Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 06:13 PM

758 posts, read 1,235,888 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if you all think this is smart planning? Currently, I have a 2000 Honda Civic which is still running good and paid off but I am thinking of saving $$ and buying a newer used car like 2007 or 2008 in cash just in case my Honda Civic breaks down, I will not be driving the newer car until my Civic dies. My parents said it is a waste of money but I disagree and it is good for emergiences just in case it breaks down, I can use the new car to go to work or do errands if needed. What is your opinions? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 06:25 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
yeah as long as you maintain your current car saving the $$$ for the day when you need to buy another car after yours dies is very smart planning. just put it in a high interest savings account that you can put money into each pay cheque that is seperate from you other saving and chequing accounts so you don't touch it till you need it.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:26 PM

53 posts, read 221,664 times
So your going to buy a car that will sit in your garage until your old one dies?

Your parents are right, it is a waste of money because you will be paying insurance for a car you rarely use and the car will also depreciate over time.

Instead, you should save your money until you can trade your current car in and get a newer car. If you are that worried about it braking down I would get a bus pass.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amark View Post
So your going to buy a car that will sit in your garage until your old one dies?

Your parents are right, it is a waste of money because you will be paying insurance for a car you rarely use and the car will also depreciate over time.

Instead, you should save your money until you can trade your current car in and get a newer car. If you are that worried about it braking down I would get a bus pass.

Good point

Old 06-03-2010, 06:48 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
Figure out how much money you're willing to spend on a monthly car payment. Put that money aside in a separate savings account. Get with your bank to automatically transfer that amount from your direct deposit account to this savings account. Then when your Civic totally dies or begins to break down, you'll be able to afford to either repair the car or use the Civic and your savings as a down payment on the next car of your choice.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:55 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,135,306 times
don't buy your replacement car til you current car needs replacing~ if you wish to buy the replacement ditch the old car and drive the newer one!

Saving so you have cash to pay for replacement now is definitely good sense~ just don't purchase car til needed!

Old 06-03-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Figure out how much money you're willing to spend on a monthly car payment. Put that money aside in a separate savings account. Get with your bank to automatically transfer that amount from your direct deposit account to this savings account. Then when your Civic totally dies or begins to break down, you'll be able to afford to either repair the car or use the Civic and your savings as a down payment on the next car of your choice.
I don't want car payments, when I had car payments which is $400 a month for 3 years, it was hell although I did pay it off a year early! I rather pay it in cash so I do not have to worry about car payments

Old 06-03-2010, 08:40 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times
I agree, it wouldn't make financial sense to purchase a vehicle, pay registration and insurance, and let sit in the garage until the old car dies. Once you get a new car...you won't want to drive the old car and more than likely the old one will remain in the garage. If you can afford a new car, why not just buy one? What will it hurt?

OR you could wait until you start having any sort of problems with your current vehicle and THEN decide to buy a different vehicle. My 2 cents...

Old 06-03-2010, 09:36 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
The Civic should last somewhere between forever and infinity.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:57 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDFreaker View Post
I am wondering if you all think this is smart planning? Currently, I have a 2000 Honda Civic which is still running good and paid off but I am thinking of saving $$ and buying a newer used car like 2007 or 2008 in cash just in case my Honda Civic breaks down, I will not be driving the newer car until my Civic dies. My parents said it is a waste of money but I disagree and it is good for emergiences just in case it breaks down, I can use the new car to go to work or do errands if needed. What is your opinions? Thank you!
First, if you have made the effort to take care of your car, it should last for 15 years of 200k miles, especially the Honda Civic.

Second, there is no guarantee that your next car will be as reliable. I have seen friend after friend dump cars with 100k miles and have the new one in the shop 3-4 times the 1st year.

Third, Hertz and Enterprise can deliver a car to you in minutes if your car breaks down. Even if your car is out of service for FOUR days, you will probably NOT spend $200.

Fourth, if you buy an extra car, it is another one to maintain and you will have to insure it, which may not be cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive