Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2010, 02:00 PM

1,113 posts, read 3,493,670 times

Advertisements

I have a 1989 Chevy Caprice. The driver's side window is off track and we're trying to fix it. We need to know how to put it back on. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 03:39 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Power windows? If so be certain to disconnect the battery before putting your fingers/hands inside the door. The mechanism has some scissors-type linkages and is capable of severely injuring your hand(s) if accidentally turned on while your hand is in there (thanks to Nativechief for pointing this out on a previous thread)

A shop manual would be very handy - basically you take the trim panels off the inner door panel, pull it off, and you should be able to see the window mechanism, figure out what's broken, worn out, or loose.

Sorry for the rather general nature of the instructions - best bet is to get a shop manual, although for body issues like this frequently only the factory manual is any good. Google "Helm, inc" and that should put you onto GM factory manuals, or get a used one from Faxon's.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:04 PM

1,113 posts, read 3,493,670 times
No, it's got old-school manual windows.

We've managed to get most of the interior door panel off, except around the window crank.

I'll look into those manuals you mentioned...thanks!

Old 05-26-2010, 07:09 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,771,717 times
There's a little clip that clips on the edge of the window on the rear window channel. That clip allows the glass to slide up and down in the channel.

If that little clip breaks, the glass will be able to fall inwards towards the front channel some. It'll make rolling up and down the windows a real bear and may also break the window due to the added stress.

If the glass is inside the track on both ends and just freely slides up and down, then chances are the roller/arm assembly have came off the slide track located inside the door on the bottom of the window. (you will not be able to see it until the door panel is off)

As for getting the door panel off around the crank handle, there's a special tool that looks like a metal spatula that you can buy at any automotive store for around $7....that tool allows you to remove the clip that holds the window crank handle on. Be careful as the retaining clip will come flying out and you can easily lose it.

While you're at the store buying the crank retainer removal tool, you should also buy some new door panel retainers (I'm sure you broke a few removing the panel) as well as some white spray grease so you can lube the hell out of the window tracks/crank mechanism and/or those plastic slider clips. Oh and they also carry crank retainer clips if you indeed lose yours.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:28 AM

232 posts, read 632,499 times
My civic use to do that. I limped around with it for 3 years, removing my door panel, lossening one end of the window guides and popping it back on it's track every couple weeks. About 2 months ago I decided to actually fix it and got a new window regulator for it. Easy remove and replace and the window rolls up and down like new now.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:45 AM

1 posts, read 11,541 times
How can i get the rear passenger side door panel off of my 1989 chevy caprice classic? I cant get the window crank off.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:31 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89caprice View Post
How can i get the rear passenger side door panel off of my 1989 chevy caprice classic? I cant get the window crank off.
By doing this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz
As for getting the door panel off around the crank handle, there's a special tool that looks like a metal spatula that you can buy at any automotive store for around $7....that tool allows you to remove the clip that holds the window crank handle on. Be careful as the retaining clip will come flying out and you can easily lose it.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:50 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,866,412 times
Get one of these

and then do this

When you buy the tool, buy a couple of new retainer clips in case your old one flies away.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:08 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
There is also a pliers-type tool to take these clips off, or a crochet needle of the right size can be used to hook the closed end.

If you use the spatula type, you want to push the door panel down a bit so you don't scratch it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive