Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 04:05 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I'm negotiating a car with a dealership. The guy is giving me a decent deal $1500 above invoice but his invoice number doesn't represent the invoice number I priced from cars.com. The dealer claims the additional $600 in his invoice is due to advertising. I'm sorry but that seems like a b.s. charge. Why should I pay for their advertising? However, if this is standard practice among all dealerships then I can understand and I won't make a fuss over it. But if this is a dealership's way of trying to get another $600 out of the buyer, that is shady
The best way I've found to keep dealers from "packing" the total is to tell the dealer "I will give you $X dollars out the door and not one penny more and I'll take the car today. ".

Then let the dealer work the numbers backwards from your total until he meets your offer. If he fails to meet this final offer...WALK OUT!

The total out the door price is all you care about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 07:45 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploopy View Post
i had to lol a little

not saying you're right or wrong, but i know plenty of people who use their brain, cut cost, and work hard and still can't afford a Mercedes. i among them. using your logic some would say "the reason I can afford a Bentley and YOU"RE driving a poorer Mercedes is because i use my brain more and am more successful then you"

we aren't all "business people." nor do we all equate success with how much money we have or the cars we own and drive

i know plenty of people who could easily afford premium cars, family members included. and i count a Ford Edge, Chrysler 300m, Hyundai Sonata, Nissan Maxima (and Titan), and a Ford Taurus among the cars they own. all are perfectly acceptable automobiles. though they may not scream SUCCESS like a three pointed star

my sister drove a Benz that was the biggest POS on four wheels. she never bought another, but i would bet she wouldn't assume to have a lesson to teach anyone about cars or which to buy

its just many people really don't care about cars as much as others, and would rather put the money elsewhere. unless money is truly no object. which isn't the case for most of us. but for those it is true for, i would never consider them more or less successful in life then someone driving a Corolla

although i do want their cars
Just because someone has money, it doesn't mean they should just give it away because they can. Some of us worked incredibly hard to be where we are and if I can save $600, I'm going to do so regardless of how much I have. People who have money didn't get that way being stupid. People who have money also have a respect for money knowing how challenging it is to earn it. They pay attention to details and try to save money where they can. And I guarantee anyone with money reading this agrees with me. I've noticed that people without money think the rich should just spend it without worrying about saving because they are able to spend more without it impacting their lives. That's not the point. It's the principle. And regarding your post, you are extrapolating and putting a lot of words in my mouth

Last edited by azriverfan.; 04-17-2010 at 07:56 PM..

Old 04-17-2010, 10:14 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Quote:
They pay attention to details and try to save money where they can.
It's fine to pay attention to the details, but in this case, the details shouldn't be a concern. Your only concern should be the bottom line, not about how the dealer wishes to appropriate various fees. If they want to put down $500 for Conveyance, $500 for Advertising, $300 because you're a PITA.............. who cares? Let them structure it however they wish.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:31 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
It's fine to pay attention to the details, but in this case, the details shouldn't be a concern. Your only concern should be the bottom line, not about how the dealer wishes to appropriate various fees. If they want to put down $500 for Conveyance, $500 for Advertising, $300 because you're a PITA.............. who cares? Let them structure it however they wish.
When the dealer is saying he wont take less than 1500 above invoice because he isnt making money on it and his invoice is 600 more than another dealers', that does affect the bottom line

Old 04-17-2010, 10:35 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
Shop around to dealers outside your area. Do competitive shopping. I'd go an hour or two out of my way to get a great deal on a vehicle because the cost savings outweigh the cost of gas to and from the dealer. If you find a cheaper deal advertised outside your region, show it to your local dealership. See if they'd be willing to match the other dealer's price. If not then no sale and take your business elsewhere.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
When the dealer is saying he wont take less than 1500 above invoice because he isnt making money on it and his invoice is 600 more than another dealers', that does affect the bottom line
And again, whatever bottom line the dealer is presenting to you, it's none of your concern. You make your offer, they take it or leave it. The end.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
And again, whatever bottom line the dealer is presenting to you, it's none of your concern. You make your offer, they take it or leave it. The end.
Wow, you sound like an angry grumpy dealership owner/salesperson. Perhaps if carsales people and their supervisors treated customers with respect instead of bold face lying to them and trying bullying tactics then they'd be treated with respect and trust as well.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Wow, you sound like an angry grumpy dealership owner/salesperson. Perhaps if carsales people and their supervisors treated customers with respect instead of bold face lying to them and trying bullying tactics then they'd be treated with respect and trust as well.
Dave, that's what i'm trying to tell the OP. Who cares if they want to fudge and fib to you? You make an offer, the dealership can take it or leave it.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Dave, that's what i'm trying to tell the OP. Who cares if they want to fudge and fib to you? You make an offer, the dealership can take it or leave it.
Who cares if a salesperson want's to lie (fudge and fib) to me? I DO!!! I'm not going to buy a car from someone I know is lying to me. If I catch the salesperson in a lie, then how much of what he's told me is a lie that I didn't catch? I'm not going to buy a car from someone I don't trust, no matter how good the vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive