Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 07:23 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times

Advertisements

First off, I want to say that the transmission in the car I am referring to is absolutely the SMOOTHEST shifting transmission I have ever felt. You can hear the engine speeds change, but you cant feel the shifts (and no its not slipping). This has been my experience with ALL cars I have had with the Turbo-hydramatic 400 (GM) of the late 60s-mid 70s.

With that out of the way, I took ownership of my 1973 Pontiac 9 years ago. The day I took possession from grandma the transmission has had a "whine" in first gear. When it shifts to second, it goes away. I changed the fluid and filter last year and it didnt change it.

It has done this for NINE years and has never failed me. I was told it sounded like the pump was getting weak, but NINE years of driving with this whine, it must last a long time when its weak. Now its getting to where I am annoyed by the sound and wondering if LUCAS transmission additive would help tone this sound down, or is it only good for leaks and slippage, which neither are things this tranny does. It dont slip or leak, only has the whine.

Wondering if its a waste of money for the Lucas or should I live with the whine from 1-2 gear?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 07:26 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
I really like the Lucas additives. The tranny stuff certainly isn't going to hurt anything, but I have my doubts as to it quieting down your first gear.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:38 PM

946 posts, read 2,603,328 times
Lucas is good for the valve body anyway and will help to boost pressure in the clutch packs so it's not a waste of money. Your whine is likely the planetary gears in the transmission--GM is (in)famous for this. My Caddy whines so loud people turn their head but, like your 9 year noise, shifts perfect and it's a lot of work or money to tear it down just so it won't whine.

I'd drive it till the tranny actually starts to slip or have shifting issues and then build it with new planetaries. And turn up your radio until then.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:40 PM

946 posts, read 2,603,328 times
P.S. I should have been more specific to your question--Lucas will not silence your whine if it is the planetary gears.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:41 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
A good power flush that replaces all the fluid would probably do wonders.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:12 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,310,996 times
A slight first gear whine is normal. I wouldn't worry about it unless it seems excessively loud or gets worse.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:15 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
Thanks everyone.

Yes, Teach1234! - that was it, the planetary gears... thats what my dad said it was. I couldnt remember, but that jogged my memory. Yeah, nine years ago, he said it should be OK and I went to the Pontiac site and they said it would be OK for awhile, but I never dreamed it would be nine years fine. lol. I never had this "whine" on any of my other GMs with the turbo 400, but I have heard of it on others.

Yeah, I am guessing since its still shifting as smooth as butter, I will live with the noise for now. I am currently using it as my work car which is alot of in-town driving, but its about to become a "cruise-in" car again, which is on Sat nights only and the one I go to is 22 miles away and its mostly all highway and mostly all rural driving, so there is not much stop and go... it will be in 3rd gear 99.999999999% of the time.

Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teach1234 View Post
Your whine is likely the planetary gears in the transmission--GM is (in)famous for this. My Caddy whines so loud people turn their head but, like your 9 year noise, shifts perfect and it's a lot of work or money to tear it down just so it won't whine.

I'd drive it till the tranny actually starts to slip or have shifting issues and then build it with new planetaries. And turn up your radio until then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teach1234 View Post
P.S. I should have been more specific to your question--Lucas will not silence your whine if it is the planetary gears.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:53 AM

1 posts, read 56,742 times
Default 2000 Grand Marquis whining transmission

My 2000 GM is back from the body shop after I rear-ended someone. The entire front part of the car had to be fixed. Now I am noticing a slight "whine" in the transmission when I start off. I didn't notice it before the accident so my question is, would the accident affect the transmission in any way? I checked the fluid level and it is fine and of a good color. It shifts smoothly, no jerking or slipping but the noise is bothering me.

I am going to go back to the body shop because the AC is intermittent (they had to fix that) and ask them about the noise.

Is this normal for the age of this vehicle? It's got a little over 97000 miles on it.

Thanks for any input.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:29 AM

1 posts, read 56,089 times
my 84 jag xj6 has a whine in first gear and it goes away when it shifts to second third and comes back when it down shifts back to first .i jacked my eng up and broke my lines so i replaced the lines with hose i hope i didnt cross them if that would matter i dont know.but it was fine before i jacked it up and broke the lines.fluids are full please help i need it

Old 01-31-2012, 06:53 PM

1 posts, read 55,071 times
will not go to overdrive, will lucas transmission fluid help this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive