Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 03:59 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,695,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekygisela View Post
Amazing how close the sales figures are for the top 3 cars here. A total difference of under 200 cars. I actually was surprised to see the A8 doing the worst, but in terms of flagship luxury, you really only see the 7-series, S-Class, and LS.
I'm surprised to see the 7-Series doing so well, I rarely see them around here! I see many S-Classes and Lexus LS sedans but the 7 Series has always been a rarity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 06:32 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times
Well, first of all, I already know it needs an alignment and tire rotation. That's not the rattle though. I had an Explorer that made the same sound, and it turned out to be the drip-catcher under the crank case. It had rusted where the screw was, and come loose, and the rust was too bad to replace the screw. So they just took the drip-catcher off and told me I might find a few drops of oil on my driveway from time to time.

I'm guessing that Jaguars don't have drip-catchers though. So I'm not sure what it could be. I'll start the car without touching the gas pedal. Then I'll put it in reverse and apply some gas to back out of the driveway - it'll rattle pretty loudly, til I gain speed, then it'll go back to its usual soft purring kitty-cat roar that I love so much. Then I'll flip it into drive and - drive. And it'll rattle again as soon as I apply the gas, then calm down again once it gains speed. Upon shifting (it's an automatic) it'll make some of the rattling again - it's hard to tell with the sound of the road and everything else - it's definitely a sound I hear OUTSIDE the car, and not inside the cabin. I didn't even realize it was making that sound til the weather got nice and I was driving with the window open. It's more prominent when I'm at a drive-thru window and the sound bounces off the drive-thru speaker/menu thingie. It really just sounds like something loose rattling against metal. Not grinding. Could even be a loose bracket for the muffler. I haven't had it tuned up yet and it's overdue. I'm just praying it isn't something that needs repair. They just cut my hours back and I'm working for grocery money.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:42 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,079,146 times
I actually see BMW 7's and Mercedes S's fairly often with the occasional Lexus LS showing its face. I can't remember the last time I've seen an Audi A8 on the road.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:46 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,310,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Well, first of all, I already know it needs an alignment and tire rotation. That's not the rattle though. I had an Explorer that made the same sound, and it turned out to be the drip-catcher under the crank case. It had rusted where the screw was, and come loose, and the rust was too bad to replace the screw. So they just took the drip-catcher off and told me I might find a few drops of oil on my driveway from time to time.

I'm guessing that Jaguars don't have drip-catchers though. So I'm not sure what it could be. I'll start the car without touching the gas pedal. Then I'll put it in reverse and apply some gas to back out of the driveway - it'll rattle pretty loudly, til I gain speed, then it'll go back to its usual soft purring kitty-cat roar that I love so much. Then I'll flip it into drive and - drive. And it'll rattle again as soon as I apply the gas, then calm down again once it gains speed. Upon shifting (it's an automatic) it'll make some of the rattling again - it's hard to tell with the sound of the road and everything else - it's definitely a sound I hear OUTSIDE the car, and not inside the cabin. I didn't even realize it was making that sound til the weather got nice and I was driving with the window open. It's more prominent when I'm at a drive-thru window and the sound bounces off the drive-thru speaker/menu thingie. It really just sounds like something loose rattling against metal. Not grinding. Could even be a loose bracket for the muffler. I haven't had it tuned up yet and it's overdue. I'm just praying it isn't something that needs repair. They just cut my hours back and I'm working for grocery money.
plz don't get mad or offended but why did you purchase a luxury car if you knew you could not afford to maintain it?

you must have known that jaguar's were not very reliable cars compared to non-luxury car's like a honda civic and surely you would know that they would cost more to maintain the a regular average car. It's the type of car you have to be 100% on top of maintaining at proper intervals becasue letting a small thing go on these cars can turn into a big thing very fast if not taken care of ASAP.

anyways I hope it is nothing serious or a simple fix and it works out for you I was just curious thats all

Last edited by GTOlover; 06-05-2010 at 06:58 PM..

Old 06-05-2010, 07:53 PM

I paid cash, it was under $20,000 and still had a few months manufacturer's warrantee on it, and I've wanted one since I was a little girl. That's why I got it. Also, notice the last sentence in my post, which you were kind enough to include in your quote:

Quote:
They just cut my hours back and I'm working for grocery money.
That was not the case when I bought it two years ago.

Oh also - I was looking at the time for another SUV to replace my Ford Explorer. I wanted 4WD. Honda Civics are definitely reliable, but it had -none- of the criteria I wanted for a vehicle. The Jaguar X-Type is AWD. Also, it's been pretty reliable so far and other than certain *potential* electrical problems that I knew about in advance, are also known to be reliable.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:17 PM

1,780 posts, read 4,025,701 times
What about the Jaguar XJ and the Cadillac DTS?

Old 06-05-2010, 10:13 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,420,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
What about the Jaguar XJ and the Cadillac DTS?

What about them?

The XJ didn't really have a current model for this year. Technically, they skipped a production year to make room for the all-new one.

They have a 2009 and the new one is the 2010, but the 2009 model was released in late 2008, and the 2010 isn't in showrooms yet.

And the DTS is irrelevant. It doesn't really fit in any of the categories. The cars it competes with (5-series / GS/ES / E-class) all blow it out of the water.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:52 PM

660 posts, read 1,653,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

It sounds as if this is a fairly new Jag? If so, everything you mention including the wheel rotation and alignment is covered under the warranty and won't cost you a penny.

Mine's a 2004 (bought late in the year) and my warranty is still in effect until the end of this Month!

I would guess that you've broken or lost one of the rubber exhaust hangers.

With the car shut off and sitting still, just wiggle the two chrome exhaust tips vigorously and see if you hear anything banging metal against metal.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:57 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,161,362 times
Need to consider lease terms on any luxury car, as >60% of them are 2-3yr leases, terms often subsidized by mfr to move units

Also, many (~30-50%) of luxury cars are leased through some corporate entity, so taxpayers are subsidizing the leases for corporate welfare

And often huge difference between socio-economics of median driver of a new $100K Merc S550 and a new $200K S65 or CL65, let alone BMW or Toyo

In SiliconValley, will often see top engineers and VCs commuting in some new S65 or CL65 (more of a car culture and engineers and quants tend to enjoy driving brilliantly-engineered machines), yet in MidtownManhattan will often see similarly wealthy financiers being driven around in a scuffed-up S550 w/a $100K+/yr driver...car cultures vary dramatically between SV and Manhattan, even among similarly wealthy guys with no need to advertise their net worth via their choice of commuter car

Old 06-07-2010, 07:30 AM

JRTurner, thanks for the advice! I'll take a look before I head off to work today. I'm pretty sure it's "something" that came loose and just needs to either be tightened, replaced, or removed and disregarded. It's only the replacement costs that would concern me.

Mine's a 2003, so the warrantee's gone. I've had the car for 2 years so the extended warrantee's gone too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive