U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 03:27 PM

1,933 posts, read 1,643,217 times

Advertisements

One way is to find the right sized ditch and straddle it with your car. If you live in the city, you might try parking over a man
hole. I don't know what kind of trouble you'd get into doing this, though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 08:29 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,108,402 times
Years ago I bought (4) 6 ton jack stands because they go higher than the 3 tons giving me more room to work. I don't work on anything that heavy. With the car on jack stands I usually leave the floor jack under there as extra protection. 2 or 4 jack stands depends on the need of the job. I have a lift now so have no need to get under a car on the ground

Old 09-14-2018, 09:15 PM

22,156 posts, read 27,582,022 times
When I worked on n cars on th3 ground it was two jack stands the jack and chock the wheels. E-Brake on if the rear tires were on the ground.

I bought a lift 4 months ago. I will never go back to jack stands.

Old 09-15-2018, 08:40 AM

22,354 posts, read 20,203,764 times
And watch the clip from " Death Wish" with Gary Sinise and Bruce Willis.

Old 09-16-2018, 02:45 PM

1,751 posts, read 2,466,146 times
Get an 8' long treated 6x6 post and cut it into 1 foot or 2 foot sections. These blocks, along with some 2x6 sections can be used as back up support, or direct support and they are more reliable than 4x4's. Don't use a cinder block as they will collapse. I use a combination of jack stands and blocks along with the jack if I need to be under the car. In general, use the jack and 2 back up supports.

Old 09-17-2018, 07:32 AM

13,332 posts, read 15,220,847 times
When I work on my cars.

Front end work:
Chock rear wheels and pull parking brake
two jackstands
Slide tires (if removed) under the body of car near drivers door
Position jack in a spot me near where I crawl under (but don't have weight on the jack)

Rear end work:
Chock front wheels
two jackstands
Slide tires (if removed) under the body of car just ahead of rear axle position.
Position jack in a spot me near where I crawl under (but don't have weight on the jack)

Entire car up
4 jackstands
slide tires under car
Jack in spot to add additional support just in case

I usually try and throw as much crap under the car so that if it were to fall it would land on many items. I always have a spare set of wheels in the garage, so I usually throw two under the car on the end I have up in the air.

Old 09-17-2018, 07:42 AM

2,632 posts, read 3,625,188 times
Regardless I try to not raise it to high and also spend as little time underneath as possible. For bigger jobs I'll use my neighbors lift. But I have 4 jack stands, and two ramps used just for oil changes on my car because the jack cannot fit underneath. The wife's Liberty sits pretty high so I can do those types of things without raising the car up which saves time and is safe.

When the cars are up, I use the jack stand, rubber chock, parking brake, and keep the jack in place.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:31 AM

29,598 posts, read 71,637,126 times
1 or 2 for me Moet of the time. the only thing I can think of where I might 4 is rotating tires. And then I woudl not be underneath it.

If I had to go under a car on 4, I would have several back up options. Logs, bricks, jacks, more jackstands, or even the wheels. Anything that might give me some chance of surviving if the car fell. I usually do that if the car is on 2 and I have to go under it.

Old 06-21-2019, 05:10 AM

2,857 posts, read 791,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
This old thread popped up as a related post to something else, but it gives such bad advice, I had to pitch in. Never work under a car alone. Never rely on any kind of jack stands. Always use 4x4 timbers to shore up the frame once you have it high enough to work on. Work on a flat concrete surface, never on grass. Never raise it higher that you need to get under and move the parts around.
This comes from years as an EMT working car wrecks and being at home working on cars. We've had two fatalities here in Raleigh in the last year, from guys working under cars.
haha. Maybe never work under a car alone if youre a dumbass.
Sorry but 90% of the time its just me myself and I and the proper tools and equipment.
Fun fact: in the navy I was a plane captain doing maintenance on F-4 phantoms. Think they weigh around 30 tons... we had to change mainmount tire/wheel assemblies alone. At night. Onboard ship sometimes in rough seas. The tires weighed at least 120lbs and had to slide over 11 brake discs that had to be aligned, so you sat down under the wing of the jacked up plane with the wheel on your knees and inched it into place past the discs. While holding the plane in the air with your third free hand.
J/K on the last one, the rest is true.
I honestly cant recall what kind of jack we used to lift it but I think it was a heavy duty hydraulic bottle jack that had a protrusion that lined up with an indented jacking point on the mainmount.

I remembered thinking the job was impossible for one man to do until it was demonstrated to me. But then again you dont question things or say "I cant" in the military. Usually works.

Old 06-21-2019, 06:39 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
36,368 posts, read 66,152,660 times
My father always used stacked up blocks of wood as jackstands and a short 4x4 as chocks. The car only fell on him once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive