licence to show you are capable, and competent to drive "a" vehicle.
The theory behind this is to ensure that all drivers are educated to the same standard, and are not a danger to themselves, and others.
Your vehicle need to be insured, in case your negligence causes someone else financial loss, and you are unable to compensate them.
It requires to be kept in good order, as a safety issue. Not a PITA for the owner, or a money generating exercise.

Why don't some of you people who are moaning about it get off your asses and do something about it ?
Why don't you rebel against the current administration, start a revolution, and overthrow them !
Then, you can scrap all red lights, speed limits, and various other things which impinge on "your rights"

Let anarchy reign.
Why not do away with taxes, and courts, the police !
Yeah, and lets see how long it lasts...................................

You just can't fix stupid.
You are right. Your last post is irrefutable proof. Obviously you can't hold up your statements with a good argument, so you resort to insults. Idiocy.

We don't need a revolution, we just need the government to stay within their well-defined boundaries. People like you who want to give them all sorts of powers which the Constitution does not grant them are the biggest problem.

"Oh, it's for the children!" "If you don't do anything wrong you won't have anything to worry about"

Stop whining yourself.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:37 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,421,033 times
Stanman13, just because read the Constitution doesn't mean you understand it.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:39 AM

^ Correct. It takes more than just a quick read to understand it. That, and you can't believe everything that your government tells you about it.

Old 03-06-2010, 04:40 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,421,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
^ Correct. It takes more than just a quick read to understand it.

I think you need to go back through a few more times.

Old 03-06-2010, 04:55 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times
Quote:
Because we've all been led to believe we need cars.

Traditionally, when cars weren't available to the masses, we worked closer to home, we took a job because of it's convenience.
Now, we can take a job 100 miles away, but we can't get there without a car.
Simple answer, work closer to home.
If you choose to work far away from where you live, then it's exactly that.

A choice.

Cars have been around for, what, 120 years ?

Humans have been around for how long ?
Little longer perhaps.

The fact that there hasn't been a mass extinction due to lack of automobiles, pretty much proves we don't need them.

I live in Las Vegas and a car is a necessity. The unemployment rate is 13.1%. You can not just go out an get a job here. Everything is so spread out. In New York, it would be a different story as they have a very good public transportation system. Las Vegas does not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive