Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2010, 11:28 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,176,903 times

Advertisements

I just purchased a set of HD steering linkages for my '96 Ram 2500 4x4 (Cummins).

Here is the difference between the LD and HD steering:

The difference in size between the actual components is significant. However the main thing is the mechanics of the two systems. Tie rod (#9) is probably the biggest difference since the front axle can now (seemingly) travel vertically without affecting toe...

These things said, I only have old sh*tty 29" tires right now. Very soon I will be purchasing 33"s. I was planning on installing the steering components and then doing a "home-made" alignment and then taking it to be done properly. Assuming I cannot get my hands on the new tires right away does anyone see any problems with getting everything completely aligned with the old tires installed?

I was told that the difference in ride height between the 29's and 33's would also cause a difference in toe in, however I don't see that being an issue for EITHER steering system. I mean... the LD system toe in changes due solely to axle position relative to frame. And again it seems pretty apparent that the HD system does not allow toe change no matter what the difference in positions so I think im pretty safe here.

Input is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 02:09 PM

17,139 posts, read 56,841,082 times
From your diagrams I would think that the only thing you can adjust is toe-in, I can't see how changing your tires can change toe-in with either system. Typical car front end you can get ride height, camber, and from that toe-in changes with a wider tire, particularly on a wheel with more wheel and tire outboard of the spindle, but on this truck system I would not expect any alignment change.

You will need to recalibrate your speedo when you get the bigger tires if they have a bigger rolling radius.

You can get a toe-in gauge from Eastwood, you can set the toe-in with that just as well as with the most expensive alignment *** - it's slower, but not inherently less accurate.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
From your diagrams I would think that the only thing you can adjust is toe-in, I can't see how changing your tires can change toe-in with either system. Typical car front end you can get ride height, camber, and from that toe-in changes with a wider tire, particularly on a wheel with more wheel and tire outboard of the spindle, but on this truck system I would not expect any alignment change.

You will need to recalibrate your speedo when you get the bigger tires if they have a bigger rolling radius.

You can get a toe-in gauge from Eastwood, you can set the toe-in with that just as well as with the most expensive alignment *** - it's slower, but not inherently less accurate.
Thanks for the input.

I did the install yesterday and everything went extremely smooth. I was able to set the toe-in to about 1/32". What I did was install all of the new components, install the wheels and then spray painted a ring along the tread of each of the tires. I then put a bench vice with a sharp screw clamped it underneath the painted ring on the tire and spun the wheel to carve a near perfect fine line along the paint. I then took a rigid tape measure and recorded the distances between the lines on the front of the wheels and the back. Kept measuring and adjusting tie rods until I was happy with the difference between front and back measurements.

It is not perfect but it worked really well for a temporary alignment. The truck drives straight as an arrow down the road and I was even able to get the steering wheel to only a few degrees off center.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:16 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,610,333 times
Toe is important and had to set accurately with just measuring thread cneters really. Runout on ytires can make a big difference.From the drawings it #8 and #10 that sets toe. Maybe you meant camber in original post.When you get the new ties get it aligned as toe can make a bigg difference in scrub on a tire.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Toe is important and had to set accurately with just measuring thread cneters really. Runout on ytires can make a big difference.From the drawings it #8 and #10 that sets toe. Maybe you meant camber in original post.When you get the new ties get it aligned as toe can make a bigg difference in scrub on a tire.
I'm not sure I follow...

Part #10 is the only thing that changes toe, #6 technically adjusts steering wheel center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive