Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 10:27 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times

Advertisements

Ouch. I played that back and forth, but not up side down Must be something newer or on USA built cars. Mine hasn't got any wqords and no Euro made cars i am aware of do either. That can be a problem. Back in the day people would put all sorts of wild fluids in anythng that had a cap they could off.

Well today the Boss is just havin fits, with shipping lable problems and so while he ties me to a post to be 'The Whippin' Boy' I can kick my own butt fer being pretty STUPID. That otter save some time, but what for?

Any one know where I can but a 5 gallon jug of patience ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 12:35 PM

152 posts, read 651,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Ouch. I played that back and forth, but not up side down Must be something newer or on USA built cars. Mine hasn't got any wqords and no Euro made cars i am aware of do either. That can be a problem. Back in the day people would put all sorts of wild fluids in anythng that had a cap they could off.

Well today the Boss is just havin fits, with shipping lable problems and so while he ties me to a post to be 'The Whippin' Boy' I can kick my own butt fer being pretty STUPID. That otter save some time, but what for?

Any one know where I can but a 5 gallon jug of patience ?
Hang in there Mac and you are far from stupid.
I'll see if my wife will sell you some of her patience for I never had 5 gallons worth to begin with.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:55 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don57 View Post
Hang in there Mac and you are far from stupid.
I'll see if my wife will sell you some of her patience for I never had 5 gallons worth to begin with.

LOL You don't KNOW that!...

My wife says that to me every day many times about anything LOL

Old 12-03-2010, 03:31 PM

894 posts, read 2,315,356 times
I do aftermarket auto accessories. Most of our work comes from local auto dealers, so we have to be extra careful not to screw up a car, as most people have not even picked them up yet.

We had a lady looking to get a bluetooth system integrated with her radio. This is a '07 Suburban. We install it and it works flawlessly. However she was unhappy with the display. So we moved it to where she wanted it. Told her it was stationary as that location offered very little room for a fancy dock. While attempting to adjust it, as I'm watching and telling her that it can't be moved, she breaks it off the dash. Now she is totally pissed, calls us hacks, and has us totally uninstall the system, and that she would take it somewhere else. Her husband later apologized.

A week later we get a call from the local Chevy dealership saying we need to pay for a new fuse block, because we fried hers doing the install. (Around a $1000 or close if I remember correctly). This she told them. I go out and take a look and within seconds know it was not us. Those new Chevy's are hard to find a switched power accessory wire or fuse at the fuse block, most keep constant battery voltage. You need to get power at the actual ignition and run a diode or relay to isolate the add on from the car's systems. Whoever she got to install this other unit just simpy soldered a wire to the tip of a fuse. Apparently without checking to make sure it was a true accessory circuit or not. It looked cheap and unreliable; not at all our calling card. In the end their wiring burnt up her fuse block. The company is supposed to be experts at doing those kind of installs too, so I was surprised. At least we didn't have to pay for that fuse block!

The woman who was in her 40's at least, acted like a spoiled teenager the whole time, so I was extra happy to see that her "experts" ended up screwing up her car. It made us look real good to the dealership.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:48 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,872,464 times
Some of these are pretty funny

Old 05-02-2011, 10:39 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,288,049 times
7 Weeks ago I have a boy call me and says he wants to know how much I'll charge to do a "full port and polish" on his camaro heads. So I start asking him about the car, and get to what else is being done to the engine, cam, compression, etc. He says ; Nothing, it has everything already done to it from the factory". I told him there was nothing i could do for him.
Today I get a call from him wanting to know why his car is now "slow" after he had someone do a full port and polish on his heads.

Some people don't understand cylinder heads and port shapes or sizing for the application.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:55 AM

859 posts, read 2,828,901 times
I'll start off with a couple of idiot customer moves.

Back when I was working at a dealer we had a new 4-runner come in on a hook. Truck had a little over 4K on the clock. Porter jumped it and attempted to start it. All you could hear was the starter spinning. Owner came in a few mins later and talked with the service rep. turns out he changed the oil and filter at home. Hopped in and drove to the store a couple blocks away. The check engine light came on but he ignored it until he got home. When he came out to start the truck again it wouldn't turn over and then "something snapped". I put the truck in the air and the entire underside of the truck is covered in oil. I call the service manage over and ask what's wrong with this picture while pointing to the missing oil filter. Long story short is he seized the motor then snapped the teeth off the started trying to start it.

I use to do performance work at home so all the neighborhood guys would come to me when they where in over their head and this lead to a number of entertaining situations.

1) GUy rebuilds his SBC, puts it in the car, gets everything ready to fire. All accessories are on the motor etc. Puts the oils primer in the dist hole and attempts to build oil pressure but nothings happening. I go over and try. There's no load on the drill and it doesn't seem to be attached... I asked if he remembered to put the oil pump shaft in place and a light bulb went off in his head. Forgot oil pump drive.

2) guy rebuilds SBF in a 70's mustang. Brings car over and it's dripping oil everywhere and he doesn't know why. Lift hood and see oil dripping from front and rear of intake manifold. Used intake gaskets on sides but forgot silicone at front and rear. 1/4 gap between manifold and motor.

3) Guy put new heads on SBC. Massive coolant leaks, motor won't run right, etc etc. I looked at it and the heads looked like they where really close to the block. I asked what head gaskets he used. He said he wanted to increase the compression so he decided not to use a head gasket. Thankfully he didn't hurt anything.

4) Car comes to me with a "small oil leak". Owner says it's leaking on the drivers side of the motor and appears to be coming from the head... Hummmm Interesting. I took a quick look and asked what happened that caused him to look. Said he was racing someone and heard a loud banging sound then the motor ran rough. I pointed to the the baseball sized hole in the side of the block and told him I think I found his leak. It broke the rod bolts, punched a hole in the block and jammed the piston up against the head. Looked at the tack in the car and saw he had the redline needle set at 8000rpm. This was a 351 with stock rods.

Best story to date... a bunch of us are at a car show about 10 yrs ago. My buddy is there with his mustang. We'd done a twin turbo kit, fuel injection, etc etc so it looked like nothing most people had ever seen. A young couple walks up and looked at the car for a couple of minutes and the guy is explaining different things. The two of them get to the motor and she said "what is all that stuff".. He looks for a few seconds, turns to her and says" oh that is just all the new emission stuff they have to put on new cars. All it does is rob power.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:03 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,139,204 times
Years ago when I worked at a dealer this old time customer came in and wanted "the old dirty air removed from her tires and new clean air put in" The woman was a clean freak. She drove a solid white car with white interior and once she had to leave before her car was serviced because she had to go home and pee in her own "clean" bathroom...honest story

Old 05-04-2011, 06:50 AM

859 posts, read 2,828,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Years ago when I worked at a dealer this old time customer came in and wanted "the old dirty air removed from her tires and new clean air put in" The woman was a clean freak. She drove a solid white car with white interior and once she had to leave before her car was serviced because she had to go home and pee in her own "clean" bathroom...honest story

Too funny. We've had to customers come in and ask us to refill the tires with "summer air". It happens about once a year...

Old 05-04-2011, 07:05 AM

16,669 posts, read 17,433,087 times
Anyone seen this?

YouTube - Car Accident, car falls into garage pit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive