Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 12:33 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,285,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Id personally go with NEITHER the ZR-1 or the GT-R. Id go right to the local Dodge dealer and pick up a Viper ACR, go smoke both the Vette and Nissan alllllll day long.

You are in line behind me for that Viper!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 01:04 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
You clearly are not the guy the people with broken skyline and gt-r heads , blown head gaskets, and bent/broken connecting rods etc come to.
You can blow any engine if you try, Nissans popularity in the tuning world, especially with the RB25DET, RB26DET and RB26DETT engines, as well as it's racing credentials speak for itself.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:48 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
You clearly are not the guy the people with broken skyline and gt-r heads , blown head gaskets, and bent/broken connecting rods etc come to.
LOL! They don't go to him because they don't exist. Seriously, of course you can break just about anything but Nissan's performance built engines are just about as bullet proof as any other top tier sports car engine.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:18 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Unless you're spending every day driving the car on a track, then yeah I'd say interior quality is an important distinction since most of these cars end up being weekend cruise toys and not stripped down caged race cars.

I like the current Corvette shape but I"ll take the GT-R over it without issue. Would you like to point out any similarity between the GT-R and the 350Z designs because there simply are none, not a single shape (oh well, I guess the wheels are round on both). Even with the 370Z, the only similarity is the roof line, which was done with purpose to mimic that of the GT-R.
The general overall look/shape of the car. They are rather similar. I hadn't seen a GT-R since the car show and when I saw one sitting on a lot it took me a minute to realize it was a GT-R and not a 370Z.

I'm pretty sure they share very little in common, but they are desinged to evoke a family resemblance. There's nothing wrong with that, but I think most people who aren't familiar with a GT-R wouldn't give it a second look rolling down the road and would assume it was a more pedestrian Z. The ZR-1 is in the same boat, as it looks pretty much like any other Vette, but at least Vette's have a unique look.

I've sat in a GT-R, but I've never driven one. I think the interior is nice and very technophile. It reminds me of playing Forza or Gran Turismo with the dash and the various read outs. I know from experience that while the Vette interior may be lacking it is an exceedingly comfortable car for long distance driving and can easily accomodate drivers of various sizes. The Vette is routinely cited as the most livable and drivable of cars in it's performance class.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:36 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
NJGOAT touches on a good point....usage.

All of the cars being mentioned in this discussion are great cars but with their own unique differences.
Really, they are all great cars with their own unique shortcomings which are generally pretty minor.

...and money DOES matter or we'd all be comparing these vehicles to cars costing 500k or more.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
I'll take the ZR1, but it is more than 30k in price difference, so maybe we shouldn't be comparing the two.
That's the sticker price difference but if I were willing to cut a check today for a New GT-R does anyone know what they are going for? Is there a markup over MSRP still?

Old 05-05-2010, 07:51 AM

143 posts, read 761,796 times
Evo recently had Chris Harris do a comparison of the GTR, the Audi R8 V10, and the new 911 Turbo. He says he'd take the GTR because of it's special drive feel. Nissan got it just right.

Then the 911, then the R8 lagging behind. The ZR1 is a beast of a car as well but it was not included.

Also, people saying that they couldn't tell the difference between a GTR and a 370z... my god, that is absolutely absurd. Must be trolling.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:44 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,425,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epik151 View Post
Evo recently had Chris Harris do a comparison of the GTR, the Audi R8 V10, and the new 911 Turbo. He says he'd take the GTR because of it's special drive feel. Nissan got it just right.

Then the 911, then the R8 lagging behind. The ZR1 is a beast of a car as well but it was not included.
That doesn't mean much, though. I just read an article in one of my latest car magazines (maybe R&T, but not certain) that compared the GTR, ZR1 and 911 Turbo. The GTR finished dead last and one of the biggest complaints was the lack of feel when driving the GTR.

Buy whatever floats your boat, but don't do it because some magazine editor gave a glowing review.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:31 AM

Here is a good question.
So you want to buy at GT-R or 911 or ZR-1....they don't exactly let anyone just take one out for a spin if you catch my drift.

If you've bought one, no someone that has or plan on buying one....how would you work this out? A mix of reviews and test drive? Curious.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:38 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Here is a good question.
So you want to buy at GT-R or 911 or ZR-1....they don't exactly let anyone just take one out for a spin if you catch my drift.

If you've bought one, no someone that has or plan on buying one....how would you work this out? A mix of reviews and test drive? Curious.
I certainly wouldn't buy one without a thorough test drive. I'd prefer to have the car for a weekend, if I'm prepared to throw that much money into it, but that might not be normal in the States? For dealers to allow that I mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive