Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 03:09 PM

968 posts, read 2,624,028 times

Advertisements

I tried searching and came up with nothing.

I don't even know what to call it.

so I have a 2007 Audi A3 that just hit 50,000 miles, and now its out of warrenty. I would like to get a warrenty that covers things that the factory warrenty would cover. where can I find that? and what companies are reputable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 03:12 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times
go to your local audi dealer and see if they will sell you and extended warranty but it won't be cheap

Old 04-14-2010, 03:20 PM

664 posts, read 2,093,865 times
Or check with your local Credit Union or Personal Auto Insurance Agent. Typically though to qualify you either still have to have factory warranty left or the vehicle must be a new purchase. The companies that do offer coverage on vehicle regardless of how long you have owned it are not the most reputable or stable companies.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:27 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,421,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
go to your local audi dealer and see if they will sell you and extended warranty but it won't be cheap

They won't if it's out of factory warranty.

Anything other than factory warranty is useless.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:35 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,138,312 times
Beware of these companies that offer warranties on any car. You better READ and understand and get IN WRITING everything or making them pay any real cost for repairs can be VERY hard.....

Old 04-14-2010, 07:14 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,906,525 times
Save the money for any future repairs. That will be your warranty. Chances are the repairs won't be covered by the warranty anyway. With the money you save you won't have to worry about it.

Have you had any prior problems with this car?

Old 04-14-2010, 07:50 PM

404 posts, read 1,556,620 times
this link might be of a little help

Audi Extended Warranty - CarSpace Automotive Forums

just a discussion about audi extended warranties

because your car just hit 50,000m you may not be able to get the warranty through Audi or the company they use. but maybe so. in any case extending the warranty for anything like "bumper to bumper" coverage will most likely cost more then it will be worth, as a couple of years and 24,000m might be the most you will get. if that

save that money for "rainy day" repairs and service and maintenance that will keep your car running well. yes, some things do go bad on these cars that are EXPENSIVE to fix. but its more likely they will happen AFTER any extended warranty for the car has expired. and even if not, it would still be a question as to if something goes wrong, is it fully covered under the extended warranty, or even covered at all?

but if your car is good put the money away you would have paid for the warranty (close to two grand, most likely) and keep putting a little away here and there along with it. like a little car fund. so in another 50,000m when your car needs something serious...haha! out of warranty? no problem as you would have saved the money for when your car really needed it, not spent it when it didn't

Old 04-15-2010, 12:36 PM

968 posts, read 2,624,028 times
i haven't had any problems with this car, but going into buying an audi i kinda had the stigma of "its an audi and will have problems" i love this car, and yeah i'll be honest i live paycheck to paycheck trying to pay for my apartment this car and my lifestyle...i can put 100 bucks a month towards a warranty, so i like the idea of saving up...question is will i be able to keep from spending the money?

Old 04-15-2010, 01:46 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Buying an extended warrany is paying ahead of time for repairs, whether you have them or not. I think it is dumb. The warranty sellers have coldly calculated that they expect you will pay them more than the cost of the repairs covered for that period.

You are only buying some comfort that you have a plan that will cover future unscheduled maintenance.

I suggest you simply put that money away instead of spending $2K or more for an extended warranty.

Someone living from paycheck to paycheck really shouldn't buy an Audi. I don't mean to be harsh but you signed up for a very nice car, not especially unreliable, but expensive when it needs service. In your situation I suggest you keep up with preventive maintenance and possibly learn how to do some maintenance yourself.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:54 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
I have to second hoffdano. Expensive repairs with cars are not random, if you drive well and maintain it well, it should hold up well.

Find yourself a good independent shop for the repairs that are beyond your ability or patience with yourself as a part-time mechanic (a lot of my DIY repairs go on for epic lengths of clock time, I can only allocate so much time to the car I'm working on with a full time job, etc. etc. - I don't have so many more hours of *work* in the job than a pro, it's just that the hours are spread out over several weekends...)

Slightly off topic but there is nothing like having some sort of older "beater" vehicle to go with a late-model high dollar car. There is always something dirty to haul or somewhere you want/need to go where you really don't much want to take the "good" car - here is where an old pickup really comes into it's own...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive