Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 03:20 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,777,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
For someone who's not that familiar with turbocharged engines, can someone give me an idea of the pros and cons, not just in terms of performance, but also maintenance, engine noise, etc.? If you had to choose between a V6 or a Turbo 4 that gets better fuel economy, which would you choose?
For me it would depend on if the 4 cyl made more power than the V6 while in boost. If the V6 still made more power I'd go for the V6 unless it was only something like a 10 hp difference.

On a turbo car, maintenance wise you have to make sure the oil is always clean. Sometimes running synthetic is sometimes recommended. Engine noise wise, the turbo does usually make a whistle sound which some like. Also on a turbo car you will want to run the best grade of fuel you can; with any turbo car or even supercharged car, the risk of detonation is higher, and especially if you run cheap gas. Detonation is the #1 killer of engines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 03:21 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,777,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew303 View Post
My 09 WRX 2.5L 4 cyl turbo eats V8s for breakfast
What do you have done to the engine in terms of mods and exactly what V8's has it eaten for breakfast?

Old 03-31-2010, 03:35 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,639,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Turbo motors need some cool-down before ending your drive, you can't do the typical "suburbanite late for work" dash into the parking lot and just switch off, slam the door and run into your office. You can't just tack 30 seconds at idle onto that scenario and be golden either. You can't quit paying attention once a little of the new has scrubbed off either.
This is why I started this thread. I was not aware that a Turbo required any cool-down. What are the consequences of not letting the engine cool down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
For me it would depend on if the 4 cyl made more power than the V6 while in boost. If the V6 still made more power I'd go for the V6 unless it was only something like a 10 hp difference.
Assume they have the same horsepower and torque and that the only difference is number of cylinders and fuel economy. Also assume this is being paired with a 5 or 6 speed automatic and that both engines only require regular unleaded. You said that you recommend getting the best gas you can for a Turbo. Does that mean you should only use premium and never get regular? The Sonata Turbo I mentioned above only requires regular.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:41 PM

366 posts, read 1,373,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
What do you have done to the engine in terms of mods and exactly what V8's has it eaten for breakfast?
I have a Cobb accessport stage 1 and a catback exhaust. Also being a mile above sea level helps too

Old 03-31-2010, 03:44 PM

432 posts, read 3,658,753 times
Quote:
I have a Cobb accessport stage 1 and a catback exhaust. Also being a mile above sea level helps too
I would have thought that the thinner air at that altitude would have a negative effect on a turbo engine.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:48 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Given your above post, planning to get a slushbox, not wanting to use premium, not knowing about turbo cooldown - I think you would be better off with the 6-pot.

HP books has several titles on turbocharging, most of these are more aimed at installing a turbo on cars that did not come with them, but good discussions on the care and feeding thereof. Or take a look at some WRX Subie forums.

Now of course the new car salesmen will strive to tell you what they think you want to hear, and for the most part would not know a turbo from a pumpkin if you bashed them over the head with it.

Most turbo cars have knock sensing, so will run on whatever fuel you put in the tank without damage, but will only make rated power using the fuel specified. I'm not that familiar with the Sonata Turbo, if it's really only designed for regular I would *think* soon there will be aftermarket tuning of some sort to allow higher power using premium.

If you had a turbo-4 and a 6 both making the same torque and HP numbers across the same rev band - highly unlikely but OK for the sake of discussion let's assume this. At that point I would think I would look at initial cost and MPG, *probably* the turbo-4 would cost more initially but get better MPG. I'd look at how many miles it would take to recoup the cost of the turbo motor in better mileage.

But more importantly I'd drive both cars because the power delivery is not at all likely to be the same, at the end of the day drive them both and buy the one you like driving better, or that you think is a better overall deal.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:51 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
My 09 WRX 2.5L 4 cyl turbo eats V8s for breakfast
And of course it begs the question - so what do you eat when you go up against turboed and supercharged (or nitrous for that matter) V6's or v8's? Power adders go both ways.

Warning on this thread - you are going to get lots of guys that drove turbo cars in the 90s and 80s responding (I am not directing this at anyone). Technology has improved imensely and you cannot base or compare the turbos of today to those of a decade ago. Turbo lag and the other problems associated with tubochargine, I beleive, is a thing of the past.

Old 03-31-2010, 04:18 PM

366 posts, read 1,373,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
And of course it begs the question - so what do you eat when you go up against turboed and supercharged (or nitrous for that matter) V6's or v8's? Power adders go both ways.

Warning on this thread - you are going to get lots of guys that drove turbo cars in the 90s and 80s responding (I am not directing this at anyone). Technology has improved imensely and you cannot base or compare the turbos of today to those of a decade ago. Turbo lag and the other problems associated with tubochargine, I beleive, is a thing of the past.
I have beat:

various Mustang GTs
newer Pontiac GTO 6.0L not the 5.7
several Camaros

of course if you add FI its gonna help the V8 but im already starting with half the cylinders and a much smaller engine so a turbo is fair IMO

Old 03-31-2010, 04:21 PM

1,474 posts, read 4,996,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Turbo motors need some cool-down before ending your drive, you can't do the typical "suburbanite late for work" dash into the parking lot and just switch off, slam the door and run into your office. You can't just tack 30 seconds at idle onto that scenario and be golden either. You can't quit paying attention once a little of the new has scrubbed off either.

*You* may be qualified but what about anyone else that might be driving the car?

I'm not saying a turbo-4 is not for you, I'm just saying they are not for everybody
thats a car guys myth
turbo cars tend to break more (parts) because of positive pressure on hoses/clamps

Old 03-31-2010, 04:31 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
I want the Chevrolet Sprint Turbo cause I want to go wahhh wahhhh all the way home. hehe. I wouldn't mind a turbo four engine but just because it's a turbo four doesn't mean it's fuel efficient. Some turbo four engines suck gas like a V6. Now putting a light turbo on a small engine is different. It would work as long as the person buying it knew it wasn't about performance driving. A turbo on a small engine would be there for hard acceleration like when moving to pass a slower vehicle. This would work if the maker reduced the turbo lag. Some of the 80s turbos had horrible turbo lag and then whiplash after the lag was over. I enjoy the smooth and steady acceleration of my V6.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive