Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 07:55 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,138,312 times

Advertisements

We need to boycott BP to show them that we dont like the way they do business. As a major oil company who has made billions while we suffer the economic hard times they need to know that its no longer their way 100% of the time. We should show as much concern for them as they have shown for us,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,none! Lets teach them a lesson at least as long as it takes for them to clean up every friggin drop of THEIR oil. Its a proactive way to protest what they have done to our beautiful country instead of just being mad about it..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 08:52 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,777,350 times
I agree....we should start a boycott and see how long it lasts before people give in and start buying BP fuels again.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:02 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times
I think we should stop the leak first then focus on blame and boycotts and teaching lessons.
because right now we can blame who or whatever we want and boycott BP but that won't stop the massive leak in the gulf.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:05 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
I guess I will have to start using them so that, subsequently, I can boycott them

Old 05-30-2010, 09:25 PM

174 posts, read 371,037 times
You need to stop and think about this. A lot of the
bp's are owned by private families. What happened was not their fault,and they had know control over it . This would just add more victims to what BP caused. Something needs to be done to BP butI don't think hurting these families is the answer. If you know that the station is corpate owned, then yes boycot it.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:38 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper54 View Post
You need to stop and think about this. A lot of the
bp's are owned by private families. What happened was not their fault,and they had know control over it . This would just add more victims to what BP caused. Something needs to be done to BP butI don't think hurting these families is the answer. If you know that the station is corpate owned, then yes boycot it.
this is one reason a boycott wont work. in the end if we boycotted every BP business at the retail level, they will just change their business model and sell their products to other companies using the labels of the other companies, and thus a boycott will have no effect on BP. it is also quite likely that BP would also just change their name at the retail level, and do it quietly, so that privately owned BP retailers wont be hurt. remember that we are dealing with a large multinational corporation, and anything we do will have little effect on their business.

in the end boycotts dont work.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:40 PM

890 posts, read 3,700,525 times
You think you can stop that leak better than they've been doing? Get on down there! I'm sure they'd love to hear your ideas.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:05 AM

3,071 posts, read 9,138,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosecitywanderer View Post
You think you can stop that leak better than they've been doing? Get on down there! I'm sure they'd love to hear your ideas.
I have one idea.. They are trying several methods to stop the leak right? Well why didnt they go ahead and be ready for plan B as they got ready for plan A. The latest device they "now have to fabricate: should have already been made so if plan A didnt work they could start plan B right then,, With that many people working you would think they had more than one fabrication crew...Its makes no since. So what if plan A worked and there became no need for the second device,,,It would still have been better to have had it ready,,,,what am I not seeing here.? Maybe they didnt want to spend the money until they were sure they wouldnt build something and not need it.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:28 AM

16,667 posts, read 17,430,851 times
Here's a thought.

BP were using a contractor that, as far as I know, was following the requirements set by the legislators for the drilling of oil.

A company will often look to get away with the minimum that is asked of it, so would it not be prudent to make companies follow guidelines that are mandatory in other parts of the world, including caps which I'm told would have prevented this kind of blow-out.

I'm not here to defend BP or the oil industry but are the ones who get up in arms about this also the same ones who yell when gas prices start to rise?

I would add that the whole incident saddens me deeply and hope that it is resolved as quickly as possible.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:59 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,743,954 times
Let's wait until they get the leak fixed and the mess all cleaned up, so the tax payers don't have to pay for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive