Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 06:23 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times

Advertisements

I believe all the oil companies have been playing a form of russian roulette with our safety and well being for many years,just happened that it seemed to all go wrong for BP but it could have just as easily been any one of the other oil companies as they take shortcuts to maximize profits so that they and all their shareholders can make as much money as possible.Shareholders i might add that are usually normal people who have mutual fund investments in these oil companies.
Best way to make the oil companies hurt would be to just use less of their product on a permanent basis.I'm sure most people could cut their petroleum based energy usage in half with a few minor lifestyle changes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 08:44 AM

660 posts, read 1,653,711 times
I don't think BP is or was doing anything differently than all the rest of the oil companies do in offshore drilling rigs all over the world.

Accidents happen in ALL industrial sites.

I seriously doubt that BP wanted to see their multi-million dollar rig get destroyed, the loss of life of any of their employees, and the loss of hundreds of thousands of barrels of oil they could have sold.

Not only that, but they have to pay fines according to the amount that leaks each day, pay for the clean-up, pay insurance claims which will be sky high, and they are losing their profits.

No capitalist company wants such things to happen and remember that Obama praised BP's safety record only last year.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:56 AM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,046 times
I heard a report that said if BP were to have spent the money on extra safety precautions as they did on lobbyist the spill would have been avoided. Note BP has a very poor safety record and has faced many fines. Not all oil companys do business like BP .Some use more care.BP is already welching on paying the fishermen what they have lost so far if that tells you how hard it will be to make these SOBs pay up for ALL the damage they caused. I want JAIL TIME, see heads roll, people fired who slacked on the job and BP go broke if thats what it takes to pay back EVERY SINGLE PENNY.I WANT TO SEE CAPITALISM work like they say it does and for once not let it be about their profits but doing the right thing.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
I heard a report that said if BP were to have spent the money on extra safety precautions as they did on lobbyist the spill would have been avoided.
There are a LOT of things you might read or hear....the challenge is finding out who's giving you the truth.

BP has oil rigs all over the world, especially in the North Sea. I don't recall too many problems with them in particular.

And why did Obama praise them for their safety record last year? Did he overlook this alleged poor record because he received a huge chunk of campaign cash?

You do realize that accidents are called that for a reason don't you?

Old 05-31-2010, 09:46 AM

3,749 posts, read 12,405,738 times
1st - no I do not work for BP or the oil industry. I do however have an opinion on your suggestion.....If you are going to boycott anything, please boycott yourself. Boycott every turn of the ignition of your car, boat, lawn mower, ATV, etc. You, me and everyone else that uses gas and oil are the responsible ones.

Why do you think companies are expanding the exploration areas? Oil deposits are getting harder to find. They are deeper and a lot of oil being found is not good quality (aka "sweet crude") They are looking for large sweet crude pockets to keep providing the oil and gas at the reasonable price we demand. Oil deposits are getting harder to find so companies are looking in other less desirable areas to try and find them. Do you really think that having a well drilled at 5,000 feet below the ocean is cheap or easy?

Finally, BP may have ordered the well to be drilled but they are not the ones that did the drilling or the day to day monitoring of safety. BP did have contractural safety procedures in place and from what I understand, some were not followed and on others it can't be determined because of the blast. The work was CONTRACTED OUT. Personally I give BP a lot of credit for stepping up to the plate & saying YES we may not have directly caused it but we will take responsibility for this disaster. Haven't seen integrity from a large corporation in quite some time.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:05 AM

With all due respect Nativechief, if you post this same thread on multiple forums here on C-D, then you are coming very close to spamming.

Pick ONE appropriate forum and allow everyone there to comment.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:17 AM

16,671 posts, read 17,435,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTurner View Post
There are a LOT of things you might read or hear....the challenge is finding out who's giving you the truth.

BP has oil rigs all over the world, especially in the North Sea. I don't recall too many problems with them in particular.

And why did Obama praise them for their safety record last year? Did he overlook this alleged poor record because he received a huge chunk of campaign cash?

You do realize that accidents are called that for a reason don't you?
Talking to someone in the industry, certain equipment that is mandatory in the North Sea and other parts of the world would have prevented the spillage we have seen in the Gulf of Mexico where that equipment is not required.

Take that kind of decision of whether to fit that equipment away from the companies- either the main oil company or the sub contractor- and introduce legislation aimed at protecting the enviroment and drilling workers.

BTW, do people still have the same degree of anger at Exxon these days?

Old 05-31-2010, 10:31 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Any moronic attempt to boycott BP will harm thousands of people who depend on BP for their living wage. These are people all the way from the folk's at the wells to the folk's that pump your gas and everyone in between.

None of the folk's that are "working folk's" from the office worker to the gas jockey had anything to do with this man made disaster. The blame lay squarely in the boardroom with the executives of the company that make policy and working choices.

Then there is the real underlying owner of this disaster that is you and me or anyone who uses petroleum products of any kind. If there were no endless thirst for oil then no one would be drilling where the dangers are so very high.

So think about that next time you whine about gas prices............

Old 05-31-2010, 10:37 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
Really smart. BP goes under and then what? Actually other types of companies do this all the time. Purposefully hide assets, go bankrupt, disavow and run from all responsibilities and claims and then start up under a new name.
Very few corporations (or people) out there are totally without problems and lapeses. I'd rather see them stay around and for a large corporation they aren't all bad.
As for the fix - we are all in this together. Why don't you do something constructive and volunteer to clean beaches or something? Or come up with a brilliant solution.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:02 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,395,465 times
I don't use BP anyway...just sayin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive