Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 06:18 PM

512 posts, read 1,427,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
OP, what are you trying to accomplish? What region are you in?

I'm with the Goat, I'd keep the Camry as a known reliable every day car, and go find a "real" sports car, 2 cars is not in any way too many.

Although. If you are going to be a car guy, you need to own a garage, you need a house...
i guess the thought is to drive something a bit more 'fun' to drive.....that's what i'm trying to accomplish.
i'm trying to avoid having 2 cars....i used to have a jacked up wrangler in addition to my camry but i'd now like to have only one car....i think...

regarless, i do have a house with a garage...so having two is technically possible just fine...i'd just like to avoid it. plus, who'd want TWO cars depreciating every year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 06:48 PM

17,113 posts, read 56,733,078 times
You could, assuming you are in non-rusting country, buy a "cool" car that is not depreciating or at least not depreciating very fast. C4 Corvettes for example (I know, I know, the later cars will eat them for lunch, but they are still a fairly cool car) are not that tough to find in good condition, not hard to work on, tires are a bit spendy but if you are not driving it all the time not a big deal. Or an older Miata in good condition. Or, you like Toyotas, how about a (good, clean, stock) older Supra?

Old 04-19-2010, 07:25 PM

4,260 posts, read 8,121,947 times
One mans waste of money is another's treasure.

Frankly, if I enjoy my car, my car note is the one bill I do not mind paying at all.

To me, if I am going to be spending money on a car, I want to enjoy it.

With no family obligations and the wherewithal to drive what you want, go for it. If you do it, you may regret it money wise. If you don't, you'll be constantly thinking about it and wishing you had.

I think a lightly used g35, 350z, 370Z, or something along those lines would be a good car for you

Old 04-19-2010, 07:30 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,251,815 times
I would say an Audi can be a fun car, which it can, but once you get out of the warranty period and the car ages/has a bit of mileage on it, problems start to occur.

If you want to keep the Camry, and get another car, I would look at a convertible if you're not averse to them. A Z4 in good condition, an e46 3 series convertible, and even a CLK 320 might be a good second car. You would have the fun factor, and can likely get a decent price on a previously driven example. With the CLK, do not get an 8 cylinder, as they are more prone to problems.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-19-2010, 07:47 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,837,064 times
audi's are junk...

you can pick up a nice, clean c5 vette for less than 15k

Old 04-20-2010, 12:00 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,273,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
You must like throwing away money then. I have had my 4Runner for 15 years now and still enjoy driving it. I would never get a new car every few years. What a waste of money.
I'm sure there are a great number of things you spend money on where I'd say the same thing to you. It's called prioritizing. I need to change a car on occasion that's something I value doing, and it's not wasting money in my opinion. I get something out of it.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:48 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,928,219 times
Stop telling this guy to get a vette. Seriously, he doesnt want to look 55. No offense but vettes have become the old mans ride.

Getting anytime of luxury car and expecting to keep it for 10 years is a lofty idea. You probably will get sick of it by then since it will look so dated and the maintenance will seriously annoy you after some time. Just look at a 2000 BMW 3 series, it looks extremely dated. Dont even bother with Audis ten years ago.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:58 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,386,954 times
If you could afford a toy, why not have a Mazda Miata? Even a base model is fun to drive while at the same time being good on gas. If you want to make it faster like as a hobby, Mazda has aftermarket performance parts available. If you don't want two vehicles but still want fun, you'll have to get what YOU like, not what we like. As you can tell from the responses here, we all have our favorites. For the price range you're talking about, "I" would consider the Subaru Legacy GT. While not as flashy as a BMW, it's got a turbo 4, all wheel drive, and moves great. Oops, the Legacy GT is close to the $30,000 range depending on dealership.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:14 AM

2,171 posts, read 7,632,182 times
Before you do anything, check insurance rates on all the fun cars you're considering.
29 Male + fun can = $$$$$.
Some fun is a lot cheaper than other fun.
The Miata would be a good choice. Nice solid car and insurance usually isn't bad. An older used one might be a good deal.
What kind of driving do you need to do in it? Nothing kills a good car like being in stop and go traffic every day. Do you get out enough on weekends to really enjoy it? Can you afford the repairs?
What do you want in a "fun" car? Pure speed? Cool looking? Neat TV commercials?
Don't overlook Lincolns/Cads. They don't hold value and can be good deals used. And those big V8s are fun to drive.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:43 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,477,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Stop telling this guy to get a vette. Seriously, he doesnt want to look 55. No offense but vettes have become the old mans ride.
While it is true that Vettes are the retiree/mid-life crisis car of choice, anyone who is serious about performance can't overlook what a Vette has to offer.

The car takes on a whole different life when someone who has a pulse and a desire to drive gets behind the wheel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive