Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2013, 02:09 PM

4,269 posts, read 8,171,277 times

Advertisements

I ignore them. It's the easiest way. I used to get all irritated and brake check and all of that. Not any more. Life is too short, and like someone said above, what is the end result going to be? Is it worth it? Probably not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 02:17 PM

364 posts, read 560,084 times
I used to get pissed and flip them off, but now I just slow down (not slamming the brakes, just applying them) and let the idiot pass. I really love to gradually slow down to an absurdly low speed (40 in a 45) when traffic is heavy, or it's a no-passing zone, and I'm not in a hurry. If they get the picture, and back off, I'll resume the speed limit.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:03 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
No, problem.......put on a set of flamethrowers. That will get their attention !!

Don

Old 08-09-2013, 09:07 PM

21,866 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
You will be the none that "really wakes up" when you get a gun pulled on you or when you actually get hit. Then what, you going to stop and confront the person you just instigated to hit you? You gonna run? Is it a fight that you want?

You make think thats funny, but someday, you will get hit, and someday you will get yourself hurt or killed. I dare you to do that to me. I will gladly take my 2 point following to close infraction to your reckless driving misdemeanor. Tailgating is one thing, but to purposely intend on scaring or causing an accident, that is flat out stupidity!

You need to chill the heck out when driving. You have dozens of comments on various threads that prove you are a very dangerous driver. I hope that you don't mess up and get some innocent person killed. I pray you dont, but actions like you describe, you just may.
Not really, it's the same thing.

Anyway, it's not an accident. Most accidents aren't. They're caused because people decide they want to be in one. In this case, two people decide they would like to have a collision. The first person is the texter/tailgater, the second is the brake checker. Same stupid behavior of people that want to have a collision and then throw their hands up and call it an accident like it isn't their fault.

With either texters or tailgaters, all I do is increase the gap to the car in front of me. Since a thee second following distance is really about the safe minimum allowing for some degree of normal distraction, if someone's less than two seconds behind me, I'll just slow down to make the combined following distance six seconds. If it's a texter, I'll add another couple seconds on. At least tailgaters usually are paying attention. Usually the people who like to get in collisions get annoyed by this and go around and become someone else's problem. Sucks for them, but I'm selfish.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:51 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,479,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Not really, it's the same thing.

Anyway, it's not an accident. Most accidents aren't. They're caused because people decide they want to be in one. In this case, two people decide they would like to have a collision. The first person is the texter/tailgater, the second is the brake checker. Same stupid behavior of people that want to have a collision and then throw their hands up and call it an accident like it isn't their fault.

With either texters or tailgaters, all I do is increase the gap to the car in front of me. Since a thee second following distance is really about the safe minimum allowing for some degree of normal distraction, if someone's less than two seconds behind me, I'll just slow down to make the combined following distance six seconds. If it's a texter, I'll add another couple seconds on. At least tailgaters usually are paying attention. Usually the people who like to get in collisions get annoyed by this and go around and become someone else's problem. Sucks for them, but I'm selfish.
This is horse squeeze! They are caused by people who decide they want to have one. Lol. This made my morning.

People tailgate for a lot of reasons but not because they want a wreck. The one that does tailgate because they want to be in a collision, well be afraid of that one. That is the one that will get you killed or hurt.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Old 08-10-2013, 07:26 AM

18,010 posts, read 27,456,617 times
If I'm being tailgated I usually try one of two things, get over and let them pass or speed up if I can without tailgating myself.

If anybody gets really rude with me, I put my phone in video camera mode and start video taping them, memorize their license plates, and call *CSP.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:26 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,502,557 times
Quote:
This is horse squeeze! They are caused by people who decide they want to have one. Lol. This made my morning.

People tailgate for a lot of reasons but not because they want a wreck. The one that does tailgate because they want to be in a collision, well be afraid of that one. That is the one that will get you killed or hurt.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

This is not what poster you quoted is saying - poster is saying that the person who is tailgating and the person who is brake checking both MUST know that it may end up in a collision. I also agree the best way to deal with a tailgater is to increase distance between yourself and the vehicle in front. This will also help in case you have a sudden stop and go situation and will give much more time to get you rear ended with tailgater. Usually they just don't like this and move over and go away.

Can you explain what those different reasons are? Which ones are the ones that you want to justify in a rational manner?

Old 08-10-2013, 12:37 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
You will be the none that "really wakes up" when you get a gun pulled on you or when you actually get hit. Then what, you going to stop and confront the person you just instigated to hit you? You gonna run? Is it a fight that you want?

You make think thats funny, but someday, you will get hit, and someday you will get yourself hurt or killed. I dare you to do that to me. I will gladly take my 2 point following to close infraction to your reckless driving misdemeanor. Tailgating is one thing, but to purposely intend on scaring or causing an accident, that is flat out stupidity!

You need to chill the heck out when driving. You have dozens of comments on various threads that prove you are a very dangerous driver. I hope that you don't mess up and get some innocent person killed. I pray you dont, but actions like you describe, you just may.
While I agree that the action described is likely to cause an accident, the bolded part above seems to be your favorite "threat" for letting tailgaters and speed demons do whatever they want to do no matter what. So why is it that the tailgater isn't courting the same danger, the risk that someone is going to get fed up with their little game and pull a gun on THEM?

Why aren't you giving the same warning continuously to tailgaters and speeders, including advice to "chill the heck out when driving"?

Old 08-10-2013, 10:20 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,479,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
While I agree that the action described is likely to cause an accident, the bolded part above seems to be your favorite "threat" for letting tailgaters and speed demons do whatever they want to do no matter what. So why is it that the tailgater isn't courting the same danger, the risk that someone is going to get fed up with their little game and pull a gun on THEM?

Why aren't you giving the same warning continuously to tailgaters and speeders, including advice to "chill the heck out when driving"?
It can go both ways. I have seen guns brandished, fights, and various other road rage acts. Since this thread is geared towards how to deal with tailgaters, my responses may seem point to the negative reactions that may happen to a brake checker.

On average, the general flow of traffic, the average driver, follows to close, which is tailgating, and speed. This is the average group. No biggie, they are all driving calm and peaceful. Brake check one of these people, and most things will be fine. Maybe a finger, or horn, but the situation will dissolve.

The aggressive tailgaters, the aggressive speeders, and anyone who reacts negatively to other drivers are the ones that need to chill out. Not just the brake checkers.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:46 PM

21,866 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
The aggressive tailgaters, the aggressive speeders, and anyone who reacts negatively to other drivers are the ones that need to chill out. Not just the brake checkers.
All tailgaters are aggressive, it's just a matter of degree. Same with a full on brake check versus a less than full on brake check. And yes, I agree, all tailgaters do need to chill out.

Becoming part of the problem won't help any, however. Just don't give control of your throttle up, pick the appropriate lane for traffic conditions (don't left lane hog), and go about your way leaving a safe following distance for the driving conditions. A tailgater is no different than rain. It's a variable you can't control, but you can increase your following distance to drive safely given the conditions. Since most tailgaters are incompetent drivers who are incapable of looking more than about 100 feet in front of their nose, they usually become squirrels and go tailgate the person in front of you pretty quickly and are no longer your problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive