Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 08:11 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,333,578 times

Advertisements

Pennsylvania to conduct seatbelt checks... from aircraft? — Autoblog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 10:38 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,947,316 times
When I hear stuff like this, I go out of my way not to wear my seatbelt. A while back, my state was running a series of obnoxious commercials telling people they'd get a ticket if they didn't wear their seatbelts, and that there would be special enforcement over a holiday weekend. Though I normally wear my seatbelt, I went out of my way not to wear it that weekend. No ticket, though I wouldn't have cared if I'd gotten one.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:53 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
When I hear stuff like this, I go out of my way not to wear my seatbelt. A while back, my state was running a series of obnoxious commercials telling people they'd get a ticket if they didn't wear their seatbelts, and that there would be special enforcement over a holiday weekend. Though I normally wear my seatbelt, I went out of my way not to wear it that weekend. No ticket, though I wouldn't have cared if I'd gotten one.
umm you do know the point of wearing a seatbelt is to protect you in case of an accident that is why it is a law. so you risked your life or serious injury to flaunt the law?

the reason they beef up seat belt checks during the holiday season is to nail drunk drivers

Old 05-23-2010, 11:32 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Quote:
That just sounds like a waste of money? What kind of point are you really proving?

Old 05-23-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
That just sounds like a waste of money? What kind of point are you really proving?
None really, but I have a bit of a rebellious streak. The commercial I saw was pretty obnoxious. In any case, I'd rather see the police enforce laws against texting while driving. That's a lot more dangerous.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
umm you do know the point of wearing a seatbelt is to protect you in case of an accident that is why it is a law. so you risked your life or serious injury to flaunt the law?

the reason they beef up seat belt checks during the holiday season is to nail drunk drivers
Well, I don't drive drunk so I'm not too worried about that.

Do you mean 'flout' the law?

Old 05-23-2010, 11:47 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times
Quote:
None really, but I have a bit of a rebellious streak. In any case, I'd rather see the police enforce laws against texting while driving. That's a lot more dangerous.
you missed the point if a texter or drunk driver hits you and you are not wearing your seat belt chances are you will be the one that get's hurt in the accident well if you wore your seat belt there is a chance you could of walked away uninjured.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
you missed the point if a texter or drunk driver hits you and you are not wearing your seat belt chances are you will be the one that get's hurt in the accident well if you wore your seat belt there is a chance you could of walked away uninjured.
I understand the point. But I think the role of law enforcement should be more to protect us from others who do wrong than to protect us from ourselves.

As I said, I wear my seatbelt almost all the time. Even for short drives. But I'm well past the point in life where I'm going to quake in fear of being pulled over by the police, so I don't like an advertising campaign that says I should be.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:31 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,220,282 times
Seat belt laws are probably THE most transparent money grubbing scheme that a state can carry out. The state does not care at all about the well being of their people, everyone already knows that. Furthermore, the consequences of someone not wearing a seatbelt does NOT affect the state AT ALL.

So what are we left with here? None of us benefit from these laws (unlike DWI enforcement, texting while driving enforcement, etc) but yet we have one more thing to worry about, one more way for government to literally STEAL money from us. There is nothing positive about this type of enforcement it is only allowing police state type governance to flourish.

If anyone would like to say or think...

"Well just wear your seatbelt and you will have nothing to worry about."

To that I would have to say:

1. You're a gutless, foolish, ignorant American that takes freedom from granted. The type of person that sees no problem with these small little instances of rights-trampling but fails to see what the ultimate summation of these little tramplings will result in.

2. I already wear my seatbelt. This outrage is brought on purely by principal. This sort of thing is absolutely repulsive to me.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:21 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Quote:
Would you have cared if you had an accident, went through the windshield and ended up in hospital for a few months?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive