U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 11:05 AM

5,244 posts, read 15,572,523 times

Advertisements

Is there such a thing? I love my Eclipse, but that thing killed me. 12 grand in 18 months in repairs. I literally replaced almost everything except the engine. It would be on the road a few months and then back in the shop for a month. Parking it nearly killed me. I tell my husband all the time I love that car more than him. LOL

I have a Miata now - an NA. 17 years old and runs great, looks great, is fun to drive. Having some slave cylinder (?) issues, but for a 17 year old car I'd expect that.

The Miata is fun, but no power and I miss taking the corners fast. It's time to look for another sporty car. I'd looked very briefly at the 300ZX but from what I'm reading here it'll be just like the Eclipse with repairs. I'd love a Trans Am WS-6, which is what I'm reading up on as much as I can. Any thoughts on that car?

Any other sporty car with a bit of power that's actually semi-affordable to repair? And please, don't tell me an Altima or something. I prefer a two seater but will take a fake four seater - you know, it's got a back seat but no real human would sit there. I was sporty, flashy, sports car type. Nothing that would give anyone any hint that I might be a responsible mature human!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 11:09 AM

11,031 posts, read 26,669,435 times
go with your dream car and get the Tran-Am WS6 the LS1 is bullet proof in stock form and the T-56 is beefy it handles and stops very good and they are pretty affordable

also a 99-04 mustang GT is worth a look they are a great bargin right now because everyone wants the retro look 05-09 versions so these are overlooked and their prices reflect that also if you want shelby GT-500 performance for less than 20K the 03-04 mustang cobra is a steal of a deal.

Last edited by GTOlover; 05-31-2010 at 11:22 AM..

Old 05-31-2010, 11:14 AM

4,472 posts, read 16,730,009 times
How much are you looking to spend?

I feel the same way you do, I like to have a 'fun' vehicle that won't give anyone ideas that I work a normal day job! I really love my Corvette Convertible, I bought it used and have had ZERO problems with it. I paid less than half of the cost of a new 'Vette and I can tell just by looking at the paint/engine/interior that this was a garage queen.

Are you wanting an American muscle car like a Camaro or a Japanese or European sports coupe?

Old 05-31-2010, 11:24 AM

8,778 posts, read 18,626,174 times
First rule when it comes to buying used. Stay away from "kid" cars. They tend to be bottomless pits after 60K or so.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:38 AM

5,007 posts, read 14,511,965 times
350Z. Lots of fun, reliable, and fairly cheap.

I loved mine.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
go with your dream car and get the Tran-Am WS6 the LS1 is bullet proof in stock form and the T-56 is beefy it handles and stops very good and they are pretty affordable

also a 99-04 mustang GT is worth a look they are a great bargin right now because everyone wants the retro look 05-09 versions so these are overlooked and their prices reflect that also if you want shelby GT-500 performance for less than 20K the 03-04 mustang cobra is a steal of a deal.
I really do like the WS-6. I just hate the interior. Even the last year they made, the '02, looks like an 80s interior. So plain and boring. I'd love to have one and customize the interior. Re-do the seats in all leather, update the dash to all digital. *sigh* Of course I could deal with the boring interior for now and look later at snazzing up the interior.

I've got a co-worker with a 2004 Mach Mustang that he's reallllllly put some money into. He's easily invested over $80k in that thing. It's been in magazines and he's been racing it. That car is crazy fast. It scares me, and I don't scare easy in a car. Holy crap! Absolutely gorgeous car. Never been a Mustang fan until I saw his and went for a spin. It's a possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
How much are you looking to spend?

I feel the same way you do, I like to have a 'fun' vehicle that won't give anyone ideas that I work a normal day job! I really love my Corvette Convertible, I bought it used and have had ZERO problems with it. I paid less than half of the cost of a new 'Vette and I can tell just by looking at the paint/engine/interior that this was a garage queen.

Are you wanting an American muscle car like a Camaro or a Japanese or European sports coupe?
Would really like to stay under $10k and newer than 1999. I'm driving a 17 year old car now, so age / mileage isn't too much of an issue for me. It's more the style I"m looking at. And if I can pick something up that I like dirt cheap and drop a few thousand into it and know it'll be good after that, that's fine as well.

I love the Vettes, but I hate getting in / out of them. Dated a guy that went through three of them and I despised every single one. They sit so low and his had a 'wall', for lack of a better term, that you had to step up and over. Just wasn't a fan at all of the design inside. From the outside, total http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc59/dave3fl/thtongue.png (broken link) but can't get past the uncomfortable part inside. He loved it. And was 6'4". I never did figure out how he was able to fold himself up so well to get in and out.

It doesn't matter to me where it comes from. Just looking for a style I like at an affordable price that's easy (financially) to maintain. This one will go to a mechanic for repairs. The Miata is my project car and I'm having a heck of a time learning on it. Not about to try to undertake a second one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
First rule when it comes to buying used. Stay away from "kid" cars. They tend to be bottomless pits after 60K or so.
Yeh. I think that was the issue with the Eclipse. Looks brand new inside. Flawless, stunning black leather interior. Dashboard is in perfect condition. The dealership where I had all the work done to it said that's very unheard of. Apparently they were known for cracking and fading quick.

Absolutely gorgeous car. But it's just an absolute mechanical nightmare. Breaks my heart. My daughter had it for a while, but she was afraid of it. She likes my Miata and is wanting something she can putter around in that doesn't have much power. I swear that girl must have been switched at birth; there's no way a child of mine could want a car that doesn't have power!

Old 05-31-2010, 12:08 PM

5,008 posts, read 11,779,479 times
I have a 2003 BMW Z4 2.5i. You can get the 3.0 and the 3.0si for under 10k now from those model years.

The thing with a lot of sporty cars is when you start getting up there in age, the horsepower and torque tend to degrade over time. But, my bimmer is doing quite well for its age. I still really enjoy driving it.

I don't have any real complaints regarding my car. The only complaint may be the high cost of taking it in for routine maintenance ... replacing the front brakes cost $550! I did it myself for $300. But, the flip side of the coin is, you don't have to replace oil every 3000 miles, it's every 12000 with the synthetic oils they use. 10000 if you do it yourself. And that's the key ... routine maintenance on those cars are far between, so trade off more frequent but cheaper maintenance vs. less frequent but more expensive repairs.

And, since the cost of repairs is so high, I HIGHLY recommend getting a pre-certified car from the dealer with an extension to the warranty, if they offer it. At least for BMW.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:34 PM

504 posts, read 2,468,091 times
S2000, 350Z like another person said, another Miata, anything Japanese.

I have an E46 M3 but maintenance on German cars is always more.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:45 PM

10,494 posts, read 25,656,687 times
You could get a last generation Honda Prelude. They are known to be very reliable, just avoid the automatics as those transmissions are known to be troublesome.

http://www.lips-kit.com/images/prelude-oem-2-rear-lip.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-31-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
You could get a last generation Honda Prelude. They are known to be very reliable, just avoid the automatics as those transmissions are known to be troublesome.
I did like those. My sister had one. And I do like Hondas...........

Avoid the automatic? Gah! I despise automatics!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive