Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-17-2010, 07:24 PM
 
Location: Purgatory (A.K.A. Dallas, Texas)
5,007 posts, read 15,426,799 times
Reputation: 2463

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
On a performance front the LF-A will destroy the Diablo.

Not on this forum, sir. The older it is, the better it is.

Just ask many members here, a 1971 Cadillac is the epitome of engineering, it's all been downhill since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-17-2010, 09:20 PM
NSX
 
877 posts, read 2,168,836 times
Reputation: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
On a performance front the LF-A will destroy the Diablo. Looks are subjective, but the LF-A just looks more modern and attractive.
Yet again, I offered proof. You have none. The LFA will not touch Diablo 6.0 speeds (and we're comparing a car 11 years older, that's the sad part). Toyota fanboys just can't admit the fact that the $400K+ Exotic car buying crowd just does not getting excited by these cars, they are a complete joke. Toyota will be lucky to sell 50 at this price.

"Looks are subjective" The Diablo 6.0 is widely considered the most beautiful car ever by a large percentage of current exotic car owners. Have you read the threads discussing the LF-A on real exotic car forums L-power, F-chat etc...It's a running joke...most stay it looks like a Supra that spent too much time at Pep-Boys. I could go on an Aston Martin forum and use the "Looks are subjective" line comparing my 1992 Ford Taurus to their cars...sorry, doesn't work. Any car designer will tell you that There is great design (Ferrrari F40, Diablo, Miura, etc), Good Design (Jaguar XKR, Mercedes) and poor design (Aveo, Panamera, GTR, Aztek, LF-A, etc).

Newer and Japanese does not, and definitely not in this case, equal better. Chances are the Toyota runaway acceleration issue was never fixed for the LFA. That sure would be exciting at 198 mph..

Last edited by NSX; 05-17-2010 at 09:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2010, 09:29 PM
 
Location: Purgatory (A.K.A. Dallas, Texas)
5,007 posts, read 15,426,799 times
Reputation: 2463
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
Yet again, I offered proof. You have none.

No, you didn't. You offered vague, secondhand stories.

Everywhere I look has the Diablo SV doing 0-60 from between 3.8 to 4.2 seconds, depending on either the 5.7 (0-62 in 3.9) or the 6.0 (0-62 in 3.85). See LamboCars.com, the Lamborghini enthusiast site.

That only proof presented so far is that the LFA is faster around a track than the a current Lamborghini, which is faster than a Diablo.

Care to try again?


Edit - I'm about to get banned again, so Egg will have to take over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2010, 09:42 PM
NSX
 
877 posts, read 2,168,836 times
Reputation: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
No, you didn't. You offered vague, secondhand stories.

Everywhere I look has the Diablo SV doing 0-60 from between 3.8 to 4.2 seconds, depending on either the 5.7 (0-62 in 3.9) or the 6.0 (0-62 in 3.85). See LamboCars.com, the Lamborghini enthusiast site.

That only proof presented so far is that the LFA is faster around a track than the a current Lamborghini, which is faster than a Diablo.

Care to try again?
Note I'm referring to the '01 6.0. 0-60 3.4 sec
Lamborghini Diablo 6.0 vs. Ferrari 550 Maranello - Engine, Chassis, Dimensions, Price & Performance - Exotic Coupe Comparison - Motor Trend

Using your source, lambocars.com, the VT 6.0's top speed is listed conservatively as 208 mph, with 225 mph with an optional gearing.
Lamborghini cars, the enthusiast site

The LF-A cannot touch that.

Care to provide a reference of an LF-A putting up those figures?

Now as far as looks...we can let the audience decide:



I know which one impresses me enough to buy this summer. At 1/3 the price I might add. I think we can let the audience decide which is a nicer design...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2010, 01:03 AM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
5,994 posts, read 20,097,411 times
Reputation: 4079
I'm not sure how you can call me a Toyota fan boy considering I've never owned one and generally wouldn't care to (although I'll take an LF-A without issue). Quoting 0-60 and top speed is all great but the fact is that acceleration and top speed numbers don't mean squat about track performance which is where these cars belong. As has been mentioned, the LF-A is faster than a modern Lamborghini on a track, which are in turn faster than the Diablo ever was.

I'm not saying the Diablo is an ugly car, but it definitely looks its age while the LF-A is thoroughly modern with no expense spared (unlike the Diablo which is using Nissan headlights for instance). Anyone considering the car a joke on other forums is generally upset that Toyota has produced such a great supercar. Particularly Ferrari guys, even though the LF-A will be handing them their rear ends without issue.

It's not an issue of which one impressed you the most, its an issue of which one you can actually get your hands on (Hint: The LF-A isn't it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2010, 02:22 AM
 
4,500 posts, read 12,348,064 times
Reputation: 2901
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
I guess time will tell how well this marketing strategy works. I can already see it being a financial flop. At $400K, they are trying to steal buyers away from new, high-end, Ferrari/Lamborghini market and are already into the hyper-exotic used market (Think F40,F50,Porsche CGT,McLaren SLR etc.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
Toyota will be lucky to sell 50 at this price.
The LF-A is a research vehicle and won't make money even at the $400k+ asking price, as far as the cars selling though I'd urge you to click the link below, which I found by typing in "LFA sold" in a search engine called Google.

Lexus LF-A - Sold out in Japan | Cars UK | UK Car News


Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
The biggest advantage, well just look at the car. The Diablo 6.0 is considered by many in the exotic community to have the most outrageous and beautiful look over any car on the road. Period. While most exotic car owners would consider the Lexus LF-A's styling to look nothing more like a Supra or IS-F with a bodykit. I don't know what the word to describe the styling as, but I think everyone here knows that the word is not going to be "beautiful".
I'm fully aware of the Diablos following, however it's beginning to look dated and even Lamborghini themselves (And their designer) were open in admitting it had it's flaws both technically and stylistically.

And any true car or design aficionado thinking the LF-A looks like an IS-F or Supra needs eye corrective surgery or glasses, or just to have the stick temporarily removed from their nether regions. It has, for obvious reasons, familiar traits with the IS-F, it's in the same family (the Lexus F-series), they are supposed to share some familiarities.

Any designer would tell you it's evident that it's been designed with a purpose. It does indeed have some angles and air outlets/intakes that seem odd (particularly in pictures and upon first examination), but it also bears mark of a purpose built car. Every line, every angle and every opening is made to channel air in the correct way, and as any designer will tell you, there's a saying "form follows function", implying that something that works as best it can at what it's supposed to do, will also have a pleasing design.

If you measure the LF-A I'm sure you'll also find it'll follow the golden median/rule (1 to 1.614) in many of it's features.

The LF-A sports an unorthodox design, but it's by no means bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
"Looks are subjective" The Diablo 6.0 is widely considered the most beautiful car ever by a large percentage of current exotic car owners. Have you read the threads discussing the LF-A on real exotic car forums L-power, F-chat etc...It's a running joke...most stay it looks like a Supra that spent too much time at Pep-Boys. I could go on an Aston Martin forum and use the "Looks are subjective" line comparing my 1992 Ford Taurus to their cars...sorry, doesn't work. Any car designer will tell you that There is great design (Ferrrari F40, Diablo, Miura, etc), Good Design (Jaguar XKR, Mercedes) and poor design (Aveo, Panamera, GTR, Aztek, LF-A, etc).

Newer and Japanese does not, and definitely not in this case, equal better. Chances are the Toyota runaway acceleration issue was never fixed for the LFA. That sure would be exciting at 198 mph..
"Looks are subjective" is true, to a point. You could indeed go to an Aston Martin forum and argue that you think your Taurus is a more esthetically pleasing design if you were to think so.
However, you'd fall short if you simply stated "The Taurus is better looking than a DBS", this because your subjective opinion would be true, you can indeed find an inferior design more pleasing than a superior one, there are however such a thing as good and bad design and you'd be hard pressed to find any argument to objectively substantiate a claim that the Taurus is a better design.

Judging by your post however, something tells me you might not possess the right qualifications to make educated statements on design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
Yet again, I offered proof. You have none. The LFA will not touch Diablo 6.0 speeds (and we're comparing a car 11 years older, that's the sad part). Toyota fanboys just can't admit the fact that the $400K+ Exotic car buying crowd just does not getting excited by these cars, they are a complete joke.
Straight line speed and straight line acceleration are little grounds for comparison when you're talking about a vehicle specifically designed for track driving.
Which includes turns. And when you do come upon a corner of two the LF-A is far superior to the aging Diablo or in fact any current Lamborghini.

As far as your last statement I'd say the current sales figures suggest the jokes on you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2010, 08:48 AM
 
14,780 posts, read 43,702,592 times
Reputation: 14622
I don't know the Lambo and LF-A both reek of "new" money. I'll take the Ferrari, lol.

Just out of curiosity, if one does buy a LF-A...where go you go for service? I'm assuming a Lexus dealer, but how many dealerships are actually going to be able to work on these things. I know it was big issue when the GT-R came out and still is. You can find Ferrari and Lambo specialty shops all over, but what do you do with a car like the LF-A that has so much tech in it and is a complete departure from anything that maker builds or sells.

I'm pretty sure people who can afford one can afford to have people work on it, but I just get a funny mental image of a guy in a $10k suit sitting in a Toyota customer lounge drinking .50 cent roach egg coffee next to the "Joe six pack" who just brought his Yaris in for service while some kid fresh out of tech school is figuring out how to get the LF-A up on the lift to change the oil and rotate the tires as per the $24.99 service special coupon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2010, 08:54 AM
 
10,494 posts, read 27,250,314 times
Reputation: 6718
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I don't know the Lambo and LF-A both reek of "new" money. I'll take the Ferrari, lol.

Just out of curiosity, if one does buy a LF-A...where go you go for service? I'm assuming a Lexus dealer, but how many dealerships are actually going to be able to work on these things. I know it was big issue when the GT-R came out and still is. You can find Ferrari and Lambo specialty shops all over, but what do you do with a car like the LF-A that has so much tech in it and is a complete departure from anything that maker builds or sells.

I'm pretty sure people who can afford one can afford to have people work on it, but I just get a funny mental image of a guy in a $10k suit sitting in a Toyota customer lounge drinking .50 cent roach egg coffee next to the "Joe six pack" who just brought his Yaris in for service while some kid fresh out of tech school is figuring out how to get the LF-A up on the lift to change the oil and rotate the tires as per the $24.99 service special coupon.
You are greatly exaggerating here. Why would a Lexus owner take his car to a Toyota dealership?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2010, 09:00 AM
 
14,780 posts, read 43,702,592 times
Reputation: 14622
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
You are greatly exaggerating here. Why would a Lexus owner take his car to a Toyota dealership?
Well, yes I was greatly exaggerating in an attempt to be funny. In light of everyone else pissing in each others Cheerios over the miniscule performance differences between cars most of us will never own, let alone sit in, I thought it appropriate.

As for a Lexus owner taking their car to the Toyota dealership, well that happens quite often. Considering most Lexus' are Toyota's with fancier clothes, most Toyota shops are fully equipped to service the average Lexus.

OK, I'll rewrite it...

...I just get a funny mental image of a guy in a $10k suit sitting in a Lexus customer lounge drinking $1.00 Green Mountain instant coffee next to the housewife who just brought her RX350 in for service while some kid fresh out of tech school and his one month "Lexus Certified" training is figuring out how to get the LF-A up on the lift to change the oil and rotate the tires as per the $44.99 service special coupon.

...not as funny, but you get my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2010, 09:36 AM
NSX
 
877 posts, read 2,168,836 times
Reputation: 714
That's exactly how I felt, down to a t, when I took my NSX into the local Acura dealer (although I was slumming it wearing a $2k Zegna suit..but that's a tangent ). Awkward to say the least. Unfortunately, with the service people at the Honda/Acura dealerships would just see $$$ signs every time somebody pulled in with an NSX. I suspect this will be the same with the LF-A, or any supercar made under a mass produced brand like Honda or Lexus.

However at the Lotus dealer, you don't get that kind of crap. The service people tend to know that the owners are car savvy and smart, and I've been treated with nothing but good service and respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I don't know the Lambo and LF-A both reek of "new" money. I'll take the Ferrari, lol.

......

I'm pretty sure people who can afford one can afford to have people work on it, but I just get a funny mental image of a guy in a $10k suit sitting in a Toyota customer lounge drinking .50 cent roach egg coffee next to the "Joe six pack" who just brought his Yaris in for service while some kid fresh out of tech school is figuring out how to get the LF-A up on the lift to change the oil and rotate the tires as per the $24.99 service special coupon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top