Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 08:19 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,784,131 times

Advertisements

Wanted to see what some of you thought...I know either can be dim at times depending on what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 09:41 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,135,360 times
I have sealed beams on my old Nissan pickup, and composites on my Corolla. The Corolla's headlights are much brighter, especially on high beam. I wish we would go back to sealed beams, however. The composites are hard to aim, and seldom are aimed. They are often too bright for oncoming traffic, and are way more expensive than they're worth. Sealed beams are inexpensive, do an adequate job, are easily changed and aimed.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:45 PM

890 posts, read 3,701,920 times
I love my clear-lens composite headlights. My only complaint is that the plastic hazes over from UV exposure so replacement is almost inevitable.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:48 PM

404 posts, read 1,557,393 times
i like composites because they tend to look cool

thats all, really. the car i have now is my first with composites. they do glow brighter then any sealed beams i've ever driven, but its nothing to write home about unless comparing them to my old volvo sealed beams. i drive that car at night now and can't believe how i ever got by with them. i can't see crap

i want to get me some of those blue bulb things when i get replacements, 'tho. the xenons or w/e they are called

Old 05-30-2010, 10:21 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Replacement bulbs for modern headlights are highly variable. If you buy the cheapest bulbs you can find at a discount store, they are not nearly as bright as a more expensive name brand.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:28 AM

660 posts, read 1,654,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosecitywanderer View Post
I love my clear-lens composite headlights. My only complaint is that the plastic hazes over from UV exposure so replacement is almost inevitable.

Many auto parts suppliers such as AutoZone carry a composite headlight restoration kit which is like a polish. It'll make them look like new again. I've used it on some that were actually yellowed and it made them look just like new.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ploopy View Post
i

i want to get me some of those blue bulb things when i get replacements, 'tho. the xenons or w/e they are called

Those blue or rainbow bulbs aren't any brighter...that's all just for looks. That's just a coating on the halogen bulb. I actually think they are not as bright as the standard halogen.

Xenon headlamps are a completely different thing and are VERY expensive. You're vehicle has to come factory equipped with all the special wiring and such for xenon (or you buy an expensive conversion kit). They draw a lot more power, get hotter, and they don't turn on immediately (with a tiny delay like with a ballast for a fluorescent bulb)

Old 05-31-2010, 08:47 AM

5,879 posts, read 9,253,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTurner View Post
Those blue or rainbow bulbs aren't any brighter...that's all just for looks. That's just a coating on the halogen bulb. I actually think they are not as bright as the standard halogen.

Xenon headlamps are a completely different thing and are VERY expensive. You're vehicle has to come factory equipped with all the special wiring and such for xenon (or you buy an expensive conversion kit). They draw a lot more power, get hotter, and they don't turn on immediately (with a tiny delay like with a ballast for a fluorescent bulb)
Those must be those GD purple/blue headlights found on European cars and Cadillacs. Those d*** things nearly blind you if you don't look away!!

Old 05-31-2010, 08:51 AM

Well, xenons are a very pure white light that might look a bit purple at an angle, but yes, they are BLINDINGLY bright to oncoming traffic.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:59 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,348,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTurner View Post

Xenon conversion kits have actually plummeted in price, with (great quality, hard to believe, I know) Chinese made systems readily available online. It's advisable to avoid installing them in cars without automatic headlight leveling though, as you'll easily blind whoever comes towards you, especially if you don't have projection headlights.

It's also worth mentioning that not all "bright" halogen light bulbs are merely coated for looks. The bulbs from high quality manufacturers like Phillips and Osram are filled with Xenon gas, which allows for higher intensity burn, without significantly higher temperatures. They're generally also coated with a mild blue tone because the whiter light more accurately emulate daylight, which is better for the eyes as well as giving you more visibility. Though they're not revolutionary, I've owned several different types, and they do provide noticeably better light, both in color temperature as well as intensity, the downside is that they burn out much faster and cost about twice of a standard bulb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
Those must be those GD purple/blue headlights found on European cars and Cadillacs. Those d*** things nearly blind you if you don't look away!!
You're not supposed to look directly at them anyway, bud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive