Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 05:56 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYPeach View Post
I did a search here and did not see this topic, so I'd like to ask about VIN etching Kits. I just bought a new car and in these times we know auto theft rates are very high.

I only heard about VIN etching from researching costs for purchasing a new car and how some dealers try to convince you to purchase this product from them for hundreds of dollars when in fact you can buy a kit online for about 25.00 and DIY.

There theory goes by etching your VIN on your car doors and windows you make your car less attractive to thieves. I don't dispute that may be the case. My questions:

Has anyone ever bought this kit and done this to their car? I checked online at a couple of auto stores and nothing came up in their search boxes on their websites. I have only been able to find it at vinetching(kit) dot com

Does this make your car less attractive at trade-in or private sales time or is it a bonus?

Will this help with your insurance rates?

Thanks for any feed back.
What it does is make it less likely to be stolen and different VIN used. Its like everyhtign else;I guess on theft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 05:56 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
i think you are almost better off installing a kill switch your self, nothing commercial. It can kill spark, or fuel, or both. The plus is only you know what and where it is. A thief is left guessing, unless he has means to tow the vehical.

You can really cause a ruckus if you add this in with a fuses that will allow the engine to start and go several yards, so the car dies in moving traffic. No theif wants that situtation. he can't stay and fix it, and if he tried he still won't know what went wrong. Other folks would see that and him running away.

If the theif does have means to tow, you right outta luck, unless you install a lo jack and the cops have the reciever.

If the vin number tricked worked really well the INS CO's would be all over it giving you a hearty discount. Are they?

Old 06-27-2010, 05:58 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
It makes it harder to change the VIN plate to one from another vehicle when stolen.Call your insurance as to discount.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:18 PM

747 posts, read 2,759,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmaster View Post
How about this: Every Police Precinct in NYC does it for free and insurance companies will give you a discount anywhere from 3%-15% depending on company. Sometimes community centers, car clubs, schools, churchs and so on have a day where the cops send someone and they do anyone's car that shows up. Once again for free or a donation to the school, church or whatever.

Whether or not it will actually deter someone fro stealing your car is left to individual cases and is unknown. It might have worked you will never know since if it did deter a potential thief then your car was not stolen and you would have not known if it worked.

The main point is that it will save you money on your insurance every year that you own the car and have it insured.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmaster View Post
How is getting it done for FREE and getting a discount on your insurance not worth the effort?

That discount on your insurance is there every year until you no longer have that car insured. Lets say it a 5% discount...
Since you signed up on CD just to say this, you're obviously promoting VIN etching. Why don't put up some facts instead of just speculation? Why do you suppose it's a 5% discount? Don't you know what discount, if any, you're getting for it?

In reality, I'd be very surprised if anyone was getting a discount as large as 5% just due to VIN etching.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:36 AM

4 posts, read 10,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Costanza View Post
Since you signed up on CD just to say this, you're obviously promoting VIN etching. Why don't put up some facts instead of just speculation? Why do you suppose it's a 5% discount? Don't you know what discount, if any, you're getting for it?

In reality, I'd be very surprised if anyone was getting a discount as large as 5% just due to VIN etching.

I just signed up that is correct. I found this forum searching for vin etching info. I am in no way promoting vin etching just giving my opinions, that's what forums are all about aren't they?

I am getting 5% discount for vin etching from Travelers, do some research or call them and ask if you like. Other discounts just in case you are interested, straight from my Travelers documents under the heading Anti-Theft Discounts:

5% Combat Auto Theft Program Discount
5% Discount-Alarms or Active Disabling Device
5% Window Glass Etching
5% Discount-Passive Disabling Device
20% Discount Electronic Homing Device

There are other discounts that don't apply to this thread but here they are if you are interested:
Anti-Lock Brakes, Passive Restraint, Accident Prevention Course.

The Window Glass Etching & Combat Auto Theft Program Discount can be done at any NYC Police Precinct for FREE.

Once again I have nothing to gain, if I did I would be saying to go to any of the web sites that charge you for a window etching kit, which I am not. I am giving info to go to any NYC Police Precinct and get what your tax dollars are paying for anyway, once again for FREE. And in turn get a discount on your auto insurance and save some of your hard earned cash.

I don't know what else I have to explain here. Do you get it now?

Old 06-28-2010, 05:44 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
I'd call around to some local body shops or Auto glass shops to get a quote,its going to be much cheaper than what a dealer will charge,
You also might want to talk to your insurance agent as he may have a preferred place to get it done..

Old 06-28-2010, 05:46 AM

4 posts, read 10,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'd call around to some local body shops or Auto glass shops to get a quote,its going to be much cheaper than what a dealer will charge,
You also might want to talk to your insurance agent as he may have a preferred place to get it done..

The Window Glass Etching & Combat Auto Theft Program Discount can be done at any NYC Police Precinct for FREE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive