U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 11:10 PM

7,305 posts, read 25,014,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerman1 View Post
will not go to overdrive, will lucas transmission fluid help this
Couldnt hurt. Would be cheaper than springing the $ for a rebuild/repair if not needed.

I had forgot about this old thread I had started. You know I never added the Lucas to the tranny in this old Pontiac, but I still have it. I havent driven it in over a year though. The PS hose started leaking and I parked it. I put on a new hose about 4 months ago and moved it to another part of the driveway, covered it with a car cover and its not been touched since. Its a shame I am leaving it setting, but I have too many other cars that are more practical, but I dont want to part with this old Pontiac. I may get it out some this summer on the weekends.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 08:34 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,501,882 times
Dont put that Lucas tranny fix molassis in anything you intend on keeping. I lost two transmissions with that crap. The fact it barelly pours out the bottle is an omen not to add it.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:18 PM

2 posts, read 2,644 times
I have an 07 town and country minvan and the transmission just started that "whining" sound. It drives and shifts just fine but I don't know what the whining means or if I should just drive it the way it is and not worry about it... or buy some sort of additive and see if that stops the noise. Need a bit of advice.... thanks

Old 06-13-2016, 07:32 PM

997 posts, read 576,757 times
Many, many people swear by Lucas transmission conditioner and I am one of them. My wife refuses to part with her 2005 Freestar (2 in college another just got of grad school). Ford replaced the torque converter at 100k (warranty) and at 145k the trans started to slip. This ford trans is notorious for failing early. Any way it's been 10k without another slip in the trans. So yes, it Definatly works, but I would never sell it out right to a private party just in case it failed on them. If you google it you will find on many different forums about people useing it for slipping trans.

Old 06-14-2016, 07:06 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,501,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingsheep215 View Post
I have an 07 town and country minvan and the transmission just started that "whining" sound. It drives and shifts just fine but I don't know what the whining means or if I should just drive it the way it is and not worry about it... or buy some sort of additive and see if that stops the noise. Need a bit of advice.... thanks
Have it looked at and fixed. I can't remember what year, but one generation had bad transmissions, the last K-Car models, I believe.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:53 PM

13,869 posts, read 19,350,769 times
If it's whining, I'd point towards torque converter, not transmission. TC goes at very high RPM. I am not sure if Lucas will fix that. About the only other possibly whining part in AT is high pressure pump.
Otherwise, I am big Lucas fan.

Old 06-14-2016, 04:34 PM

2,997 posts, read 4,545,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
First off, I want to say that the transmission in the car I am referring to is absolutely the SMOOTHEST shifting transmission I have ever felt. You can hear the engine speeds change, but you cant feel the shifts (and no its not slipping). This has been my experience with ALL cars I have had with the Turbo-hydramatic 400 (GM) of the late 60s-mid 70s.

With that out of the way, I took ownership of my 1973 Pontiac 9 years ago. The day I took possession from grandma the transmission has had a "whine" in first gear. When it shifts to second, it goes away. I changed the fluid and filter last year and it didnt change it.

It has done this for NINE years and has never failed me. I was told it sounded like the pump was getting weak, but NINE years of driving with this whine, it must last a long time when its weak. Now its getting to where I am annoyed by the sound and wondering if LUCAS transmission additive would help tone this sound down, or is it only good for leaks and slippage, which neither are things this tranny does. It dont slip or leak, only has the whine.

Wondering if its a waste of money for the Lucas or should I live with the whine from 1-2 gear?
Smooth shifting transmissions is not good from what transmission guys have told me. A firm shift is what you want a barely noticable shift point is a sign of trouble.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:50 PM

2 posts, read 2,644 times
I took it to a transmission guy who said the first thing would be to change the filter (which is in the trans casing).... it might be getting plugged up. I will try that first and see what happens.... thanks for the feedback....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive