Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 02:03 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,640,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
We just bought two homes over the past year (the most recent being two weeks ago) in cash and my mother tends to be very frugal if she knows she can get something for less. On top of that, she has a car that runs perfectly fine although its not the prettiest thing. Combine these issues and you can see why she's not aiming overly high. $15k is not out of the question but it's going to have to be one heck of a deal. We looked at a 2008 Lexus LS (Salvage title) and a 911 Porsche on auction but they are still hitting above that mark. She will never buy the car unless she knows she's getting a steal.
That's all good and well, everyone likes to get a good deal on a car, but if it seems to good to be true....well, it usually is! I can understand being frugal but I'd spend the $15K in order to ensure you don't get a POS.

If she doesn't drive much, why not just get a regular, vanilla sedan such as a Camry or Impala? Luxury vehicles are nice but the more options on a vehicle, the more problems that it may have.

Just my 2 cents...

Old 04-07-2010, 02:10 PM

5,994 posts, read 19,921,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
That's all good and well, everyone likes to get a good deal on a car, but if it seems to good to be true....well, it usually is! I can understand being frugal but I'd spend the $15K in order to ensure you don't get a POS.

If she doesn't drive much, why not just get a regular, vanilla sedan such as a Camry or Impala? Luxury vehicles are nice but the more options on a vehicle, the more problems that it may have.

Just my 2 cents...
I don't fight too hard for a deal myself but that's her mentality and she's been successful with it for years when it comes to buying just about anything (numerous cars, electronics, and five homes in the past thirteen years not one of which is upside down). Telling her otherwise isn't going to do anybody any good. If a car comes along that she can get for $15k when she knows its worth a good bit more then she will likely buy it.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:42 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,794,286 times
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet in this thread (too lazy ATM to read all the way through it), but something to watch out for -- especially if it's not the original owner -- is the possibility that there been deferred maintenance. A lot of second-hand buyers are attracted to the feature content and status that a depreciated luxury car can deliver in their price range, but then they cheap out on the upkeep. Get maintenance records, a professional inspection, or both.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:59 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,101,183 times
Let me tell you something about audis.They are nice for several years and then they are worn out and cost more to maintain than they are worth. almost as bad as the Saabs.......

Old 04-07-2010, 10:08 PM

The 2002 Audi A6 has a full maintenance history, has had all its major maintenance done. The guy actually emailed today and lowered to 8250, we emailed back 8000 only and waiting on a response.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:40 AM

747 posts, read 2,747,301 times
Quote:
The 2002 Audi A6 has a full maintenance history, has had all its major maintenance done. The guy actually emailed today and lowered to 8250, we emailed back 8000 only and waiting on a response.
How many miles on it and what maintenance has it had done?

Old 04-08-2010, 08:06 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,024,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Oh jeez. Why would someone who likes a firm handling and driving car like an Audi want to look at a land barge?

I'm sorry. Don't mean to be rude but your recommendation is useful only to people already pre-disposed to this style of soft riding highway living room with wheels cars.
I was going more by appearance than anything. Although, I don't have any quarrel with your statement that it is a fantastically comfortable ride. Nothin' wrong with that in my book. I put in about 20,000 miles a year, and I like to feel half-way decent when I get to the end of a long day of driving. Not all bagged out and exhausted from a car that drives like an over-sized lawn mower.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-08-2010, 09:29 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,613,905 times
Quote:
Hoping to get some good ideas from you fellas. My mother is looking to spend around $8,000-$10,000 on a used vehicle. It shouldn't look overly dated and we're looking to keep mileage below 70k. So far we've looked at a 2002 Audi A6 3.0 and a 2000 Porsche Boxster. The Audi was very nice but we offered the guy $8000 cash and he wouldnt budge below $8500 so we walked. We are not in a hurry and my mother will only buy something when she knows she's getting a great deal for her money. What other cars should we look at? Most domestics are pretty much out of the picture here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Your mom would be well pleased with a 2003/2004 Toyota Avalon. Those years of Avalon were not in the recalls and are one whale of a lotta car for the money!! Also the Avalon is a sleeper that most folk's don't know about since it markets to the older mature customer base that demands comfort and superior reliability which Avalon has in spades!!

If not Avalon then look at recent year Buick for a car for mom.
Quote:
Although the Avalon and ES are nice for what they are, they are a bit boring and probably would be at the bottom of the list in terms of what she's looking for. We're also looking at auctions at the moment and basically have all the time in the world to find a steal. I've got my G35, my brother has a 2006 Maxima (which was our mothers) and because she rarely drives we have a beater Sentra that we'll get rid of once she gets another car. She just wants something a bit fancier and more presentable.
Just who's doing the looking and deciding here anyway? You or your mom? If you think it's a bit "boring" that tells me who's doing the shopping.....YOU are!

It's as I said, The Avalon is a sleeper which means it doesn't appeal to immature kids but does appeal to a more mature person like your mom.....IF she ever gets to drive one.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Just who's doing the looking and deciding here anyway? You or your mom? If you think it's a bit "boring" that tells me who's doing the shopping.....YOU are!

It's as I said, The Avalon is a sleeper which means it doesn't appeal to immature kids but does appeal to a more mature person like your mom.....IF she ever gets to drive one.
We are both doing the deciding but I have a large say in this because I'm a bit more informed and aware of whats on the market. It's plain and simple. There are many factors in play and ride quality alone, power alone, reliability alone or looks alone will not make the sale. If we decide to go with an Avalon, we might as well get a Camry for less and call it a day but we wont. She selected the Audi and Porsche herself and asked me about them which gives you an idea of what she wants. The Avalon is not it.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:05 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,364,134 times
But...but..but...but the Avalon is a luxury car, I swear!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive