Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 05:53 AM

2 posts, read 9,350 times

Advertisements

On March 19, 2018 the auto repair shop informed us that the engine on our equinox with 60,300 miles was gone and he recommended that we put in a new engine.* The engine would have a 3 year / 100,000 mile warranty.* We were told if we put in this Jasper engine we would not have to pay for any engine related repairs for the length of the warranty.* So we paid $6826.29 and picked up our equinox on March 27, 2018.* In April 2019 that Jasper engine died.* Instead of taking that engine out and putting in another engine Jasper engine told the shop they just needed to fix it and it took 3.5 weeks to repair that engine.* It was at this point that we found out about the fabulous warranty that Jasper really gives you when you get one of their engines but no one tells you about until you try to have work done under their warranty.* If you expect a shop to work on that engine you are suppose to buy an additional premium service plan.* Under the basic warranty where you think you are completely covered, they only pay the shop $65 per hour labor and there is no shops that only charge $65 per hour.* The shop that had our vehicle was unaware of this as were we.* Our vehicle ended up going back into the shop 4 times after that piece of junk Jasper engine was put in and the last time it was in the shop told us they would no longer work on that engine but they gave us a list of places that might work on it.* Two days later the engine light was on and vehicle was running like crap again.* We called those other shops and not one of them would work on this Jasper engine under that warranty.**We traded that vehicle in while it was still running in a forward motion.* So, we got screwed over by Jasper Engine as well as the shop that put it in.* I hope that when a shop tells someone they need a new engine and they recommend Jasper, that people research Jasper engines and read the scam they pull on people with the complete junk they are selling as engines and run.* Although this is just*our story, each shop we called had nothing good to say about the Jasper engines nor the company itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 06:48 AM

5,671 posts, read 5,871,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM8560 View Post
On March 19, 2018 the auto repair shop informed us that the engine on our equinox with 60,300 miles was gone and he recommended that we put in a new engine.* The engine would have a 3 year / 100,000 mile warranty.* We were told if we put in this Jasper engine we would not have to pay for any engine related repairs for the length of the warranty.* So we paid $6826.29 and picked up our equinox on March 27, 2018.* In April 2019 that Jasper engine died.* Instead of taking that engine out and putting in another engine Jasper engine told the shop they just needed to fix it and it took 3.5 weeks to repair that engine.* It was at this point that we found out about the fabulous warranty that Jasper really gives you when you get one of their engines but no one tells you about until you try to have work done under their warranty.* If you expect a shop to work on that engine you are suppose to buy an additional premium service plan.* Under the basic warranty where you think you are completely covered, they only pay the shop $65 per hour labor and there is no shops that only charge $65 per hour.* The shop that had our vehicle was unaware of this as were we.* Our vehicle ended up going back into the shop 4 times after that piece of junk Jasper engine was put in and the last time it was in the shop told us they would no longer work on that engine but they gave us a list of places that might work on it.* Two days later the engine light was on and vehicle was running like crap again.* We called those other shops and not one of them would work on this Jasper engine under that warranty.**We traded that vehicle in while it was still running in a forward motion.* So, we got screwed over by Jasper Engine as well as the shop that put it in.* I hope that when a shop tells someone they need a new engine and they recommend Jasper, that people research Jasper engines and read the scam they pull on people with the complete junk they are selling as engines and run.* Although this is just*our story, each shop we called had nothing good to say about the Jasper engines nor the company itself.
Sounds to me like your problems were not with the engine itself, but other issues, having nothing to do with Jasper, and/or you didnt take care of the car properly. 60000 miles on an engine is nothing anymore, should not have needed replacing.

Old 08-29-2019, 12:28 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Sounds to me like your problems were not with the engine itself, but other issues, having nothing to do with Jasper, and/or you didnt take care of the car properly. 60000 miles on an engine is nothing anymore, should not have needed replacing.
The 2.4 in the 2010+ Equinox is pure garbage. The piston rings get worn down, and the engine starts burning oil often before 60k miles. I’m surprised GM wasn’t sued over it. I have two family members with 2010 models and both had to have the engine replaced.

Old 08-29-2019, 12:38 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Thanks for the replies as they are reassuring. I think I will go with the Jasper reman.

A Pontiac Fiero.
https://westcoastfiero.com/p/engine-conversion-info

The 3.4 pushrod can be had as a new crate motor from GM. My option on a truck I’m rebuilding is have mine rebuilt or buy a new GM Goodwrench crate motor from GM with a nice warranty. They also do not require core charges in some cases

Old 08-29-2019, 12:49 PM

5,671 posts, read 5,871,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
The 2.4 in the 2010+ Equinox is pure garbage. The piston rings get worn down, and the engine starts burning oil often before 60k miles. I’m surprised GM wasn’t sued over it. I have two family members with 2010 models and both had to have the engine replaced.
Really? My brother has a 10 with the 2.4 and has had ZERO issues with it. Last I saw it it had close to 125000 on it.

Old 08-29-2019, 12:57 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
Quote:
Really? My brother has a 10 with the 2.4 and has had ZERO issues with it. Last I saw it it had close to 125000 on it.
This may explain it a little better...

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/equ...-engine-82239/

https://www.classaction.org/media/eq...l-bulletin.pdf

That engine is a mess.

Old 08-29-2019, 07:27 PM

656 posts, read 1,374,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
ehh, jaspers have about a 50/50 chance of having a problem.

we never used them in the dealership, napa remans were a better pick..

had a customer install one in his own vehicle a couple months ago, and it leaked oil from the rear main, because of damage to the block, next one had a dead hole... no thanks, he rebuilt his old engine..

why not have your engine rebuilt? can get it overbored and have the heads shaved and get a little more power out of it while you're in there, whoever said you had to swap engines instead of repair?

Jaspers were GREAT for decades. Now I am hearing very very bad things from shops about them. I would check with a place that does a lot of them. I have been hearing of places no longer using them because like 3 in four are bad and Jasper gives them the run around when they try to get it made right

Old 09-04-2019, 08:01 AM

2 posts, read 9,350 times
Default you are wrong

Quote:
My vehicle was taken of properly, I have the records to prove it. The 2006 Equinox had a problem with the engines at about 60,000 and GM knew it but did nothing about it. I researched it after the engine going with so little mileage on it. The replacement engine from Jasper was garbage and so is their warranty.

Old 09-04-2019, 11:33 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
I only know of one person that used a Jasper engine, and that was back about 2002. The problem was with the installation and warranty. I suppose if you buy it through a shop that is an authorized dealer for them it may not be as bad. He bought the engine and had it shipped to a shop where a friend of his worked for installation. When the engine

developed a knock after 2 days, it became a big dispute over whether the engine was faulty or the mechanic had not followed every detail of the installation/break-in procedures. In the end neither would make it good, and he ended up losing the money and a friend.

Old 09-04-2019, 12:06 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,499,049 times
Never used Jasper personally, but have heard bad things about them from several people in the business. Engines and their transmissions.
Very satisfied with remanufactured engines from AER. Used them several times, and currently have one in one of my vehicles.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...dInSTO8OAi-IEr
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive