Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 08:30 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,206,770 times

Advertisements

I am graduating from Rutgers with a degree in mechanical and aerospace engineering in 1 month. I need a well paying job in Aerospace engineering afterwards. I applied for several jobs which were very interesting in Boeing ,Parker Hannifin, GE aviation, Honeywell aerospace, and many more that suited all the qualifications. Yet, my applications always gets rejected or remain under review for unusually long periods of time. I want to know what I am doing wrong. Why is it so difficult for a person with 3.65 GPA and engineering internship experience in India during the summer of 2013 to get a job in Aerospace Engineering. The resume critiquing service at my college says that my resume is well organized and suited for a job. So, what in the end is expected of people who wish to be employed in the aerospace field. Please help me out here. Each and every bit of advice posted will be very critical for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 01:52 PM

596 posts, read 982,750 times
I never worked as an engineer, but in a lot of jobs "who you know" is at least as important as "what you know." Do you know anyone who can walk your resume into the personnel department? Are you on good terms with any of your professors who may have connections in the industry? You need to stand out from the crowd in some way, otherwise your resume will just wind up in the cylindrical file. Good luck, bro.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:34 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
+1 on the "who you know". Many of the public job listings for major corporations are for jobs that are in fact already filled, but there's a process they need to follow. Those jobs are already filled by someone who was known by someone.

Does Rutgers have any sort of job placement office? If so, see whether they can help.

In the USA, much aerospace is connected to government contractors. If you can't qualify for a USA secret clearance (top secret would be even better), that's a significant handicap.

Aerospace, in general, is contracting in size due to the economy (which has not, in truth, come anywhere near to recovery) and also the draw-downs from the Middle East.

An academic's idea of a well-organized resume does not necessarily match a corporate HR department's idea of a well-organized resume. During one of my layoffs I hired a resume-writer to overhaul mine. He completely re-organized it and explained to me why he was doing it.

You might try to get a job using the head-hunters. They may get you "in the door" some place, even if it's not your ideal job to start with, and then you'll have a network within which to switch to the job you really want.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:30 PM

24,467 posts, read 25,999,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I am graduating from Rutgers with a degree in mechanical and aerospace engineering in 1 month. I need a well paying job in Aerospace engineering afterwards. I applied for several jobs which were very interesting in Boeing ,Parker Hannifin, GE aviation, Honeywell aerospace, and many more that suited all the qualifications. Yet, my applications always gets rejected or remain under review for unusually long periods of time. I want to know what I am doing wrong. Why is it so difficult for a person with 3.65 GPA and engineering internship experience in India during the summer of 2013 to get a job in Aerospace Engineering. The resume critiquing service at my college says that my resume is well organized and suited for a job. So, what in the end is expected of people who wish to be employed in the aerospace field. Please help me out here. Each and every bit of advice posted will be very critical for me.
Aldi, a aerospace is as a very rewarding and wide has wide ranging career options, but you need to focus on your career objectives. Sometimes or the most of the time the most big name companies are not the way to go

Pick a specialty get good at it and keep you resume up to date.

Big name companies are not the way to go, start small, go big.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:55 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
you need to dress for the part

Old 04-09-2014, 09:12 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
I am graduating from Rutgers with a degree in mechanical and aerospace engineering in 1 month..
Graduate as what?

Quote:
I need a well paying job in Aerospace engineering afterwards..
Almost every graduate has that dream.

Quote:
I applied for several jobs which were very interesting in Boeing ,Parker Hannifin, GE aviation, Honeywell aerospace, and many more that suited all the qualifications..
This is your perspective.

Quote:
Yet, my applications always gets rejected or remain under review for unusually long periods of time. .
Stand on the other side of the fence. What is the hiring manger really looking for versus what do you bring to the table.

Quote:
I want to know what I am doing wrong..
Read your post.

Quote:
Why is it so difficult for a person with 3.65 GPA and engineering internship experience in India during the summer of 2013 to get a job in Aerospace Engineering..
A GPA of 3.65 and an internship with a corporation with no or limited ties to the US. Basically low GPS and no networking/face time in the US.

Quote:
The resume critiquing service at my college says that my resume is well organized and suited for a job. .
Career Services is not necessarily up to speed. Just look at their backgrounds:>(

Quote:
So, what in the end is expected of people who wish to be employed in the aerospace field. Please help me out here. Each and every bit of advice posted will be very critical for me.
You will not want to hear this - a) Loose the floral English b) Network, network, network even though you missed the train of internships and probably school placements. c) Get the resume polished. Send a link by PM if you want to. d) Get realistic expectations of what you bring to the table versus what you want. It is a buyer's market out there in most industries. e) work through professional associations f) It is unlikely that recruiters are interested in you but without more info that is hard to say. g) 30 days shy of graduation take anything you can get, volunteer, intern. g) If you qualify for gov jobs the application can take a year or more.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:35 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I would strongly suggest you concentrate more on selling your mechanical engineering skills instead of concentration on aerospace. As a poster mentioned aerospace is a shrinking industry faced with cutbacks by the government and foreign competition. There are few jobs and they are mostly taken by "brothers and relatives".

There are many industries in need of talented Mechanical Engineers. These range from transportation ranging from mining trucks, through railroads and rail equipment to farm machinery. Cast your net widely and look to get experience even if the pay is less than the sacred aerospace.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:52 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,459,170 times
You may want to try some of the major airlines first. All the major airlines have engineers as well.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:10 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
...A GPA of 3.65 and an internship with a corporation with no or limited ties to the US. Basically low GPS and no networking/face time in the US.
A GPA of 3.65 is *not* low. Corporations are leery of hiring people with astronomical GPAs because they tend to be very narrowly-focused and perfectionists. "Perfection is the enemy of productivity."

Old 04-09-2014, 04:23 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,530 times
Quote:
Just remember that those companies probably have thousands of people applying for jobs. They might want someone with experience at another company first.

Are the resumes scanned by a computer? If so, it doesn't matter how well organized your resume is. The computer is probably looking for keywords.

Keyword System Scans Your Resume At Large Companies - Business Insider
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation