Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 11:09 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times

Advertisements

I am looking to get a "new" replacment truck around 10 years old and am stuck between getting a dodge ram 99-01 2500 with the 5.9 cummins or a 99-03 ford F250 with a 7.3 powerstroke I hate auto tranny's so both will be backed by a standard tranny.

what truck do you guys prefer I will be hauling a boat and once and a while my dads 5th wheel and chances are I will tune the trucks a bit.
this
http://thetimestribune.autoconx.com/photos/200/500879200_1_B.jpg (broken link)

or this
http://www.edmunds.com/pictures/VEHICLE/2002/Ford/19077/2002.ford.f350superduty.3825-300x189.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 11:39 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
I use them both with good service.

Probably see more F250's doing hauling chores around here than the Ram's ...

I like the Cummins, but the motor is far superior to the chassis that it's installed in. I'd say that the Ford has better heater/A/C, a more comfortable/durable interior, and a more durable chassis and accessories than the Dodge. Neither is cheap to keep on the road ... you will pay for the pleasure of having the load/hauling ability.

The powerstroke is a little more finicky than the Cummins ... seems to be a bit more sensitive to clean good quality fuel and frequent oil changes. I use Lucas fuel additive in both to address the fuel issues, and that seems to keep that under control. I definitely notice when I'm out on the road and forget to add the fuel additive ... the powerstoke will get real clattery and noisy although power is not necessarily down, but just not as smooth to drive and it won't start as easily when cold. It can take awhile to clear out once fuel additive is back into the system ....

Old 05-27-2010, 11:46 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
I would go with either. I am a Ford guy through and through and I would nab a Ford with a 7.3 in a heart beat. But I also like the 5.9 Cummins.

I like the fit and finish of the Ford better than the Dodge.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:05 PM

one thing is do the rams offer manual locking hubs?
I have a gas 91 F250 as my daily and prefer the manual hubs over the auto locking system just because it is one less thing to go wrong and is easy to fix if it does I never see rams with them though they all have the auto locking front hubs.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:32 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,382,489 times
Personal preference. The Dodge and Ford have had their share of recalls. The Fords (I think) have a more comfortable and spacious interior. As for the shifter: When it comes time to sell, automatics are more in demand as most people younger than me have never used a clutch, and don't particularly want one. Go to a boat or RV dealer and see what most of the customers are driving. Talk to them.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:08 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,222,868 times
Why not go for a 12v Cummins (94-98.5)??? If you're going to get a Dodge don't even bother with an auto, especially one mated to a diesel. Unless it has been built up it will inevitably fail unless your gonna drive it like a 90 year old granny. I have a 5spd NV4500 behind my 12v and its a great gear box just gotta take care of the 5th gear nut issue (which is more of an inconvenience than anything else if it fails) and your all set.

I am a big fan of the 12v's as they have the Bosch mechanical P7100 injector pump which is just pure gold in every respect. You can gain GOBS of power for cheap cheap cheap.... just throw on some gauges and a modified fuel plate and call it a day! The 12v was probably the last TRUE diesel engine available in a domestic pickup. The only wires running to the engine are for the fuel cutoff solenoid and gauges!!! ALL mechanical.

If I were to get a Ford diesel it would no doubt be a 7.3 However my thing with powerstrokes is that they are dime a dozen so you kind of lose the cool factor. Other than that its a bulletproof setup and you can't go wrong with the autos or manuals with Ford's HD configuration.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Why not go for a 12v Cummins (94-98.5)??? If you're going to get a Dodge don't even bother with an auto, especially one mated to a diesel. Unless it has been built up it will inevitably fail unless your gonna drive it like a 90 year old granny. I have a 5spd NV4500 behind my 12v and its a great gear box just gotta take care of the 5th gear nut issue (which is more of an inconvenience than anything else if it fails) and your all set.

I am a big fan of the 12v's as they have the Bosch mechanical P7100 injector pump which is just pure gold in every respect. You can gain GOBS of power for cheap cheap cheap.... just throw on some gauges and a modified fuel plate and call it a day! The 12v was probably the last TRUE diesel engine available in a domestic pickup. The only wires running to the engine are for the fuel cutoff solenoid and gauges!!! ALL mechanical.

If I were to get a Ford diesel it would no doubt be a 7.3 However my thing with powerstrokes is that they are dime a dozen so you kind of lose the cool factor. Other than that its a bulletproof setup and you can't go wrong with the autos or manuals with Ford's HD configuration.
hmm good point it is just hard find a good condition 94-98 ram without tons of miles or serious problems I am looking to spend $12.5K in cash and trade or sell my current F250 in so I will be in the 14.5-15K spending range. in total I have close to 17K saved but I was going to use $2K-3K to get it a full tune up and other misc things done to make sure it is in tip top condition for the summer towing season.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:50 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,251,461 times
You know I have a F-250 Super Duty with the 7.3L Powerstroke. I love that truck and am a Ford fanatic but you wouldn't have to twist my arm very much to drive the Dodge. I say whatever you can get the best deal on buddy! P.S. Toyota's suck!!!LMAO.........

Old 05-27-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
You know I have a F-250 Super Duty with the 7.3L Powerstroke. I love that truck and am a Ford fanatic but you wouldn't have to twist my arm very much to drive the Dodge. I say whatever you can get the best deal on buddy! P.S. Toyota's suck!!!LMAO.........
yeah I have a 91 gas powered F250 now and my dad has a 05 dodge ram 2500 5.9 24V with a cummins and my best friend has a 2007.5 ram 3500 with a 6.7 cummins. I have been saving for a newer model diesel truck to replace mine for about 2 years unlike the GTO which the truck is my daily driver and winter commuter. So it needs last 4-5 years of city and freeway driving and trips through the mountains towing a boat in 100 degree summer weather. which is one of the reasons my gas powered truck needs to go is it sucks at towing up steep grades and I end up doing 25-30mph up some huge grades.

I figured I would ask here because quite a few poster's own both types of trucks and their feedback is real world to be honest I am kind biased toward a ford because it has been great for me but when it comes to diesel it is a real toss between the 5.9 cummins and the 7.3 powerstroke because both are such great motors.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:05 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,251,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
yeah I have a 91 gas powered F250 now and my dad has a 05 dodge ram 2500 5.9 24V with a cummins and my best friend has a 2007.5 ram 3500 with a 6.7 cummins. I have been saving for a newer model diesel truck to replace mine for about 2 years unlike the GTO which the truck is my daily driver and winter commuter. So it needs last 4-5 years of city and freeway driving and trips through the mountains towing a boat in 100 degree summer weather. which is one of the reasons my gas powered truck needs to go is it sucks at towing up steep grades and I end up doing 25-30mph up some huge grades.
Either choice shames a gas truck in this department. You will be putting the Arnold Schwarzenegger under the hood and won't regret it one bit. A Diesel will do everything a gas will, only better!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive