Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 11:57 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times

Advertisements

In the US?

Lotus Elan
ITR
SVT Contour
SVT Focus
Mazdaspeed3

In Europe you can add a couple of Alfas, Renaults, and Citroens. I dont have any experience with them, but the Renaultsport Megane 225 is supposedly very, very good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 03:28 PM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,167,330 times
I've literally driven dozens of FWD cars and the best handling out of them all, I felt, was the Ford Fusion Sport. Feels very planted at speed and corners with ease.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:57 PM

3,993 posts, read 8,923,439 times
Some of the Alfas are OK, but I find they're a little loose at the rear.
I always preferred the RWD Alfa.

French cars are just understeering machines.
They can handle well, but they take a certain way of driving, you have to get used to them.
The newer ones are much better, but any French car over 5 years old, bah ! forget it !

Never driven a 225 megane, so can't comment on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post

In Europe you can add a couple of Alfas, Renaults, and Citroens. I dont have any experience with them, but the Renaultsport Megane 225 is supposedly very, very good.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:30 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
French cars are just understeering machines.
They can handle well, but they take a certain way of driving, you have to get used to them.
The newer ones are much better, but any French car over 5 years old, bah ! forget it !

Never driven a 225 megane, so can't comment on that.
Renault Clio Williams was not an understering machine:

And the Renaultsport Meganes are no different, from the 225:

To the R26

And apparently the new Megane 250 is following in that tradition.

Of course, the Citroens are keeping up now, too...

Thankfully, the Renaults and Citroens, while working as good as any other modern cars, have remained funky and French in the best ways.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:28 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
^^^
That Citroen is a great looking four door hatch.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:58 PM

you've never driven one then ?
Sure, compared to a standard Clio, it handled well, but it took up the gauntlet where the R5 Turbo left off as far as understeering into ditches.
The Turbo's were legendary for it.
Sure, the Williams Clio is fast, but it's chassis is not designed to handle 150 bhp.
It does have uprated suspension and brakes, but the chassis is the weak point.

Yes, your point about the new French cars is valid, as i said in my post, they have certainly got much better, but the old ones are not so great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Renault Clio Williams was not an understering machine:
Actually, I just thought of another one. i don't know if this ever went on sale in the US ?

The Proton Satria GTi.
Yes, it's a Proton, you may laugh at Malaysian cars, but it was designed in conjunction with Lotus, and it's a fantastic little car. Not the quickest in a straight line, but the roadholding is unbelievable.

Last edited by bobman; 05-20-2010 at 04:09 PM..

Old 05-20-2010, 04:04 PM

127 posts, read 326,113 times
This is just my opinion but the 1st Generation (2004-2008) Acura TSX has very balanced handling for a FWD sedan and the steering feel/feedback and on center feel is great

Old 05-20-2010, 04:12 PM

I must admit, I don't like the steering feel on most Japanese cars.

I used to do a little racing, and a LOT of track days, and with the Japanese cars, I found I liked them a lot more with the p/s disconnected. They seemed to give more "feedback".

To be fair tho, I haven't really driven many modern cars, I prefer the oldies. I like a car you're part of, and you can feel, rather than a computer on wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbbryan725 View Post
This is just my opinion but the 1st Generation (2004-2008) Acura TSX has very balanced handling for a FWD sedan and the steering feel/feedback and on center feel is great

Old 05-20-2010, 08:30 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX View Post
I've literally driven dozens of FWD cars and the best handling out of them all, I felt, was the Ford Fusion Sport. Feels very planted at speed and corners with ease.
Uhhhh. Are you being serious? If so, you need to get out more often. An Integra Type-R is to the Fusion Sport what a Ferrari 599XX is to a Odyssey.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:10 PM
NSX

877 posts, read 2,167,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Uhhhh. Are you being serious? If so, you need to get out more often. An Integra Type-R is to the Fusion Sport what a Ferrari 599XX is to a Odyssey.
Completely serious. Have you driven the new Fusion Sport? I've never driven an Integra Type-R (Or any Japanese FWD car for that matter) so I have no idea how well it handles. If you say it handles great I'll take your word for it.

Well I have two high performance sports cars and plenty of track time over the last decade, I think I know a thing or two about handling. The Fusion is my daily driver. It feels planted at high speeds, corners with ease and has higher limits than than any other FWD car I've owned, which are:

Ford Focus SE
Mercury Cougar Sport
Ford Countor SVT
Ford Taurus SHO (1999 model, not the new one)

I find this discussion to be a paradox however. If someone is looking for a car with great handling, it wouldn't make sense to pick an FWD car. The handling will not even begin to compare to the RWD or AWD sports cars choices available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive