Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2012, 04:03 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times

Advertisements

dkf747, you're not reading with comprehension, OR you really can't accept that it doesn't matter that the drivers have "voted with their feet", you're STILL doing something wrong until the law is changed. The fact that you haven't been pulled over yet (you haven't, have you? be honest, now) does not mean that the police aren't enforcing the existing law, as evidenced by all the people I see pulled over on a regular basis.

That you can't acknowledge that you've made a conscious decision to break the law and that that means that you're the cause of the problems you and others experience as a result makes you a bad driver. Better that you had the self-awareness to break the law and admit it and that you think you can choose which laws to obey and which ones not to than to do so and pretend that you're not making that decision and that you don't think that when anyone reading everything you write who has one functioning brain cell can tell that's the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 04:10 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Why is it so difficult for some to accept that lane discipline is critical to safe and orderly traffic flow no matter what speed people are driving?

Old 11-11-2012, 04:18 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,480,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
dkf747, you're not reading with comprehension, OR you really can't accept that it doesn't matter that the drivers have "voted with their feet", you're STILL doing something wrong until the law is changed. The fact that you haven't been pulled over yet (you haven't, have you? be honest, now) does not mean that the police aren't enforcing the existing law, as evidenced by all the people I see pulled over on a regular basis.

That you can't acknowledge that you've made a conscious decision to break the law and that that means that you're the cause of the problems you and others experience as a result makes you a bad driver. Better that you had the self-awareness to break the law and admit it and that you think you can choose which laws to obey and which ones not to than to do so and pretend that you're not making that decision and that you don't think that when anyone reading everything you write who has one functioning brain cell can tell that's the case.
Speeding does not mean you are a bad driver. One can speed and be a very good driver. Hell, I can spot more bad drivers that go under the speed limit than over!

When officers are told not to pull someone over until the exceed X mph means something. Slower traffic keep right means something. Really, many city and county cops here are told to give a specific mph! Its not uncommon.

Out where I'm at, Id put money that you won't be touched by a cop until you hit 11 over unless you are in a school zone or profiled for something else.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Old 11-11-2012, 04:33 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
Speeding is so counties can fill their coffers with cash. It's ridiculous to equate absolutely speeding with safety. Too many other factors come in to play. Speeding, in and of itself, is not dangerous or unsafe. Speeding while texting your friend and selecting songs on your iPod is unsafe.

Slow traffic keep right is so traffic will flow like it should. It's inherently unsafe to block up traffic, and it disrupts traffic flow. It's far more unsafe to force drivers trying to go faster in the left-hand lane (where they belong) to weave around you because you refuse to yield.

Also, in Texas, you are required to move over for faster traffic. The statute doesn't say anything about speeding or speed limits, it just says you are required to stay to the right and left faster traffic pass by.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:00 PM

110 posts, read 211,876 times
I only tailgate people that go slow in the left lane. It's like move the **** over you're going so slow.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:04 PM

802 posts, read 1,367,174 times
move to slower lane...

Old 11-11-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Speeding is so counties can fill their coffers with cash. It's ridiculous to equate absolutely speeding with safety. Too many other factors come in to play. Speeding, in and of itself, is not dangerous or unsafe. Speeding while texting your friend and selecting songs on your iPod is unsafe.

Slow traffic keep right is so traffic will flow like it should. It's inherently unsafe to block up traffic, and it disrupts traffic flow. It's far more unsafe to force drivers trying to go faster in the left-hand lane (where they belong) to weave around you because you refuse to yield.

Also, in Texas, you are required to move over for faster traffic. The statute doesn't say anything about speeding or speed limits, it just says you are required to stay to the right and left faster traffic pass by.
The statute also says:

Sec. 545.352. PRIMA FACIE SPEED LIMITS. (a) A speed in excess of the limits established by
Subsection (b) or under another provision of this subchapter is prima facie evidence that the
speed is not reasonable and prudent and that the speed is unlawful.
(b) Unless a special hazard exists that requires a slower speed for

compliance with Section 545.351(b), the following speeds are lawful:

It then goes on to define the speed limits on various roads under various conditions.

Of course, those that just love this particular entry and cite it constantly:

(b) An operator of a vehicle on a roadway moving more slowly than the normal speed of other vehicles at the time and place under the existing conditions shall drive in the right-hand lane available for vehicles, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, unless the operator is:

(1) passing another vehicle; or
(2) preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

Somehow, Sec. 545.352 doesn't seem to matter to them. They're all about the latter one, guess why?

I, on the other hand, recognize that both are the law. If you want everyone else to obey the first one, you have to be willing to obey the second one, and vice versa. It's the vice versa that people who are addicted to speed seem to have a real problem with. Again, guess why?

Old 11-11-2012, 07:06 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
Quote:
The statute also says:

Sec. 545.352. PRIMA FACIE SPEED LIMITS. (a) A speed in excess of the limits established by
Subsection (b) or under another provision of this subchapter is prima facie evidence that the
speed is not reasonable and prudent and that the speed is unlawful.
(b) Unless a special hazard exists that requires a slower speed for

compliance with Section 545.351(b), the following speeds are lawful:

It then goes on to define the speed limits on various roads under various conditions.

Of course, those that just love this particular entry and cite it constantly:

(b) An operator of a vehicle on a roadway moving more slowly than the normal speed of other vehicles at the time and place under the existing conditions shall drive in the right-hand lane available for vehicles, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, unless the operator is:

(1) passing another vehicle; or
(2) preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

Somehow, Sec. 545.352 doesn't seem to matter to them. They're all about the latter one, guess why?

I, on the other hand, recognize that both are the law. If you want everyone else to obey the first one, you have to be willing to obey the second one, and vice versa. It's the vice versa that people who are addicted to speed seem to have a real problem with. Again, guess why?

One is not dependent on the other. It's not your place to act as a policeman. The point isn't that speeding is somehow legal. It's not. But it's less inherently dangerous than blocking up the left-hand lane. As well, it's illegal to block the left-hand lane regardless of the speed you're going.

And all the bolded means is that there is no "intent" requirement. It's legalese required so that all they have to prove is that you were speeding in order to cite you.

Fun fact: in Texas, you can't be arrested for speeding, but you can for blocking the left-hand lane.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:55 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:

This is the pot calling the kettle black. YOU are not comprehending that YOU are the cause. I'm not the crazy speeder or tailgater you think I am. I'm just tired of all the congestion caused by self righteous idiots blocking the left lane though. Quit telling people to obey one law while you break another.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:10 PM

Okay, this is all beginning to feel very familiar, a lot like arguing with teenagers. Y'all are all right, there's no speed limit that does or should apply to you, the only law that's at all important is the law regarding slower traffic (meaning any traffic that's not exceeding the speed limit) keep the hell out of your way. That pretty much cover it?

As for self-righteous idiots, dkf747, I suggest you go take a good long look in the mirror. And I'm NOT the cause, because as I've said repeatedly, I don't drive in the left lane except when passing. But I do admit when I deliberately choose to do something wrong (which includes a deliberate decision to violate a law) that I'm the one in the wrong. Apparently you're not capable of even comprehending what that means, never mind doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive