Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-13-2010, 05:18 PM
 
26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times
Reputation: 7943

Advertisements

Quote:
Toyota says it will temporarily stop selling the Lexus GX460 after Consumer Reports said the SUV carried an unusually high risk of a rollover accident during certain types of turns.

In the latest blow to Toyota's reputation, the Japanese automaker says it will suspend sales of the SUV while it conducts its own testing.
Toyota to temporarily halt sales of Lexus GX460 - latimes.com (http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fiw-toyota-lexus14-2010apr14,0,2017942.story - broken link)

Poor Toyota. It's been a rough year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-13-2010, 05:32 PM
 
Location: U.S.A.
3,306 posts, read 12,227,767 times
Reputation: 2966
The GX460... it will rocket off without warning, lose control, go into an almost certain barrel roll and then what?

Toyota, moving forward... and possibly killing you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2010, 07:31 PM
 
1,628 posts, read 4,041,718 times
Reputation: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
The GX460... it will rocket off without warning, lose control, go into an almost certain barrel roll and then what?

Toyota, moving forward... and possibly killing you.
What a crock of ___!

It is a big SUV, it is ridiculous to expect it to corner like a sports car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2010, 08:50 PM
 
Location: U.S.A.
3,306 posts, read 12,227,767 times
Reputation: 2966
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
What a crock of ___!

It is a big SUV, it is ridiculous to expect it to corner like a sports car.
You sir, are very predictable. Like batman responding to the signal in the sky, you have come to defend toyota once again no matter what the issue is... you make many claims that you are no fanboy yet the truth is so obvious.

I still don't see you considered my post that serious...

Let's be honest though, those things are big but they are wallowing pigs. Slush-like steering, water bed suspension, weight distribution is like a ton of bricks atop a broomstick, etc ... no wonder they go tumbling with the slightest whip of the steering wheel.

Last edited by Lux Hauler; 04-13-2010 at 08:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2010, 10:16 PM
 
1,628 posts, read 4,041,718 times
Reputation: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
You sir, are very predictable. Like batman responding to the signal in the sky, you have come to defend toyota once again no matter what the issue is... you make many claims that you are no fanboy yet the truth is so obvious.

I still don't see you considered my post that serious...

Let's be honest though, those things are big but they are wallowing pigs. Slush-like steering, water bed suspension, weight distribution is like a ton of bricks atop a broomstick, etc ... no wonder they go tumbling with the slightest whip of the steering wheel.
No, no, I agree with the last part of your statement.

I am not defending Toyota. The Suzuki Samari got a similar treatment because the nannies want everything to be safe for everyone. Now the off-roaders are snapping them up because they are good at what they are designed for. Do they flip if you snap the steering wheel at 45 mph? Yes, but if a person does not know that when a person buys one I am glad they are out of the gene pool.

That is my point. Let the manufacturers built vehicles for folks that know how to drive and what the purpose is for what they drive.

The vast majority of modern SUVs are not good at ANYTHING (except taking the kids to soccer practice), and yet the morons snap them up and then are surprised that they do not handle like a sedan.

You sir, are more predictable than me. You bash at every opportunity and then ASSUME I am a 'Toyota lover'. Not true, I am a CAR lover, and an ignoramus basher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2010, 07:24 AM
 
Location: Metro Washington DC
15,436 posts, read 25,829,503 times
Reputation: 10460
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
No, no, I agree with the last part of your statement.

I am not defending Toyota. The Suzuki Samari got a similar treatment because the nannies want everything to be safe for everyone. Now the off-roaders are snapping them up because they are good at what they are designed for. Do they flip if you snap the steering wheel at 45 mph? Yes, but if a person does not know that when a person buys one I am glad they are out of the gene pool.

That is my point. Let the manufacturers built vehicles for folks that know how to drive and what the purpose is for what they drive.

The vast majority of modern SUVs are not good at ANYTHING (except taking the kids to soccer practice), and yet the morons snap them up and then are surprised that they do not handle like a sedan.

You sir, are more predictable than me. You bash at every opportunity and then ASSUME I am a 'Toyota lover'. Not true, I am a CAR lover, and an ignoramus basher.
Your post above makes sense until I remember all your Ford bashing posts related to the Ford Explorer. You rush to defend Toyota, but bash Ford without any hesitation. You say you're not a Toyota lover, but it's hard to tell.

The ironic thing here, is that I, a Toyota hater, think Toyota is finally doing something right, or at least, appear to be doing something right. I'm glad to see them take this serously, even if it turns out to just be moronic drivers, who don't know how to drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2010, 07:35 AM
 
Location: U.S.A.
3,306 posts, read 12,227,767 times
Reputation: 2966
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
The ironic thing here, is that I, a Toyota hater, think Toyota is finally doing something right, or at least, appear to be doing something right...
I agree but it is not for any noble reason. Like dog beaten by its owner, Toyota is in a submissive state from being beat down by the media and public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2010, 08:00 AM
 
1,628 posts, read 4,041,718 times
Reputation: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Your post above makes sense until I remember all your Ford bashing posts related to the Ford Explorer. You rush to defend Toyota, but bash Ford without any hesitation. You say you're not a Toyota lover, but it's hard to tell.

The ironic thing here, is that I, a Toyota hater, think Toyota is finally doing something right, or at least, appear to be doing something right. I'm glad to see them take this serously, even if it turns out to just be moronic drivers, who don't know how to drive.
I did not bash Ford but used their problems as an example/counter point. (try reading them) I actually like a lot of Fords.

You, and others, automatically assume things about what I, and others, like or hate. I don't 'hate' any brands (except most Chrysler products for most of the last 40 years).

I never defended Toyota in this thread, I just said that you cannot expect a bloated SUV to handle like a car. It is the idiot owners that want it all, and the nanny state that wants us all to be safe that is the problem.

A tall heavy vehicle is just not going to be very stable. When you try to make it so, you will lose the utility that they were originally intended for. My work Expedition is an example. It is not good off road because they took away that aspect to make it 'safe' for the soccer moms.

You haters are blinded to any logic by your bias.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2010, 08:36 AM
 
78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Reputation: 49750
Just sticking to the facts, Toyota has a bit of history where their larger vehicles and full size trucks were nowhere near the level of their cars. (Their newer model Tundra's are markedly improved from the first generation)

Consumer reports is generally quite favorable towards toyota (not biased imo) so for them to slap a "don't buy" on a vehicle while others in the same class are not so labeled is telling.

All of those top heavy vehicles have roll-over risk....this one has been labeled as excessive. How hard is that to understand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2010, 08:53 AM
 
Location: U.S.A.
3,306 posts, read 12,227,767 times
Reputation: 2966
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
I never defended Toyota in this thread, I just said that you cannot expect a bloated SUV to handle like a car. It is the idiot owners that want it all, and the nanny state that wants us all to be safe that is the problem.
Thats not true either. Ever drive an Excursion? By far the heaviest SUV I have ever operated and it handled like a 7200lb brick. It did not lumber, dive around turns, float over road imperfections.... it was just an absolute solid machine. As far as GM goes I would say that 3/4 ton+ Suburbans/Yukons/Escalades also do not handle like modern day chuck wagons as people think they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
A tall heavy vehicle is just not going to be very stable. When you try to make it so, you will lose the utility that they were originally intended for. My work Expedition is an example. It is not good off road because they took away that aspect to make it 'safe' for the soccer moms.
I have to agree with the Expedition... I put those, Tahoes, Sequoias, etc. all in the same category. They are tall, floaty, bulky and were designed to give suspension performance of a car while weighing as much as a loaded pickup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top