Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 05:35 PM

9,504 posts, read 4,342,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Are you for real? How about not wanting to get rear ended if i have to make a sudden stop. Bottom line is tailgating is a traffic violation that cops can pull you over for. If you want to drive wreckless get off the road.

I don't buy it one bit you are a "considerate" driver.
You point is valid, but how does slowing down or brake checking the tailgater improve the situation? Again, you need to separate your emotions from reality. In reality, the tailgater is not affecting you unless something unexpected happens. You're literally making the scenario you fear might happen come to fruition by taking punitive action. I'll say it again: emotions have no place behind the wheel of a car.

The fact that you are OK with playing games on the road makes me proud that you don't think I'm a considerate driver because, frankly, you don't have the slightest idea what a considerate driver is.

Seriously, think about what you're saying. You doubt I'm a considerate driver because of my position against taking punitive action against tailgaters because it's dangerous? Does that really make sense to you? Wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 05:42 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,590,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
You point is valid, but how does slowing down or brake checking the tailgater improve the situation? Again, you need to separate your emotions from reality. In reality, the tailgater is not affecting you unless something unexpected happens. You're literally making the scenario you fear might happen come to fruition by taking punitive action. I'll say it again: emotions have no place behind the wheel of a car.

The fact that you are OK with playing games on the road makes me proud that you don't think I'm a considerate driver because, frankly, you don't have the slightest idea what a considerate driver is.

Seriously, think about what you're saying. You doubt I'm a considerate driver because of my position against taking punitive action against tailgaters because it's dangerous? Does that really make sense to you? Wow.
You show me where i said i would slow down and brake check.

Old 11-01-2015, 05:42 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
why not just let them pass so they not on your tail. if you got 17 cars crawling up your tail, you could be the problem.

Old 11-01-2015, 05:45 PM

9,504 posts, read 4,342,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
You show me where i said i would slow down and brake check.
I never said you did. You called me an inconsiderate driver simply because I said you shouldn't brake check or slow down in response to tailgaters. If that's not the case, please explain why you doubt I'm a considerate driver? I even said tailgaters were bad drivers, and you jumped to the conclusion that I want to drive recklessly. You're not connecting the dots.

Old 11-02-2015, 04:14 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
Sigh. At least read what I wrote before replying. I wrote "IGNORE them or speed up" - the key word being "ignore".

But since you went off on a rant, I'll bite. How is the person being tailgated a victim? The tailgater literally has zero impact on you unless you let him/her. The fact that you choose to let it upset you is your problem. You're right about one thing - tailgaters are bad drivers. However, the second you take punitive action - brake checking them, slowing down, etc., makes you worse. Letting your emotions get the best of you is childish and dangerous.

In almost 40 years of driving I have never even come close to getting a ticket for speeding up to appease a tailgater, and I seriously doubt you have either. Of course, even though I live in congested area, I rarely get tailgated, nor do I tailgate. Do you want to know why? Because I'm a considerate driver and my goal is to have the least amount of negative impact on my fellow motorists as possible. You should give it try.
Maybe you should read what you wrote, which was "speed up or do nothing", the key and first words being speed up. Suggesting that is a decent indicator that you're not the good driver you think you are.

I'm usually 5-6 MPH over the speed limit, explain how that makes me the reason I'm being tailgated.

Despite what you think, slowing down works, they usually get the point.

Last edited by NHDave; 11-02-2015 at 04:40 AM..

Old 11-02-2015, 07:25 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
How is the person being tailgated a victim? The tailgater literally has zero impact on you unless you let him/her..
Never heard of kids jaywalking, deer crossing, or sudden braking due to someone turning right without signaling, or any other possible reason someone might need to brake hard. How about when a light turns red? A tailgater rear ended me when I had to stop for a red light. It definitely had an impact.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:00 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
You point is valid, but how does slowing down or brake checking the tailgater improve the situation?
Not even sure what you are responding to there, but slowing down is a correct response to tailgating. It increases the space between you and the cars in front of you. Which reduces the likelihood that you will have to brake suddenly, which would result in the tailgater hitting your car.

Brake checking is just dumb, unless you are hoping to cause an accident.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:10 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
When young and aggressive I would brake check. Now I just be sure I am doing the speed limit which generally means I have to slow down.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:25 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,431 times
Quote:
Sigh. At least read what I wrote before replying. I wrote "IGNORE them or speed up" - the key word being "ignore".

In almost 40 years of driving I have never even come close to getting a ticket for speeding up to appease a tailgater, and I seriously doubt you have either. Of course, even though I live in congested area, I rarely get tailgated, nor do I tailgate. Do you want to know why? Because I'm a considerate driver and my goal is to have the least amount of negative impact on my fellow motorists as possible. You should give it try.

Do you have any ball park estimate about how much should I speed up to appease a tailgater? Should I take them case by case or go standard 20-30MPH over the speed limit?

Old 11-02-2015, 10:37 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Maybe you should read what you wrote, which was "speed up or do nothing", the key and first words being speed up. Suggesting that is a decent indicator that you're not the good driver you think you are.

I'm usually 5-6 MPH over the speed limit, explain how that makes me the reason I'm being tailgated.

Despite what you think, slowing down works, they usually get the point.
It depends what lane you're in, if you're in the passing lane (left lane) you should move back over after. Here is NJ it is law Keep Right Pass Left and people ignore it all the time. despite signs every couple miles on the highway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive