Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 07:50 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Duck View Post
all I can say is the 2007 Hyundai Tiburon sux!!
I always thought the tiburon was sort of a chick car since alot of girls around here seem to drive them same with late model V6 mustang convertibles and new VW bug's.

I have to say the tiburons replacment the Genesis Coupe is pretty nice though so hyundai has stepped it's game up and ditched the FWD platform for a proper RWD set up in a sports car...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 08:29 PM

927 posts, read 1,459,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
I always thought the tiburon was sort of a chick car since alot of girls around here seem to drive them same with late model V6 mustang convertibles and new VW bug's.

I have to say the tiburons replacment the Genesis Coupe is pretty nice though so hyundai has stepped it's game up and ditched the FWD platform for a proper RWD set up in a sports car...
yup - it's my wife's car ... and my baby is below!
Attached Thumbnails
Why are Koreans cars so inexpensive?-cad2.jpg  

Old 05-27-2010, 08:31 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
bek they dont make 80 an hour?

Old 05-28-2010, 01:48 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,238,812 times
They won't be for much longer.

Word is Hyunda iis planning to build an ultra high end luxury sedan to compete with Maybach, Rolls Royce, and Bentley. Instead of costing $300,000 like those models, rumor is that this Hyundai will start at around $150,000.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:24 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Duck View Post
yup - it's my wife's car ... and my baby is below!
That is a very nice '70 Cadillac Convertible!

Old 05-28-2010, 02:29 AM

470 posts, read 1,155,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post
I'm serious.

Recent Korean cars have first class design, materials and build quality. They are also being styled and built in the U.S. Furthermore, South Korea, and especially Seoul, have expensive cost of living. So where are they finding the cost savings to be able to sell a more heavily contented vehicle for less than a comparable domestic or Japanese model? I'm assuming that their U.S. plants are non-unionized and pay similarly to the Japanese plants.

Are the Koreans willing to realize a much smaller profit margin per unit? Much lower compensation for upper management? More efficient company?
"First class design,materials and build quality?"
Other than a few models,I'm not sure where you are getting information from,OP.Korean vehicles are known for frequent mechanical issues and poor design. They have low resale values as a result.

While this has improved since the first entered the American market, they still are not comparable in performance or quality to the majority of other vehicles produced here in the US or abroad.

Those factors are the reasons that Korean sell for the prices that they do.
And they may be overpriced,IMHO. LOL

Old 05-28-2010, 02:58 AM

890 posts, read 3,700,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus View Post
"First class design,materials and build quality?"
Other than a few models,I'm not sure where you are getting information from,OP.Korean vehicles are known for frequent mechanical issues and poor design. They have low resale values as a result.

While this has improved since the first entered the American market, they still are not comparable in performance or quality to the majority of other vehicles produced here in the US or abroad.

Those factors are the reasons that Korean sell for the prices that they do.
And they may be overpriced,IMHO. LOL
1995 called...they want their impressions of Korean cars back. My 2004 Santa Fe just turned over 140,000 miles and here are a few stats:

• It has fewer rattles than my mom's 2002 Lexus RX300.
  • Everything related to the powertrain is original and runs like a top. Meanwhile, the Lexus dropped its transmission at 107,000 miles despite being meticulously maintained. That was a $5,200 repair, parts and labor and Lexus refused to meet us in the middle.
  • It's quieter than my dad's Acura RL.
  • It has never once failed to start or left me stranded and I drove it on a 10,000 mile odyssey of this country last year where it returned an average of 25 mpg.
  • In total, I have had to have four parts on this car replaced in the six years and 140,000 miles I have owned it. Only one of those items was engine related (serpentine belt tensioner bearing) and it was not critical.
Is my Santa Fe perfect? Absolutely not. No car is. But keep in mind I spend my days driving new Hondas and Acuras to be loaded on rail cars and I can say without a doubt that almost everything about those cars is inferior to my Santa Fe. From the plastics to the crappy carpet that Honda uses, it just reeks of cost-cutting. It's thin and doesn't even have any nap for cryin' out loud. Not to mention the doors echo with a dull 'thud' every time the outside handle is pulled or the door is closed with any sort of enthusiasm.

So put aside your misconceptions and go look at the new Hyundais. And it doesn't bother me if you do or not. I've got a great car at a great price that has been more reliable than both my parents' Japanese luxury cars. I love my Hyundai and next year, I plan on buying another.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:13 AM

470 posts, read 1,155,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosecitywanderer View Post
1995 called...they want their impressions of Korean cars back. My 2004 Santa Fe just turned over 140,000 miles and here are a few stats:

• It has fewer rattles than my mom's 2002 Lexus RX300.
  • Everything related to the powertrain is original and runs like a top. Meanwhile, the Lexus dropped its transmission at 107,000 miles despite being meticulously maintained. That was a $5,200 repair, parts and labor and Lexus refused to meet us in the middle.
  • It's quieter than my dad's Acura RL.
  • It has never once failed to start or left me stranded and I drove it on a 10,000 mile odyssey of this country last year where it returned an average of 25 mpg.
  • In total, I have had to have four parts on this car replaced in the six years and 140,000 miles I have owned it. Only one of those items was engine related (serpentine belt tensioner bearing) and it was not critical.
Is my Santa Fe perfect? Absolutely not. No car is. But keep in mind I spend my days driving new Hondas and Acuras to be loaded on rail cars and I can say without a doubt that almost everything about those cars is inferior to my Santa Fe. From the plastics to the crappy carpet that Honda uses, it just reeks of cost-cutting. It's thin and doesn't even have any nap for cryin' out loud. Not to mention the doors echo with a dull 'thud' every time the outside handle is pulled or the door is closed with any sort of enthusiasm.

So put aside your misconceptions and go look at the new Hyundais. And it doesn't bother me if you do or not. I've got a great car at a great price that has been more reliable than both my parents' Japanese luxury cars. I love my Hyundai and next year, I plan on buying another.
2010 here.
Read the your Blue Book and compare the resale values of Korean vehicles to other comparable vehicles.
Not that high is it?
Why's that?
Hmm...maybe...quality?

Your Santa Fe (according to you) hasn't caused you many problems.
Goody for you...
But that's hardly representative of anything other than your having a better than average car,is it?

I base my beliefs on JD Power,Blue Book rankings,auto magazines and looking the at the numbers and types of vehicles I see on the roads when I travel.I see very few late model Korean cars.
Nor do I see a number of people whose business it is to rate cars recommend Korean cars en masse.

Does Korea make good cars?
Sure.. they'd have to...they make millions of cars.
Are they overall of high quality?
Not from what I'm reading and seeing.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:24 AM

43 posts, read 86,656 times
Korean government assistance in the way of tax breaks

Old 05-28-2010, 04:15 AM

927 posts, read 1,459,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
That is a very nice '70 Cadillac Convertible!
wow ... you know your car's!

yup - end of an era ...
  • Last year De Ville was made as a convertible
  • Last rear wheel drive Cadillac convertible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive