U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What type vehicle do you own?/Can you help me decide on a vehicle?
Large SUV 18 20.22%
Small SUV 18 20.22%
4 door sedan 37 41.57%
Cross over 6 6.74%
Extend cab truck 11 12.36%
Luxury car 16 17.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 09:34 PM

4,472 posts, read 16,329,582 times

Advertisements

I would go with a larger SUV if you're hauling kids. I mean sometimes you'll probably haul their friends and 5 or 6 people won't fit comfortably in a small SUV. You also mentioned that you'll be hauling baseball equipment and you said that you've filled your mom's Suburban up before. That definetly says to me that you'll need a large SUV. Are you open to that idea?

If you are looking at one I'd HIGHLY suggest one of the new 2007 Chevy Tahoe's or GMC Yukon's; these things are NICE. The interior of my Yukon Denali could rival those of a BMW. However I don't know if you're open to paying over $50K for one however you can get a nicely equipped Chevy Tahoe for under $40K. Hope you find something you like.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 11:00 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,245,991 times
Thanks Speedyaz. For some reason, I can't get these crossovers off my mind.

I can't believe no one has gotten one yet! I see them all over the place down here.

Guys, I really am in need of help. I don't want to pay out thousands for a vehicle and realize that it didn't perform as I thought it should.

Let's hear what you drive, and if you like it or not.

For two years Ithought I wanted to get a car when I got my next vehicle, now I want to see what is out there, and I like a lot of what I see, but would like testamonies from you guys who actually own and drive 'em.

If your car/vehicle is not in the poll, thats alight as well, just post what you got, even if it is a WWII tank!

Old 06-13-2007, 11:15 AM

37,280 posts, read 66,859,670 times
I own none of the above -- a Mazda 3 wagon (or 5-door, as Mazda calls it). Room for 5, plenty of trunk space, reasonable in-town mileage, incredible highway mileage. There's plenty of space for 3 teens in the back, too.

My advice? Find a year-old car, SUV, crossover, whatever you want - a demo, an off-lease, something like that. You won't get a 3-year warranty or 1.9 percent financing, but you will save thousands of dollars and still get a car that's like new.

Quote:
The Prius - love, love my Prius.
I would have loved a Prlus, too -- but a 2002 Prius with 53,000 miles cost the same as my 2006 Mazda with 7,000 miles. Couldn't justify it.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:18 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,080,838 times
If you see a Land Rover dealership, turn your head and PUNCH the gas. Run as far and as fast as you can! I have a Discovery SE7. Great safe feeling but you can't get into a wreck when you are broken down on the side of the road lol We have dumped over $8k (cash and warranty work) into that truck and it has just 80,000 miles. You can't haul alot in them either. Maybe a cooler and a dog. But they do carry 7 passengers so that's a plus. Gas mileage is a nightmare. As soon as mine gets out of the shop AGAIN, Big Bertha is outta here. *Sigh, I still love her though* lol Can't live with them, can't live without them

Old 06-13-2007, 12:47 PM

20,005 posts, read 72,892,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
If you are looking at one I'd HIGHLY suggest one of the new 2007 Chevy Tahoe's or GMC Yukon's; these things are NICE. The interior of my Yukon Denali could rival those of a BMW.
I worked for GMC for 3 years, and trust me, theyre junk. There is a saying "all that glitters is not gold". You must take that phrase to heart when considering purchasing a GM product. The mechanics used to joke when a Yukon/Denali/etc would come in the door for just a brake job or oil change, theyd say "ah, theres nothing wrong with this one, must be the lemon!" I remember a day when we sold a Denali to a lady in St. Charles, just to get a phone call from her an hour later, complaining that there was fluid leaking onto her driveway. I went out there with the salesmen and found the trans (with 27 miles on it) was destroyed. We made it about 3 miles back to the dealer before the trans finally quit, at which point a towtruck was needed. Im sorry, but thats inexcusable. And it wasnt the first time nor last time I saw that happen.

And the interiors are definitely better than they used to be, but theyre still built shoddily with inferior materials. BMW is a FAR, FAR, FAR better product. I cant stress that enough.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:19 PM

14,864 posts, read 39,659,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I worked for GMC for 3 years, and trust me, theyre junk. There is a saying "all that glitters is not gold". You must take that phrase to heart when considering purchasing a GM product. The mechanics used to joke when a Yukon/Denali/etc would come in the door for just a brake job or oil change, theyd say "ah, theres nothing wrong with this one, must be the lemon!" I remember a day when we sold a Denali to a lady in St. Charles, just to get a phone call from her an hour later, complaining that there was fluid leaking onto her driveway. I went out there with the salesmen and found the trans (with 27 miles on it) was destroyed. We made it about 3 miles back to the dealer before the trans finally quit, at which point a towtruck was needed. Im sorry, but thats inexcusable. And it wasnt the first time nor last time I saw that happen.

And the interiors are definitely better than they used to be, but theyre still built shoddily with inferior materials. BMW is a FAR, FAR, FAR better product. I cant stress that enough.

Well I've worked for a GM dealership and owned several and never had a problem with the transmissions. Got a 90 Chevy P/U and no problems, 98 Chevy P/U and no problems, had a 99 Chevy Suburban for 3 years that never had problems, got a 02 Suburban and no problems and I pretty well know cars. It is a hobby of sorts . My oldest does not understand why I want her to have an older car when she starts to drive and why she needs to know so much about them. So that when you get older and you take a car into service because you are a female (and even some males get snowed) you won't get screwed. LOL!!! I would not classify GM products as "junk" at all. Sounds like my sis. She has a 98 GMC Jimmy and thought the whole thing was falling apart and puts it down all the time BECAUSE IT NEEDS THE OIL CHANGED or the fuse for the windshield wipers went out or the wipers needed replaced, lol. Keeps saying she will never buy another GM product because she has had nothing but problems. Well honey those are not "problems" but are things that are REQUIRED on ALL vehicles something called MAINTENANCE! DUH!!!

BTW, find one make that has NEVER had a problem like the one you described EVER????? Well maybe Ferrari, Aston Martin, Bentley, etc. do not but when it comes to mainstream production vehicles there are ALWAYS going to be some that just flat out have a major problem right out of the gate. Even Ford, Dodge, etc have problems like that.

About those Land Rovers, your not kidding. I know someone that bought one and the STEERING WHEEL CAME OUT! It was in the shop for a couple of weeks and while driving the loaner they thought about just asking to keep it since it seemed to not have all the problems theirs had. The next day the steering wheel came off the loaner.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:22 PM

14,864 posts, read 39,659,964 times
I do know someone that has the new Cadillac crossover and loves it. They don't have kids but do have several dogs and a couple that are large. They have had it over a year now and still love it.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:23 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,080,838 times
Default Land Rover NOT the best 4X4 around

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
About those Land Rovers, your not kidding. I know someone that bought one and the STEERING WHEEL CAME OUT! It was in the shop for a couple of weeks and while driving the loaner they thought about just asking to keep it since it seemed to not have all the problems theirs had. The next day the steering wheel came off the loaner.
Very funny! Now I am scared to drive home lol The rule on these is that if it is NOT leaking, something is wrong!

Old 06-13-2007, 02:24 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,292,673 times
never had a prob with a GM vehicle, or a JEEP, or Hyundai, but I dont think FORD likes me.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:28 PM

4,472 posts, read 16,329,582 times
Quote:
I doubt they're as bad as you say. I've know MANY people that own Suburbans and Yukons and most LOVE them. My uncle drives a 2003 Chevy Tahoe and has never had a SINGLE problem, not one. He swears that he'll never buy anything else.

Quote:
Not necessarily. I love BMW's but a girl that I work with bought a brand new BMW 5 Series last year and she had nothing but problems with it. First it was the motor, then the electrical components, and finally she just gave up and bought a Lexus. Now I'm not bashing BMW because I really love their cars but the fact is that no manufacturer is perfect.

I still love my Yukon; it's big, it's comfortable, and most importantly it's mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive