Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 03:59 AM

961 posts, read 2,501,977 times

Advertisements

.....Have owned 20+ various jeep vehicles over the past 35 years(mostly used..and I do a lot of my own repair work).The Cherokee Sport XJ 84'-01' has been my favorite as a 4wd that do-it-your-selfers would own in terms of cost of repair parts, vehicle complexity, and reliability. I owned one XJ that finally got stripped for parts w/404,000(engine never apart or rebuilt!) on the odometer. That 4.0 liter inline 6 was a great engine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 06:42 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
No, they did not:

"Due to a complete incorrect statement by Chrysler, many people believe that we performed the first moose test with 50 kilos (110 lbs) overload in the Jeep Grand Cherokee. This is not the least bit true. We performed the first moose test with 100 kilos (220 lbs) less than the maximum payload (602 kilos/1 327 lbs) that is registered for the car, a figure which officially comes from Jeep/Chrysler."

The Volvo XC90 and VW Touareg did the same test without any problems. This is just embarrassing for Chrysler / Jeep. Mercedes-Benz modified the A-Class after the incident in 1997.
Except with the Chrysler people on hand, they were not able to reproduce it until it was overloaded. This became a huge thread on another automotive forum (not a Jeep forum, mind you) where a lot of facts came to light.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:13 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,712,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i agree 100% having had a bmw x3 prior to the jeep.

the x3 was okay in the snow , fabulous in rain but i slid off the edge of our driveway at our pocono home in the snow and it just couldnt pull itself back out.

i had to be pulled out.

just for fun last snow storm i put the jeep in the same position in the snow and it just drove out like i was on dry pavement.
I drove my parents X5 with X-Drive on it in the snow (Kansas). Handled fine, but my wife decided to tell me at the last minute to turn into a driveway to go into a shopping center, not looking. I turn into that drive, which has a nice incline, and it's covered in snow/ice. The BMW didn't even flinch...while I was able to feel it braking and transferring power, it didn't so much as slip sideways.

When I bought my '12 GC, I specifically bought it with Quadra-Trac II for this reason - I like the idea of transferring power to the axle that needs it most, instead of the fixed split that QT-I has. Selec-Terrain is nice too. Technically, combined with the traction control, QT-II can transfer power to any one wheel. Haven't tested that theory yet though. In normal driving, I have a 60-40 split and I can definitely tell the difference between the GC and my '01 Cherokee that it replaced. It handles much, much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive